Moral of the story -- Lost luggage

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today I received what I presume is my final settlement for a bag lost by US Air on December 17, 2005 (10 wks). On a $2120 claim they sent me $1633. ("Insurance depreciation.")

No one ever thinks that an airline is going to actually LOSE their stuff. But, believe me, it happens.

Here are my suggestions for your future trips:

1) Barge right in, and LOOK at the tracking thing that has been attached to your suitcase. Is it going to the right place? Does it have your name on it? Especially important for checking in at kiosks - and the employee comes out with a fistfull of tickets to attach to several different people's luggage.

2) Make sure you could re-create a complete list of what is in your bag.

3) Be aware of what things they will not cover on a claim. For starters: money, documents, jewelry, furs, antiques, medications (!), glasses, electronic equipment, musical instruments, anything they deem fragile.

4) You will be asked to provide receipts for any items over $100.

4) If you can't replace it -- don't check it. Period. Look at your stuff as you pack and ask yourself, how would I feel if I never saw this again?

5) If your bag is missing for 4 days file a claim at once. Make sure your estimates of costs of things are GENEROUS as you will not be able to replace your stuff for what they pay you.

3) Don't bother trying to call them or otherwise talk to them about your missing luggage. Most likely you will be talking to someone in India and theyknow nothing. If you contact someone here (good luck with that) they are completely helpless.

4) Baggage tags or labels inside your suitcase might not matter at all. I know for sure this bag had a good tag on it. One baggage guy actually told me that luggage could sit there "for weeks" before anybody might open it up (if ever). More likely, no one will ever open it, they'll just sell it.

Let's see, what am I forgetting? Oh...

5) Don't get mad if you see me on a plane with the MAX amount of carry-on luggage trying to cram it all in an overhead compartment near you.

I hope this will help someone if this happens to them.

Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 10:39 AM

at least it wasn't a leg.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 10:59 AM

I saw a report last week....9,700 lost/damaged luggage complaints PER DAY!Thats just in the USA.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 11:05 AM
KT

I saw that story, too. It's for all US carriers, and includes both domestic and international flights. And it includes delayed luggage, not just lost or damaged.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 12:11 PM

Sorry for your lost luggage, not fun! But here's my question, you need a receipt for anything over $100? I mean, who saves receipts for every piece of clothing they own? If you know you don't have the receipt for something that cost over $100 do you just claim $99 and hope for the best? Just curious, hopefully not for future reference but you never know!
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

I see when I posted this it screwed up my numbered list. Oh well.

ronkala: See the parts about items not covered, and items you'd feel bad if you never saw again.

wyatt: Since I had a heck of a time getting this claim settled, I have no idea what you'd do in that case. I'd list the thing high and just write down that I didn't have the receipt.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 01:52 PM

I never have but I read somewhere that taking a photo of each item in your luggage can help if you do have a "lost luggage" claim. Couldn't hurt, especially if one has designer clothes. But than again, how can you prove that those items were in your luggage. But also, even with receipts, how can you prove those items were in your luggage. wliwl, I am glad you finally received the check..yes, all of us should never put anything in checked in luggage that would be terribly upsetting if it was never seen again.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 02:07 PM

Sorry, but I would still, and always do have a luggage tag inside every piece that I check.

Did you?
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 02:20 PM
mrt

On Jan 12th Southwest lost my bag. I am still waiting to see a check. My claim was for $3,600.00. I was advised that I would get $2,600. The reduction was due, in part, because I did not save my receipts #%$@@#!
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

mrt: They sound organized! They actually gave you an estimate! Wow. I'm impressed.

Intrepid: No, I don't think this bag had an inside tag. It was actually my son's. He's a dumb (but getting smarter) college kid.