Search

MOAB river trip

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MOAB river trip

One of the tour companies in Moab has an evening trip on the Colorado. Dinner is an option. Is the trip worth taking? I am a little annoyed that taking photos is not allowed
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 04:49 PM

aligalli,

Canyonlands at night is pretty cheesy. You go on the small boat and a crew with an old fashioned search light and a generator drives along the river road and lights up the canyon walls for you as the boat progresses. Can't say how the dinner is.

I always thought it sounded great, until I saw them pass by our camp site along the river and got a free preview. I decided to skip it.

I think you can enjoy the canyon views better during the day, especially at sunrise and sunset.

Of course, others may have a different opinion!
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 08:29 PM

Totally with Dayle on this one. I can just imagine the gross food as well. Heck, when I go to Moab I am so danged exhausted from hiking all day, I just want a good dinner and bed. (Desert Bistro and Center Street Grill/Cafe? are tops)
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 08:36 PM

You can drive the same view. It's best to find the boat's exact route before you book something. Take a cruise into Canyonlands Nat'l Park, an area where you can't drive. We liked the one through Tag a Long.
Old May 1st, 2008, 03:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies. I will check out tag a long
Old Jun 15th, 2008, 01:29 PM

elnap - would you tell me more about your trip with Tag a Long? Taking my mother on a parks trips and thought about doing the jetboat tour (and possibly combining with 4x4) in Canyonlands with these folks. We need something that doesn't require a lot of physical activity for her. Would appreciate anything you can tell me about it. Thanks!
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 04:26 PM

luvtravl,

I don't know if elnap will see this old post, so I'll answer to the best of my knowledge.

I don't know your Mom's age or physical limitations. Both parts of this tour may sound like just a ride along, but they won't be all that easy. The jet boat isn't called a jet boat for nothing! It's really fast = lots of wind, cooler temps on the water, a bit bumpy. The 4x4 trip will be bumpy too. Both might be very long between restroom stops and perhaps a bit stressful for someone who isn't an outdoors person.

Just my thoughts. What are your Mom's physical concerns?
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 06:33 PM

Thanks Dayle. My mother is 69 but has had both knees replaced within the past couple years. One knee is still a little wobbly so while she can do some walking I want to avoid long distances, jumping, climbing, etc. We've got a couple nights in Moab so we will drive through Arches one day and I thought the jet boat tour of
Canyonlands might be fun. I think instead we'lll play itself and we may visit Dead Horse Point or some other nearby scenic spots.
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 06:36 PM

OOPS - typos. Should say "we'll play it safe".
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 08:11 PM

I think your mom would enjoy the boat/ 4x4 trip with Tag-a-Long. The boat trip was smooth and outstanding. The Company splits the group in half, and half starts with the 4x4 and half starts with the boat. We were in the boat first group. There was one stop along the way for a brief hike to see some petroglyphs, fossilized palm trees, petrified wood, etc, but if your mom didn't feel up to it, she could stay in the boat. Then we stopped and had a picnic with the group that had taken the 4x4. After lunch, we traded places, and took the 4x4 out of the canyon. I am certain your mother would not have any problem with this trip and I recommend it highly.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 05:42 AM

OK, my Mom has had 1 knee replaced and I last visited Arches with my folks just last year. They were 78. She should be fine on the tour. My folks prefer walking out to all the easily walkable arches, and there are plenty of them that are just a short, easy walk.

Have fun!
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 07:05 AM

We did the tag-a-long 4x4 and jet boat combo last year and I would not hesitate to recommend it for your mother based on her physical lmitations. The main thing with the vehicle is bumping and you hold on not to get jostled about and the boat ride was pretty smooth, as I recall, although chilly so take extra layers. I was a little disappointed with the 4x4 because it was in an enclosed vehicle and not everyone got a window seat. Of course, the enclosed part kept the dust out and sometimes you didn't want to be looking out the window down the side of a steep drop.