Miami Beach Hotels

May 8th, 2004, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Miami Beach Hotels

I have never been to Miami Beach, and would love to stay in a super nice hotel, but the Delano, is super expensive, as is the Shore Club. Do any of you have any other thoughts on where to stay that's fabulous?

Thanks
May 8th, 2004, 10:24 AM

Cindy...IMHO, the term "fabulous" is very subjective.What i think is "fab" might be disgusting to you.But I suggest you look at the Ritz Carlton South Beach.And depending when you are going,anything fab might be out of your range.The Loews might have some good rates as well.When will yoube there?
May 8th, 2004, 10:58 AM
GoTravel

I think one of the best deals in South Beach is the South Seas. It isn't cheap but it isn't off scale either. It is oceanfront, deco, centrally located (two doors down from the Delano and a block from Lincoln Road Mall), and has a great pool. Off season you should be able to get a room for around $100 a night.

May 8th, 2004, 11:17 AM

The Mandarin Oriental is fabulous - but also fabulously expensive - unless you can find a deal.
May 10th, 2004, 07:40 AM

The class act of Miami Beach would now be the Ritz-Carlton-- and it's priced accordingly. The adage "You get what you pay for" is very true in South Beach-- unless you pay top dollar, you might get a total dump.

The Mandarin Oriental is fab, sure-- but it's not really in Miami Beach per se, but on Brickell Key. Great hotel, but a bit off by itself. Which in itself isn't a bad thing....

The National would be my choice for "fab" South Beach lodging, if mostly for its long history and beautiful public areas. The rooms can be a bit cozy (read: small).

The Loews is a nice big-city business hotel-- and that's my beef with it; close your eyes and you could be in St. Louis. Like many Loews hotels in "resort" areas, they err on the side of anonymous, styleless luxury, and what's the point?
May 10th, 2004, 07:47 AM

I booked the south seas based on advice from fodors and I didn't think it was fab at all. Old, musty, stark room. Iffy service. Just an FYI.
I am not sure what other place I would pick but it wouldnt be the southseas.
May 10th, 2004, 08:44 AM
GoTravel

Monique, sorry you had a bad experience with the South Seas. One of the problems with Miami Beach hotels is the fact that the rooms are renovated only with paint and decorations.

The small 1950s room size and building materials aren't renovated.

May 10th, 2004, 09:44 AM

There are a couple deals that seem decent... others can comment on the 'fab'ness of the hotels...

The Savoy... June and July for $99 a night. Call the hotel directly 1-800-237-2869 and ask for the South Beach promo. Book by May 19.

The Sagamore Hotel... now through July 31, $139 a night... $40 more for weekends.

May 10th, 2004, 11:17 AM

Check into the Hotel Clinton and the Blue Moon.

Depending on when you are staying, there's not much of a chance of getting a "fab" hotel at a discount. The only other options I can think of is checking Priceline, Quickbook and Travelzoo for deals.