Reload this Page >

Hawaii or Anguilla / St. Barts Honeymoon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 05:39 AM
bob

I am getting married in late May. My fiance and I have narrowed down our search for honeymoon spots to Hawaii or Anguilla (with a possible stop in St. Barts. We would stay at the Cap Jaluca in Anguilla. Not sure about the hotel, or which islands in Hawaii.

Is it worth the extra money, travel distace, etc... to go to Hawaii. If so, why? I've heard about the volcanoes, and a few other benefits, but can anyone that has been to both (especially if you've stayed to the Cap Jaluca) give me some advice on which would be better for a honeymoon.

We are in our late 20's, live in NYC. We are looking to relax, but also plan on being somewhat active (golf, tennis, watersports, horseback riding, etc...) Food quality is important, and we'd like to be able to have some nightlife (possible with ferry ride to St. Marteen?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

~Bob

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 05:42 AM
abc

vote for st. barths. (very, very expensive though). st. martin is right there, and both are condusive to honeymooners. never been to anguilla. as an east coaster, hawaii is hard to get too, and way touristy. enjoy.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 05:47 AM
abc

vote for st barths. (very,very, expensive though. but worth it). st. martin is right there, and both are condusive to honeymooners. never been to anguilla. maybe you can do half st barths half st martin? as an east coaster, hawaii is hard to get too and way touristy. enjoy.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 06:02 AM
Wendy

Bob,

Hawaii is much more spectacular and extraordinary than Anguilla/St Bart's, and offers many more opportunities for outdoor sports, etc. than either of these islands. Also, St. Martin is one of my least favorite places in the world, at least the Dutch Side is! If you can deal with the travel from the East Coast, I would definitely choose Hawaii, also because you can easily get to the islands from New York another time. We break up the trip from New York by flying first to San Francisco for a few days, then on to Hawaii, but I know you can fly nonstop to Hawaii on Continental out of Newark. My only fear here is that you may be too late to book anything decent in Hawaii for May, since it books up very quickly. Good luck and congratulations!

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 06:10 AM
Sarah

I don't know if it is just me and an association with Hawaii I have but yes I do dream of Hawaii.

Have not been to both but I have been along the Mediterranean, Red Sea, Florida Coast ; Northern, Middle and Southern. What is the most striking about Hawaii is the incredibly diverse landscape on such relatively small islands. On Kauai you have the canyon, Napali Coast and lush valleys (thinking of Hanalie Wildlife Refuge). On the big Island you have Mauna Kea for star gazing, Volcano flow, Waipio Valley.

Can’t compare but if you enjoy exploring a variety of landscapes I don’t see looking beyond Hawaii. If you are not a hiker, and really just want to lounge on the beach and eat well than I don’t think either destinations matters. I have always chosen to do that long plane ride and have never seen a single photograph from the destinations you mention that tell me different. Now Costa Rica is another story similar landscape without the western development you enjoy in Hawaii. If you are comfortable with the poverty while you are living it (and this is a personal call not a judgment call) up I could certainly see exploring Costa Rica. Honeymoons are for adventures no?

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 07:26 AM
x

If you can afford Cap Jaluca in Anguilla, go for it. What a impressive honeymoon! I'm jealous!

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 05:35 PM
pier-mauro (peter, florence, italy)

