Search

Linville Falls?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Linville Falls?

Is this one large park with many trails to many falls? There are many waterfalls listed when I search for falls in/near Asheville. How far is Linville Falls from Asheville.
Is there a better place to go? Highland falls? (how far from Asheville?) or Pisgah falls? (again, how far from Asheville?)
Are these other areas actually parks or are they senic areas that you can just by while you are driving around?
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 12:37 PM

Linville Falls is by far the prettiest of the falls you have mentioned. It is a large are but you can see most of it with just a short walk. If you don't mind a longer hike you can go to other areas and get other vantage points. Linville Falls comes from the Linville River, separate to 2 falls then through a gorge and over another large falls. It is about 1 and 1/2 hours from Asheville and it is about 20 minutes from Grandfather Mtn. The Linville Falls area is right off the Blue Ridge Parkway about 5 minutes from the town of Linville Falls. You can not at present time go the Parkway all the way from Asheville anymore to Linville Falls because the flooding last year. The Parkway is blocked right past the Linville Falls town entrance. If you are in Linville Falls town be sure and eat at Famous Louise's Rockhouse Restaurant!!
Happy Travels, AprilA
[email protected]
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info! That helps a lot. it's so hard to know what to do. It sounds like it would be good to go to Linville Falls if we choose to go to Grandfather Mountain, but if we do Chimney Rock it seems like it would be the opposite direction. We only have two days in Asheville, one of them we are considering going to Biltmore.

I like the idea of Linville Falls b/c it sounds like it's not very time consuming, yet beautiful. This is good since we don't have a lot of time.

Are there any good falls near Chimney Rock if we decide to go there instead of Grandfather Mountain? That way maybe we can decide which we would want to do more.
Old Aug 13th, 2005, 01:12 PM
maj

AprilA

Are you allowed to take dogs on these trails? (on leash, of course)
Old Aug 13th, 2005, 01:14 PM

Lots of easily accessable waterfalls near Brevard.

www.visitwaterfalls.com

also:

www.ncwaterfalls.com

http://www.ncwaterfalls.com/index2.htm
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 05:39 PM

I have seen dogs at Linville Falls but I have never noticed if there are signs actually allowing or disallowing it. The websites given above might help you locate waterfalls near Chimney Rock and Asheville. I'm sure there are many, I'm just not really familiar with them.
AprilA
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 05:23 PM

There's actually a very high and beautiful waterfall (404 feet high) inside Chimney Rock Park. And there are many waterfalls in the area between Brevard and Highlands.
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 12:07 PM

Try this website for good info about NC waterfalls http://www.itpi.dpi.state.nc.us/caro...s/default.html