Mills House or Embassy Suites-Charleston

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2003, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which is better? We can get the ES for 106.00 which includes breakfast or the Mills house for 78.95 which does not include breakfast.
Which is cleaner, nicer, better location?

Others I would like are the French Quarter Inn or the Harbourview Inn but both are 149.00 a night. The both include breakfast also. We will have 2 kids with us and thought the pools might be nice to have, but are these hotels worth giving up the pool?
I am not sure I want to spend the extra, but if the others are not nice, I will
Old May 16th, 2003, 07:47 PM

Not really worth giving up the pool. If you didn't have kids the Mills house woudl give you that (southern charm) type feel but as for location and amenities (especially traveling with kids) I would stay at ES. Welcome Ya'll!
Old May 17th, 2003, 08:14 AM
GoTravel

Mills House is in a much better location and they have a neat pool. Yes, the Embassy may be better room wise for kids but the location may negate that. How old are your kids?

Old May 19th, 2003, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

My kids are 4 and 11. I am pretty picky about hotels being clean. I do not really care if we have the separate area of the Embassy. I want the nicest hotel in the best location that would kids would be accepted.
I think I would like a more quaint inn, but I cannot seem to find one with a pool. With the kids, will a pool be a necessity? This is in July. I do not mind paying a little more for nice, but not if it is not necessary.
Old May 20th, 2003, 07:20 AM
GoTravel

lomillerin, I would opt for the Mills House. Keep in mind that Charleston is stiflingly hot and humid in July with few breezes and the pool water will be like bathwater. Swimming would only be enjoyable at night or in the early morning.

Old May 20th, 2003, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I can get the Mills House for $78 a night and the Charleston Place for 169.00. Is the Charleston Place that much better?

Also, neither place includes breakfast. Is this important? Are there any neat places to eat breakfast/brunch?
Old May 21st, 2003, 09:55 AM
GoTravel

If you can get into The Charleston Place and spending the extra money doesn't bother you, do it. TCP is head and shoulders above the Mills House and is the nicest hotel in Charleston. I think it still ranks in the top 100 in the US.

Old May 21st, 2003, 12:09 PM
OliveOyl

Yes...I'd go for Charleston Place too. We've stayed there and it is lovely, as is the location. At that time it was part of Orient Express chain, an upscale chain, and I beleive still is.

Have never seen Mills House rooms, but have seen their public spaces and it must be the most elaborate Holiday Inn in continental US. I was really surprised. It started life as a Hyatt many moons ago. I's nice too, but Charleston Place is top dog in the city for hotels, no doubt about it.

Old May 21st, 2003, 12:57 PM
KandKmom

I want to jump into this post as I found it while doing a search for The Mills House, too. lomillerin I hope you don't mind! I am debating on which hotel to chose as well- we looked into the FQI but it was too pricey (we are going in June) I currently have ressies at both The Mills House and the Shem Creek Inn. Both are the same rate and have pools, (we also have 2 kids -8 and 12). My question is also about the inclusion of breakfast as well as parking fees. Shem Creek offers breakfast, has free parking, and the Mills House doesn't. Does the Mills House's location and reputation outweigh the extra costs? If anyone can help me, too, I would appreciate it!

Old May 22nd, 2003, 09:09 AM
GoTravel

Yes, the location of the Mills House very much outweighs free breakfast and free parking at The Shem Creek Inn. While I've stayed at The Shem Creek in and do like it, I have enjoyed my stays at the Mills House much more.