Reload this Page >

Carmel Hotels? Please help ASAP!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2004, 07:04 AM
Deblynn

We had decided on the Svendsgaards hotel in Carmel and then when I called, they were booked. Please help fast, before everythings gone for the last week in July. We would like to stay right in the middle of the village. Any advice would be great! Thanks, Deb

Old Jun 30th, 2004, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you tried the Normandy Inn? Haven't stayed there, but pass by it frequently. Located right in the village, short walk to beach. Good Luck, you will love Carmel. ***kim***
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 09:23 AM

Here's some other places very near Svendsgaard's, right in the heart of things: Vagabond House (my personal favorite,) Hofsas House, Candlelight Inn, Carmel Sands, Carmel Fireplace Inn, Sundial Lodge, Dolphin Inn. Check tripadvisor.com for rankings, reviews and some more ideas. I have also heard very good things about the Cobblestone Inn and Lobos Lodge, athough I can't place them exactly so don't know if they are in this same area.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Deblynn

Thanks, john charles and kim for your recommendations. I have called many of them; the Normandy, Candlelight inn, Dolphin Inn, Fireplace inn, Cobblestone Inn, Vagabond House, ALL WERE BOOKED! The Chateau de Carmel had a few rooms, any comment? Also, the Wayside has a couple of rooms, but accepts pets. I'm not sure about that one!

Old Jun 30th, 2004, 09:47 AM

Not in Carmel but we just booked a room at the Grandview Inn in Pacific Grove beginning July 31. Both the Grandview and Seven Gables look very nice and not far from Carmel. They are right on Monterey Bay. www.pginns.com
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 12:05 PM

Did you check TripAdvisor? Chateau de Carmel seems to have some mixed reviews. We like the Green Lantern Inn for it's location and unique cottage layout. It looks like they have three rooms available for the last week of July.
greenlanterninn.com
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 01:42 PM

try the Lamplighter...very small and quaint. 831-624-7372
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 04:03 PM

I forgot about the Lamplighter. A very well located property, about as fairytale quaint as you can get, little old Hansel and Gretel type cottages. I always wanted to stay there sometime. I'd try it if you think you might want to give up some modern amenities for a distinctively Carmel experience.

Deblynn, did you call Hofsas House? It is right next door to Svendsgaard's, sharing its pretty, wooded, and excellently convenient location, and I have always thought it was a very attractive property. I was quite happy with it the times I stayed there, although the last was some years ago now. While it gets very mixed reviews on TripAdvisor, it's clear that a number of recent reviewers have still strongly liked it, and I'd take a chance on it. It is relatively large by Carmel standards, and the QuickCheck I did on TripAdivisor seemed to indicate that they have availability for that week. (Have you tried the QuickCheck feature on TripAdvisor? A great way to cheaply and quickly check rates and availability for the dates you specify at a property over a number of different Web sites, but only available for some of the properties reviewed there.)

You also might try the Sundial, despite the fact that there is only one review on TripAdvisor. I have not stayed there, but it's another that's long been on my wish list. It might be available because some people shy away from it because it is very old and only has street parking. But the car-free interior courtyard is perhaps the most charming of its type I've ever seen, and I love to visit it whenever I'm in Carmel. The inn is also superbly located.

The Carmel Sands is also very close to Svensgaard's and has looked quite attractive to me. The Carmel Oaks is also well located and is supposed to be good, as is the Horizon Inn, another relatively large property. I guess you've tried the Cobblestone, but I checked on the location of Lobos Lodge and it is excellent. It and the Tradewinds Inn, also well located, recently redcorated in an Asian theme, as I remember are the central Carmel places top rated by TripAdvisor reviewers.

For larger hotels (by Carmel standards) still excellently located for walking, there's the Pine Inn (right in the center of town, don't know if they have any parking)and La Playa (down nearer the ocean, but still walkable to the heart of things), but I know they are both very popular and there's a good chance they're booked.

Don't give up if you want to stay in central Carmel--it is special there, and there are LOTS of places to do so! Just going over these properties in my mind for you has made me feel ready to pack......
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 05:40 PM

Sundial Lodge is a great old place, but at the moment it's under construction. The owners of Bouchee restaurant in Carmel have taken it over and are turning it into a charming, yet elegant inn and restaurant called Auberge Carmel. They plan to open the last week of July and rates will start in the mid $200's, so it's probably not what you want for this trip, but you might want to check it out for future stays. They are keeping the character and charm, just making it nicer.

The restaurant should be top-notch, too as it's going to be overseen by the current chef of Bouchee, one of the best in town. It's one of the first things I'm going to check out on my next visit.

The Colonial Terrace Inn is nice, just off Scenic Drive almost on the beach. Some of their rooms have ocean views. Not downtown, but I like it better, not so busy, in a beautiful neighborhood. You feel like a resident. And...walk to the beach anytime. I'd check it out. San Antonio & 13th.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 05:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Try the Cypress Inn and don't be put off by the fact that they accept dogs. The hotel was once owned by Doris Day and is now owned by her son. The rooms are spotless, no doggy smell, etc., and every dog we've seen there (on numerous visits) is very well behaved. Great location.