COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

More things to do in Key West ?

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:32 AM
Jim

More things to do in Key West ?

My wife and I went to Key West last September and had a great time. We visited the Truman White House, The Hemmingway house, took an evening sail and ate a lot of good food.
We are considering going back this April to see what all we missed.
We don't dive / snorkel. Would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks !!

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 11:18 AM
x

Mel Fisher Museum
Light House Museum
Glass Bottom Boat Ride
Party Boat Fishing
Trip up to Bahia Honda State Park
Kayak Trip through the Mangroves
One of the many walking tours
Conch Tour Train
Parasail
Airplane Tour of the islands
Auduban House tour
Relax at Fort Zachary Taylor
Ghost Tours
Aquarium
Visit The Shipwreck Historeum
Mallory Square at Sunset
Jet-ski
The Scavenger Hunt

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 11:44 AM
Lou

Pick up a copy of this month's Islands magazine. The cover story is all about all the cool things to do on the road down to Key West. They also list losts of things to do once you get there.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 03:50 PM
keysmom

I encourage a trip to Big Pine Key (MM29.5) for snorkelling or diving. Looe Key Reef is the best spot in the Keys. Try Innerspace Dive Shop for a great trip. Pick up a book by Tom Corcoran for the plnae - he's a local Key West mystery writer. Not great literature but lots of local color. And don't worry, the crime rate in his books is much higher than the real Key West.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 03:22 AM
Sam

"x" pretty much sums it up. Great list by the way. There is also talk about a Butterfly Conservatory opening up down in Key West that sounds like fun.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 07:14 AM
Becky

Wonderful list x! Its all pretty self explanatory but if you want more information there are several Key Wesr websites you could look at. The most popular being Keywest.com

The Butterfly thing sounds like a nice addition.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 08:09 AM
Marie

On the AOL travel board they are making a pretty big deal of the new butterfly conservatory - sounds like it is worth a visit.

I second the recommendation for the Mel Fisher Treasure museum. Pretty interesting for me. I also enjoyed the walking tour of the cemetary (warning, though, put on LOTS of sunscreen before going to the cemetary - no shade available there.) I wanted to do the ghost tour, but we never got around to it.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 08:22 AM
tommy

I haven't done it yet, but I have seen mention of a day trip to the Dry Tortugas National Park on this site.
http://www.nps.gov/drto/

Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 07:20 AM

Tanks to x for a GREAT list. We will definitely add some of these suggestions to our trip. We will probable stay at the Marquesa again unless someone has experience with another property as good. Would welcome any info on this. Also would like to explore some of the other Keys.
Thanks !!
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 08:01 AM

The butterfly conservatory is open and right on the Bone Island Shuttle route (great multi-day tickets available for this AIR CONDITIONED shuttle around the island.) I didn't get into the butterfly conservatory, but heard it was nice.

"X" came up with a great list of things to do. Even though you don't snorkel or dive, you can always take a day or night boat tour. Also, the Hyatt next door to Pier House has a nice massage you can indulge in. My niece and I got them and were soooo relaxed afterwards, it was great! You don't have to stay at the Hyatt to use this service ($45 for 1/2 hour or $80 for an hour, plus tip.)

Walking by the seaport area is nice day or night (nice and cool in the evening.) And the piano bar at LaTeDa is great! Even if you aren't gay, this is a nice place to go for mellow music. It's a classy place and Alice's restaurant is fantastic!

We also enjoyed just walking down the streets and checking out some of the different B&B's for future visits.

We spent a week in Key West and only made it to a couple of the museums and touristy stuff. However, we shopped quite a bit.

HAVE FUN!
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 05:44 AM

If you are flying into Key West, renting a car and taking a day to drive up the keys can be enjoyable. We rented a convertible when we did this trip and really enjoyed it.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 12:27 AM

Another recommendation for the trip to Dry Tortugas, either by boat or by seaplane. We also did 2 ghost tours - if Jason is still there then try to get on one of his.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 02:26 AM

Before my visit last February I went on the internet and found all kinds of things to do: plays at the Waterfront Playhouse and The Red Barn Theater, concerts at St.Paul's Church, a house tour, a lecture on houses of Key West at the Library and of course the Old Island Days Art Festival. With a little research you can find all sorts of "different" things to do.