ALITALIA LUGGAGE HELL

Search

ALITALIA LUGGAGE HELL

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ALITALIA LUGGAGE HELL

SIX DAYS AGO I RETURNED FROM ROME ON ALITALIA BUT MY LUGGAGE DID NOT. ALITALIA DO NOT ANSWER THEIR PHONES AND DO NOT RESPOND TO EITHER ME OR AMERICAN EXPRESS. I WENT DOWN TO THE MANHATTAN OFFICE AND WAS TOLD THAT MY LUGGAGE WAS ON A FLIGHT 6/13/07. THEY LIED!!! NOBODY SHOULD FLY ON ALITALIA, THEY CARE NOTHING ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS. CUSTOMER SERVICE IS A JOKE.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 08:13 AM

If you came into MY luggage recovery office and acted as you have on this post it would be more than your luggage on its way to another planet.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 08:21 AM

Please don't tell me that....I'm flying with them on Monday!!! Guess I'll try to fit as much as possible on my carry-on! BTW, can you bring a purse and hand luggage on the plane?

Good luck dealing with Alitalia, and hopefully your luggage will arrive soon! Did you have a good trip?
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 08:25 AM

I cannot imagine what I would do if I lost all my luggage returning from a fabulous trip.
I would be as frustrated as UKLady.

If Customer Service is so lacking in sympathy, perhaps they should look for another line of work.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

thank you Tobis309. Yes it was a great trip, I am sooooo frustrated, nonone has any answers for me.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 08:59 AM

Here's an answer for you uklady504. Probably not the one you want but its a start:

For your next trip, keep in mind that for 2 weeks you only need 2 pair of shoes, 5 undies, 2 pants, 2 dress, 4 shirts and dress one coat (and an appartment with a washer, a nearby laundromat and/or a hotel offering laundry service).

Since you will not be flying naked on the plane, you will wear 1 pair of shoe, 1 undie, 1 pant, 1 shirt and your dress coat. The rest will fit in a carry-on suitcase. And you will never have to go through luggage claims again.

Trust me on this one.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 09:13 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Airlines do not handle their own luggage. Airport service companies do.

I would certainly use that as an excuse to derail uklady's rant.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 09:15 AM

Please, LOWER YOUR VOLUME!!!!!

Lost luggage happens every day. I bet it has happened at least once to people that post on this board. You should consider yourself lucky that it happened on the way back from your trip. Or did you travel to Italy with all the clothing you own and are now running around naked????
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 09:23 AM

Man this board can be snippy these days - I really do not think it is too much to expect that if my luggage was lost, someone from that airline would be available! and responsive to helping me find it. But I'm just coming off a tangle with a Marriott hotel over a mistaken reservation billing - I think customer service is just terrible these days. And then you see all the advertising and listen to recorded messages (while you are on hold) about being rated number 1 in customer satisfaction. Anyway - I hope your luggage appears soon!
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 09:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, but is it possible to believe for a moment that:

ALITALIA DO NOT ANSWER THEIR PHONES

???
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 09:37 AM

I hope she's not trying to call to Italy at US business hours
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 10:26 AM

I've flown Alitalia at least four times in the past year and a half between Geneva and Boston, changing either in Rome or Milan and they've never lost my luggage. American Airlines, however, lose it every single time I fly them. And my brother works for them..... So ya never know.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Kerouac, I apologize for the capital letters, didn't realize that it signified shouting, I am new at this. Actually, Alitalia does not answer the number for customer assistance for lost luggage. I have been leaving messages since last Sunday. All I wanted was an answer and a human being to talk to.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 11:13 AM

In 2000 when i was returning from atrip overseas, my luggage went missing at EWR. I'm one of those pitiful souls who never got their luggage back. I spent all summer calling Continental asking if there was a weary detective in an old raincoat (think Columbo) travelling the world with a description of my suitcase? Nothing else made sense in the advent of faxes and computers! Send out a descrition of my suitcase to lost luggage managers at every airport that had planes leaving from Newark that evening. After 8 weeks I finally received a check. I check luggage reluctantly, when I have to, but it makes me a wreck. Just call Aitalias 1-800 number and get a new number that will work, and call everyday, so they either work on it or pay you.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

unfortunately Alitalia only give you one number the one that doesn't get answered. I am sorry that you never got your luggage back, I hope that doesn't happen to me, I had a gift from the Vatican for my future daughter-in-law and I am extremely upset about not having it.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 02:44 PM

You have my sympathy. They lost my daughter's luggage, including a journal she had been keeping of her trip, which was the most upsetting item to her, then they "lost her in their computer" even though she has the claimsforms--AND SHE'S FLUENT IN ITALIAN (and didn't even want to check in any luggage but it was right after the Heathrow scare and they made her check it all in)...BUT there is a positive side to this...we're covered on our Homeowners Policy...they are going to reimburse us and then they're going to "fight it out" with Alitalia (lots of luch)

So, check with your insurance co., but oh boy, she sure won't fly them again either. Good luck--I hope your insurance co. comes through for you.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 03:10 PM

Sorry to hear that, uklady. I hope you get it soon. And... may it be the worst thing that ever happens to you... and your future daughter-in-law
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 03:20 PM

Try calling (800) 223-5730 and press * (star key).
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 06:02 PM
hat

The one valuable leason I learned from a lost luggage incident years ago with AirCanada was to have some identifying information on the inside of my bag. I was informed that the central recovery site had many unidentifiable bags (lost tags?) resembling mine and they were willing to open them up if I could prove which was mine. I described my clothes and, weeks later, did receive my bag back without any of my luggage tags. I don't know if they would still be willing to open bags these days(safety issues, confidentiality, etc), but I still put a nametag on the inside just in case.

Anyway, keep trying-many people do eventually recover their bags.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

My luggage finally turned up at in the middle of the night. I cannot tell you how happy I was to see my wrinkled clothes and particularly the item from the Vatican. Thanks to everyone for all the input.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -