Buccaneer - Cottages and Kids Club?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2003, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone stayed at the Buccaneer in STX lately with young kids? Heard that the Kids' Club had gone downhill with the loss of Jose who used to run it. We're planning a trip in the fall and would love an update - also any info on the best accomodations - cottage or beachfront?
Old May 22nd, 2003, 01:47 PM

I have offered to answer this question many times before since we LOVE the Buccaneer. While it's a disappointment that Jose is gone, I am sure they will find someone great to replace him. I wonder, though, if there will be a Kids Camp, per se, during the fall when few kids are there. Worth checking.

We have been to the Buccaneer four times and will return next year for #5. Are kids first went there when they were 1 1/2 and 4 and will be 7 and 9 1/2 on the next trip. We always stay in a Family Cottage because we like having two separate rooms. There are more upscale rooms on the property if you are willing to all be in one space. We like Family Cottage Rooms 168 and 170 for the views and the privacy.

Don't change your plans. The Buccaneer is a very special place!
Old May 23rd, 2003, 04:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply! That is very helpful. I think we're also leaning toward the cottages to have the extra room. How far is the walk to the beach and pool? Is there enough for the kids to do? How are the pool areas - my kids would often prefer the pool to the beach. If you know of any websites with good pictures other than the Buccaneer website, let me know. Thanks!
Old May 23rd, 2003, 08:24 AM

We traveled to the Buccaneer with our 2 small children twice and had a very negative experience whereas we've used other kid's clubs at every family resort we've been to over the past 4 years and had mostly wonderful experiences(most recently at the Hyatt Maui-wonderful!). Was Jose fired? Please email if you would like to hear more about our time at the Buccaneer. I'm not sure it's responsible for me to post on this public forum since I have such strong feelings about this resort and especially the kid's club. Let me know via this site and I will give you my address. Threehearts
- By the way- Both times we stayed in the oceanfront rooms and had 2 connecting rooms. This was very pretty but we were afraid the kids would open the door, walk out on the balcony and go over the sea wall so we kept their door locked which was fine.
Old May 27th, 2003, 04:07 AM
Original Poster

Threehearts - yes, I would like to hear more about your experience at the Buccaneer - I really have not heard any negative comments except for the Kids' Club, so I would be very interested to hear about your trip. Please let me know how to contact you if you don't want to post your comments on the forum.
Old May 27th, 2003, 11:57 AM

Marie-
What is your email address? I'd be happy to tell you of our experiences. The facility itself had many plusses, it is primarily the kid's club that had myself and several other vacationing families concerned. Threehearts
Old May 28th, 2003, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Threehearts - I use my work e-mail and can't post the address - sorry. If the kids' club was your only complaint, I would probably still go. Our kids are 2 and 4, so only the older one would be able to participate anyway - they will be with us most of the time. Other than the kids' club, were you happy with the accomodations and the resort overall? Did you see the family cottages? Is there a lot of walking? I would appreciate any help!
Old May 28th, 2003, 12:49 PM

Marie,
I thought the resort was pretty and the beach to the right of the oceanfront doubloons that we had was wide enough during slow season. The family cottages were midway up a fairly steep hill which was good because the walk to the beach or restaurant is only half of what seemed tiresome to us after a few days. The cottages reminded me of what we see on Cape Cod in groupings. They didn't appear overly charming and you do need to be higher up on the hill to get a view but we would've traded our doubloon in a heartbeat for the convenience of a cottage. Just so you know- The cottages line the road to and from the restaurant and the beach so balcony privacy is limited in my opinion. All in all the vacation wasokay BUT the kid's club was poorly managed and worrisome at best. I loved Anguilla, St. Barts, Maui and St.John with kids. I honeymooned in St. Croix and loved it then and 3 times after but my dream family destination(The Buccaneer) sorely disappointed as we hoped to have some couple time there too.
I believe that I am the only poster who didn't seem to have a wonderful experience there so this is JMHO.
Threehearts