Last year my partner and I were in Anguilla the whole month of January and got to know the island pretty well.
The island is pretty flat and doesn't have the lush tropical vegetation one would expect in a Caribbean island, but the beaches are FANTASTIC -and practically deserted. Cap Jaluca is definitely where I 'd want to spend MY OWN honey moon -apart from the accommodation, its LOCATION is just perfect, a quiet crescent of pure white sand with turquoise blue waters. Anguilla offers 4 or 5 top level restaurants -expensive, but the food is really excellent. My favourites were: Mango's, Blanchard's and Hibernia -I would NOT waste money on Altamer which is very much a restaurant WITH AN ATTITUDE with pretentious dishes NOT WORTH THE PRICE. The only "drawback" about Anguilla is that it is very quiet. No golf, no horseback riding -only biking and snorkeling or scuba diving. Exploring the various beaches and resorts is also quite fun
-don't miss Shoal Bay beach, especially at sunset and a sunset drink or a dinner at Malliouhana hotel. Anguilla offers very little night life -a very pleasant, subdued, kind of sophisticated place "The Dune Preserve" (www.dunepreserve.com), on the beach next to the CuisinArt Hotel, and "The Pump House", at Sandy Bar, a very "real/rustic" place where local steel bands play loud music for a mixed crowd of locals and visitors and you can have a drink or some very basic food. No way that you can go to Saint Martin for the evening/night -ferries run from 7am to 8pm. You can take a day trip to Saint Martin. You can easily drive around the island in a couple of hours -including the stops. The beaches "stink" -even the celebrated Orient Bay was ridiculously overcrowded when we were there last January- but Marigot, the port whith ferries from/to Anguilla has a very "French" atmosphere and is quite pleasant -like a piece of French Riviera gone Caribbean. Try and visit St Martin the day of the week (Tue.?Wed?) when they have the local open air market in Marigot -it is held just off the the pier where Anguilla's ferries dock. The Dutch part of St Martin is a good example of how to destroy any kind of "local" flavour with what is practically a large, tacky "duty-free" shopping mall created for the passengers of cruise liners. F.Y.I.: I don't know anything about Hawaii but, strangely enough, my partner and I found ourselves missing Anguilla and a "tropical vacation" so much this winter that, STRANGELY ENOUGH, we picked just Hawaii for a two week vacation (all 4 major islands) at the end of this month.... If I still see your request for a comparison between HI and Anguilla still posted on this great forum at the end of February I 'll be able to give you my own personal assessment -for the time being I 'd vote for Anguilla... in retrospect: a magic place, especially for a honey moon... go before the crowds discover it and it gets too built up... you can play golf or do horse back riding EVERYWHERE ELSE!...;-))) Best wishes for your wedding, Pier-Mauro, (Peter, Florence, Italy)

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 12:43 AM
Tim

Sorry, Pier, but Anguilla is NO PLACE for a Honeymoon -- much too DISMAL looking of a place!! Bob, if you must stay in the Caribbean, my vote would be for St. Barts (Ise de France, Le Toiny or Carl Gustaf hotels). The Ritz-Carlton on St. Thomas is also much nicer than Cap and would be a good choice, but St. Thoaas is NOT a great island to explore (small beach at Ritz, too). However, bear in mind that a brand new Four Seasons is opening on Great Exuma in the Bahamas within this current 6-month period, so that, too, might be a good possibility, but don't expect the same incredible atmosphere/scenery as in Hawaii, just a beautiful beach/resort! Also, Bermuda would be a great choice as well!

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 04:31 PM
sharona

Hi Bob. I have been to Maui, the Big Island, Anguilla and St. Barths so maybe I can help a little.

For sheer beauty you can't beat Hawaii. And perhaps you will find some of the activities you are looking for a bit more readily available in Hawaii, particularly golf. Golf is not generally a big draw in the Caribbean as many islands don't even have one golf course. And yes, I think the long plane ride to Hawaii from the East Coast is well worth it (I live in the Boston area) although on the return trip you can't avoid an over-night flight unless you stop for a day/night in California.

But I also love the Caribbean, and Anguilla and St. Barths are my 2 favorite islands. Peter gave you a great overview of Anguilla and I agree with everything he said (except, crowds and all, I still like Orient Beach in St. Martin). Anguilla is not beautiful but the beaches are great, the restaurants are wonderful, the locals are friendly and for watersports other than snorkeling or diving head over to St. Martin for the day. It's an easy ferry ride. Unfortunately, as Peter mentioned, ferries do not run late so you can't go over to St. Martin for a night out and expect to get back to Anguilla that same night.

St. Barths most definitely has the most European feel of any Caribbean island we've been to (and we've been to 10 different islands). We stayed at Eden Rock, right on St. Jean beach, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for a honeymoon. Unlike Anguilla, St. Barths is rather lush and hilly and also has great beaches and of course, those wonderful restaurants as well. But again, you're not going to find a lot of motorized-type watersports and I don't believe there is a golf course but you'll definitely have more nightlife options and way better shopping on St. Barths than in Anguilla.

The Hawaii vs. Caribbean debate often rages over on the Caribbean board but I think it's like comparing apples and oranges. All have their good points and because they are so different it's hard to compare them. But Hawaii will definitely be more crowded, particularly the Ka'anapalii (sp?) area and especially in late May when families will be heading there in droves. We encountered LOTS of kids on all 3 of our trips to Hawaii, and those trips all occurred during the school year (and not school vacation weeks) when children should have been in school! I'm not opposed to having kids around. It's just you may not want to have that type of atmosphere on your honeymoon. There will, of course, be some children in the Caribbean as well but unless you head specifically to a resort that caters to families you likely will encounter fewer children. Most of the resorts in Hawaii are huge. Most of the resorts in Anguilla are small and ALL of the resorts in St. Barths are small and intimate.

