Bucaneer, St. Croix

Old Sep 16th, 2004, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bucaneer, St. Croix

Has anyone been to the Bucaneer lately? We have two small children, 1 and 3 and are looking for something unlike Beaches (too large).
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 09:35 AM

First, a suggestion. Your post is not coming up under St. Croix when people search on it so you may want to re-post and make sure you click on USVI.

I am happy to highly recommend the Buccaneer as I have many times on this board (you may want to search on Caribbean/USVI/Buccaneer to read other Fodorites' opinions. Our first trip to the Buccaneer was when our kids were 1 1/2 and 4 and we'll be returning for our 6th trip this February (kids will be 8 1/2 and almost 11).

The Buc is an intimate (though spacious in size), upscale, quiet, family-run resort. There are a variety of accommodations there but we prefer a Family Cottage to give us and the kids separate rooms. The beach is fine for young children (not too rough) and the pool is frequently empty. There is no kiddie pool but there are steps down into the adult pool that little kids seem to enjoy. The breakfast buffet is yummy and having a restaurant at the beach is very helpful (no need to change the kids out of swimsuits for lunch). We have not used the babysitting service but know those who have have been pleased (although it's quite expensive).

You won't be disappointed unless you are looking for the Ritz or Four Seasons. It's a 4 star in my mind, not a 5. But for our family, that's just right.
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 06:22 PM

Although we thought the Buccaneer had a lot of good points, we felt the childcare center was not well run(NOT private babysitting, we didn't try that). I am not sure if the children's program has changed and this is only our opinion. We were there two years ago. Threehearts
Old Sep 19th, 2004, 04:16 AM

The Kids Camp program is no longer headed by Jose and seems to still be in transition (at least that's how we felt in Feb. '04). But your children are too young for the program, anyway, so it would be private babysitting that you would need.
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 09:26 AM

We were there a couple of years ago before we had kids & we loved it. The resort was very well maintianed and the staff was very friendly. Our kids are now 2 and 1 and we considered the Bucaneer for a vacation this year but the one issue we had was how hilly the resort is. We stayed at the top of the hill in the main lodge it it was pretty tiring going up and down all day. So we thought trying to carry or push 2 kids in a stroller would just be too much. I think we'll try it in a couple of years when they're a little older. This would probably be less of a problem if you stay in one of the waterfront rooms, you'd only need to come up for breakfast and possibly dinner. Just something to consider. Other than that we loved it and would definitley recommend it. Town was close by and there were definitely lots of kids friendly outdoor type restaurants. The pool was small but definitely kid friendly, there were steps into which my kids usually love to play on and the beach was nice, although probably not as nice as some other islands.
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your help, this is my first time so I was unsure. I will re-post as you suggested.

I am glad you think so highy of the Bucaneer, it sounds just about right for us. Have you been anyplace else that you would suggest with small children?
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 02:35 PM

None of the other beach places we have been with young children is in the Caribbean. We have been to the Marriott at Marco Island (nice resort but we didn't like Marco much), Disney's Vero Beach Resort (nice with young kids and not over the top themed but I would guess they were badly damaged by Frances) and Atlantis (for a business convention, didn't like it at all for young kids).

Our brother and sister in law go to the St. John Westin with their young kids each Christmas (they have Westin points). They like it a lot. We've been to St. John without kids and think the Westin is not as nice a beach setting as The Buccaneer although St. John is nicer than St. Croix as an island. But with young kids, I wouldn't want to have to drive each day to find a beautiful beach. But we hear their pool is lovely.

So that's why we keep going back to The Buccaneer!
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 03:55 PM

There is only ONE PAGE here and ALL posts go to the ONE PAGE. You can only post to ONE PAGE.

When you want to search a particular island or resort that is when the posts will come up as a reference to a singular destination or island.

Hope this clears things up a bit.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 04:53 PM

CPB--we booked the Buccaneer for our vacation with our 5-year old based on feedback from this site; I have done extensive research on good places to take toddlers and it is tricky in the Caribbean because many places are geared toward older children; the place we found most successful with our then 3-year old was FDR in Jamaica, not fancy, but they have separate bedrooms for parents and kids (we have booked the Family Cottage at the Buccaneer), the food is good and it is really geared to little kids. Don't know when you are thinking of going to the Buccaneer, but I booked last month and was unable to get my first choice in March.

Mary