Last Minute to South Beach

Oct 9th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Last Minute to South Beach

Hoping to book a quick "first" visit to Miami. Want to experience South Beach and try to get a couple reservations at the well known dining rooms, such as Aura and Wish. Can't decide between small boutique hotel such as National, or large luxury away from it all Mandarin Oriental. Any advice? Thanks in advance.
Oct 10th, 2005, 02:43 AM
Original Poster

Anybody? Chic boutique or large luxury for South Beach experience?
Oct 10th, 2005, 04:54 AM

While I haven't stayed at either, I can tell you that the Mandarin is pretty far from the beach - it's actually on the Mainland near Brickell (on its own island that has no beach, though, only water views), a business, high-rise residential area. It is definitely away from not all, but alot. The National is a beautiful property on South Beach. If you would like South Beach experience, then the National would fit that much better.
Oct 10th, 2005, 06:11 AM
GoTravel

The Mandarin Oriental isn't in South Beach but it is in Miami (Miami and Miami Beach are two different towns Miami being the mainland and Miami Beach the barrier island). Love the hotel!

My suggestion for South Beach luxury hotels:

Delano
Ritz-Carlton
Shore Club
Setai
Hotel Victor
Tides

I know I'm leaving a few out.

As far as dining, yes Wish is heaven and very romantic. Did you mean Azul in the Mandarin Oriental? Yes, eat there.

My favorite is The Forge in Mid Beach.

Oct 10th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Yup, meant Azul. Will try to get a dinner reservation there, as well as Wish at The Hotel.

Made a reservation for the National. Sound good? Newer balconied room overlooking pool area. Heard that the service is very good, too. Anybody (dis)agree?

Oct 11th, 2005, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

Aaargh! Now I can't find a flight for under $500-$600 each! Any suggestions from those who have flown Boston to Miami?
Oct 11th, 2005, 05:17 AM

Try Delta Song into Fort Lauderdale. It's a nice airport, not as big as Miami. We live in Miami and fly out of Fort Lauderdale often.
Oct 11th, 2005, 05:17 AM

Dreamer2...Did you check out Song in and out of Ft Lauderdale?What are your travel dates?
Oct 11th, 2005, 05:52 AM
stevefrat

Have you tried airtran's website? I did a quick search and found flights from Boston to Ft. Lauderdale from $129 to $293.

Oct 11th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks.
Travel is early Nov. I'm aiming for a Thurs to Sun, but Sun rates are killing me. Song and Delta are both ridiculously priced! The lowest I've found are with Jet Blue or UA, but they are still close to $400 and have us either leaving Sun around 7:am - or taking all day to fly w/ a couple connections! Any advice if I try Priceline? (I love them for hotels but have never used it for air.)
Oct 11th, 2005, 01:55 PM

Flights from Miami to Orlando are usually cheap, as are flights into Orlando. Anyway you can combine two fares? It was lots cheaper for my friend to do that for her Christmas flights (but thru Tampa).
Oct 11th, 2005, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Really I'm striking out badly. But I've changed my dates for a Fri to Mon, and I think maybe I'll wait a few days and see if any tickets are released to lower tiers.

In fact, the people we were supposed to travel with bailed out, as they were unable to secure any FF seats to Miami that weekend.
Instead, they are going to the Water Club in Puerto Rico. They'd like us to join them there. Any info on that?

We have had our hearts set on finally getting to Sobe! And I'm trying to get this done as a surprise for my husband's birthday. Already have dinner and spa booked...

Any other tips for air? By the way, I've tried to book a couple of Orbitz best rates (once for this trip and once for another) online, and after I select and try to continue, it just says "not available." Anyone else ever encounter that?
Oct 12th, 2005, 05:55 AM
GoTravel

Dreamer, your dates may be over a big weekend in South Beach. I know which one but can't remember specifically. Maybe Goombay Festival? It isn't Art Basel but it also could be a Design Weekend.

Do the Dolfins have a big game that weekend?

Miami is so worth it! I hope you get to go!