Search

museum of flight - how many hours?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2004, 09:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
museum of flight - how many hours?

Hi

From everything i've been reading on these posts, The MoF sounds exciting. I'm planning to visit Seattle over the Memorial day weekend [end of May]. I'll take my chances with the weather. Went the prev year around the same time to Vancouver and know how misty or drizzly it can get, but that's ok - "do in rome as romans do".

anyway, back to my question : how many hours should we allocate for the museum? My husband is crazy about flying and airplanes and would LOVE the simulator, airforce One as well as the new concorde that's been added to the fleet. But at the same time he can't stick around museums for more than a few hours. Is that enuf time to see it all and not rush through everything - 2.5-3 hours? Or is it likely to take much longer or much less than i'm guessing ? I heard there are a few short movies also that are shown.

Thanks for all info.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 05:28 AM

The Museum of Flight is a great place! But yes, 2-3 hours are usually plenty, even for aviation buffs. Get in line early for Air Force One...the later in the day the longer the line gets. We just moved away from the area last month, but went to the museum numerous times and absolutely loved it.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 05:57 AM

Normally I would recommend 2-4 hours (pretty much in line with what mms said). However, over Memerial Day Weekend (when you are there) the museum will feature a "SALUTE TO AMERICA'S ARMED FORCES" event, which will bring big crowds so get there early. Not sure exactly what the program will comprise of, but my guess is that a normal 2-4 hour visit may require 4-6 hours. I'm pretty sure there will be lots of additional military aircraft parked out back.

Ken

Note: In early June they open the new "Personal Courage Wing" - a 88,000 sf extention (just a bit too late for your visit).
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 06:00 AM

Ken, thanks for the information! My dh just retired from the military so we may have to make a trip back up that way for the weekend event.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 06:02 AM

PS: Link to Museum of Flight website:

http://www.museumofflight.org/index.html

If you were there at another time, I'd also recommend the tour of the Everett airplane plant (http://www.boeing.com/companyoffices/aboutus/tours/). On weekends and holidays however the tour does not run.

Ken
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 06:06 AM

mms - Notice on the website: "The event is free with Museum admission. On May 31, admission is free for veterans and current U.S. military personnel"

Ken
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 06:37 AM

Ken, even better! Thanks!
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

thanks all of you. Just to clarify a few things : we will be in Seattle from approx May 27th or 28th till probably May 31st or June 1st. I will check out the museum's website to see when exactly the special event happens - on 31st or over a period of a week. We might decide to skip that event and just go during the week to avoid the crowds.

And i do plan to include the Boeing tour too since we will be there on Thursday or Friday and through the weekend. Is it easy enuf to get same-day tix or better to book in advance and just pay the $10 to be safe?

Thanks a lot.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 08:55 AM

Not sure how easy it is to get same day tickets. You can probably do it IF you get there EARLY. I know the tour is extremely popular - and you are there at a busy time of year. Note that purses, cameras etc are NOT allowed on the tour.

Ken
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

thanks again Ken. I think i'll bite the bullet and buy the Boeing tour tix in advance. I definitely don't want to miss it.