Niagara Falls Activities

Search

Niagara Falls Activities

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Niagara Falls Activities

Want to really 'experience Niagara Falls' with family of five. Looking at Maid of the Mist, Journey Behind the Falls and Cave of the Winds. Which is best and why? Can't do all three, two may be possible - appreciate your insights. Thanks.
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 10:37 AM

Maid of the Mist is a blast, especially on a hot day. How to explain taking a boat ride through the base of the falls? Amazing. Cave of the winds is also really cool. You actually walk under a small part of the falls. both give you raingear (Cave of the winds gives you flimsy sandals to wear so you dont ruin your own footwear). Cant speak for Journey behind the falls as I havent experienced it. One of my favorite things to do, and those I've taken to the FAlls also love it, is to walk across the Rainbow Bridge, rather than drive. You will get a spectacular view of the falls from the bridge. You can walk at your own pace. Also, its fun to "walk" through customs rather than be questioned by the agents at the booths on the bridge. Note that there is a 50 Cent per person toll for pedestrians. (I think its about 2.50 for a car)
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 10:41 AM

I found Niagara Falls to be overhyped and an underachieving place. It was kinda tacky and other than the falls which are spectacular, there wasn't much that we really enjoyed. There are so many multidimensional places to visit in New York state alone that I find much more interesting and with many more worthwile things to do...Start with the Adirondack region, followed by the Finger Lakes, the resort regions of Lake George, even Albany...and of course, NYC goes without saying.
Nonetheless, Hope you have a great time!
Regards,
Jacob Marley
Regards,
Jacob Marley
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 10:46 AM

I think everyone should see Niagara Falls at least once in their lifetime.

We also had a blast on Maid of the Mist. Old Fort Niagara is another place to visit.

http://nysparks.state.ny.us/sites/info.asp?siteID=22

Have a great trip!
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 10:51 AM

My favorites were Maid of the Mist and Cave of the Winds.
The Maid because you get the best sense of just how huge the falls are.
The Cave of the Winds because you feel the force of the falls. Standing on the hurricane deck was such a rush.
The Journey behind the falls is interesting, but at the Cave of the Winds you can actually touch the rocks that the falls come crashing down on. So if I had to choose I would pick the Cave tour.
Don't let Jacob discourage you from visiting Niagara. We had a fantastic time. It is such an awesome sight to behold. We still talk about how much we enjoyed that trip. As with any vacation, it is what you make of it. Jacob must have had an entirely different experience than we did.
Have a wonderful time!
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 11:57 AM

I agree with the others to do Maid of the Mist and Cave of the Winds if you can only do two. They will give you the best perspectives of the Falls.

I agree that everyone should experience Niagara Falls. The first time I went, I listened to the "you only need one day", "it's not worth the effort", "it's too touristy", etc. comments and only stayed for a day and night. I regret not enjoying it for what it is and being "too good for touristy", and therefore am going back next month for 4 days to really enjoy it.
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 12:13 PM

Another fun thing,not too far away is the butterfly Conservatory. Its on the Can. side and has an admission fee so it may not fit your travel budget. It is a live musuem, full of beautiful butterflies. Wear bright colored clothing to attract the butterflies to you.
Old Jul 6th, 2007, 04:59 AM

I second the Fort Niagara idea, very interesting. It is about 30 - 40 minutes north of the Falls on the American side and has a wonderful huge park right outside it that I thought would be a great place to take kids. We also loved the Maid of the Mist and the Cave of the Winds. I think the area is well worth a couple of days. Have fun!