Notices

Monterey Bay Inn or Highlands Inn?

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 05:11 PM
don

Monterey Bay Inn or Highlands Inn?

I have found both of these hotels available for a stay next April. The Monterey Bay Inn is $10 lower than the Highland Inn for their harborview room and $20 more for their bayview room. Does anybody know what the difference is between a harborview and a bayview room and which is preferrable? Or would the Highlands Inn be a better choice?

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 07:07 PM
Mags

Definitely the Highlands Inn. Monterey Inn is nice, but can't compare to the stunning views, great service and terrific rooms. Beautiful neighborhoods in the area to walk (beware of the traffic crossing the main road, as it's winding). My husband & I would head back to Highlands Inn in a flash. Be sure to head into Carmel and dine at Casanovas. Enjoy!

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 03:31 AM
Andy

Don- Without a doubt,THE HIGHLAND INN!!!!

They have fireplaces in the rooms and they replenish the wood daily-very romantic and ideal location--
Closer to Carmel, which I love-much better than the Monterey area....

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 02:38 PM
lucille

I have not stayed at the Highlands Inn, but I did find the Monterey Bay Inn very nice, and very convenient to the attractions in Monterey and several very good restaurants. I have heard that the restaurant at the Highland Inn is excellent but very expensive, whereas you would probably have a much better selection around the Monterey Bay Inn. But I am sure you will get a much more spectacularscenic view from the Highland Inn.

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 09:08 AM
don

My first choice was the Highlands Inn, but then I started to wonder, considering that I would be there over a weekend, if I wouldn't find more going on staying in town. Also I didn't know how drivining into town would be at that time of the year. Either Carmel, Paciific Grove or Monterey would be fine alternates. Should I just stay at the Highlands Inn? Or consider these other places as options?

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 09:51 AM
Andy

If cost is not a factor, then do the LA PLAYA in CARMEL-- it is on the OCEAN--great views and you are right in Carmel--

I loved Carmel more than Monterey as I love all the art Galleries and good restaurants--

If I was going to do Monterey- I would do one of the BnB by the 4 Sisters and have a room facing the ocean

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 05:30 PM
don

Andy, I checked out La Playa on their website and the place looked really great. Prices were even in the same range as the two I mentioned. But it is a non-smoking hotel and I will be traveling with a smoker.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 08:35 AM
John

Don- I cannot coment on the Monterey Bay Inn as I have not stayed there, but would NOT recommend the Highlands Inn. The grounds were beautiful, the restaurant was excellent. However, that being said, the rooms were a big disappointment. We had a prime ocean view room but the ocean is across a highway and not worth the extra price. That aside, the rooms themselves are in serious need of renovation. I suppose they consider them "rustic", but I don't consider 70's and 80's style furnishings "rustic". The fireplace was a nice touch, but a complete overhaul of the rooms is in serious need. If the rooms are not that important, as they are for me, then the grounds and restaurant are beautiful.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 05:46 PM
jeri

Didn't I read somewhere that they had just finished renovations there this past spring?