Feel free to contact me at the above address with specific questions. You truly can't go wrong with any of your choices. It's just trying to figure out exactly what you're looking for.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 06:55 PM
Maggi

Bob, if you opt for Hawaii my suggestion would be that you look for a vacation rental house. We rented three houses in different locales on Kauai and Maui and loved the privacy and the feeling that we lived there, rather than being tourists.
Pics available at:http://community.webshots.com/user/maggiwun
Our favorite was the Hanalei Bay villa #34, see www.kauaivilla.com
Congratulations on your upcoming marriage!

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 07:36 PM
nnn

Tim-
Are you crazy?? "Anguilla is no place for a honeymoon?" I knew the second I researched Cap Juluca and Anguilla that- that was the place for our honeymoon. We did one week at Cap and then rented a villa on St Barths although I could have stayed at Cap Juluca longer! Absolutely amazing! Beautiful beaches,incredible people, amazing food, plenty to do...water sports, boat trips, tennis, massages, cocktails....etc
We could not have planned it any better- St Barths was fun as well -much more lively and completely different then Anguilla which is why we chose to do that the second week- so we could really 'do nothing' in the beginning.
Have fun! It was amazing - I can't wait to go back!

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 09:40 PM
huh?

Tim, what praytell is "dismal" looking about Anguilla?
Has among the top 10 beaches in the world.
Has one of the Caribbean's 5 best resorts.
Great food.
Virtually no crime.

Adds up to honeymoon heaven in my opinion.

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 12:38 AM
Tim

First of all, Sharona, I would NOT recommend the Kaanapali side of Maui for a Honeymoon (or ANY trip for that matter), only the more upsscale Wailea side where The Four Seasons is located. And not only that, but if you want more isolation on Maui, a suite at the beautiful Ritz-Carlton, which IS an isolated property, is a viable option, regardless of some of the controversy on this Board about the property! But no need to limit oneself just to Maui. The Four Seasons on the Big Island is also an isolated property and quite beautiful for a honeymoon as well! Ditto for the Princeville or even Hyatt Regency on Kauai, both ISOLATED properties!

And for "nnn" -- Am I crazy? NO, and I certainly don't think Cap or the island were "amazing" at all! The rooms are overrated (yes, it's large but certainly not that luxurious, and what a BIG pain opening and closing those slats everytime you wanted air-conditioning or not--and just sliding the wooden doors shut did not do the trick as the slats don't close enough to "seal" the room! VERY annoying when you're trying to stay cool!). The food is NOT amazing by any stretch (at Cap--beef really did taste like shoe leather, and don't give me this "they have to import it" nonsense as ALL of the islands have to do this! And the supposedly "fresh" fish was awful as well! The funny thing is -- only the lobster club sandwich was memorable for some odd reason (maybe the lobster really WAS fresh)! Yes, the buildings themselves look very nice in brochures, etc., but in person and up close they simply look like CHEAP paper mache buildings! And the beach really isn't that incredible at all! I think the beaches in Bermuda, Cancun and Grand Cayman are even nicer! The only way it's somewhat "romantic" is in its isolated location (quiet), but you can get that at other places as well.

And to "Huh?" Have you actually BEEN to Anguilla or are you just spouting off what you've read and heard? YES, it is DISMAL looking, like a SWAMP as a matter of fact! Now, I don't know where you live, but if you think Anguilla is a beautiful island, then I have to assume you live in the Bayou or Appalachia or someplace similar!!

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 12:43 AM
bob

I live i L.A. so I've been to hawaii 40-50 times and know it pretty well. I've been to many islands in the caribbean also and I'd take St Barts over Hawaii any day if it was a one time special trip like a honeymoon.

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 04:18 AM
Nancy

Bob,
(For anyone who doesn't know, Tim has been run off the Caribbean board for constantly bashing the Islands.)
Cap Juluca is one of the most incredible resorts on the island with (arguably) the best beaches in the world.
No golf yet on Anguilla, but everything else you're asking for is there.
There IS horseback riding, because we went riding. The place is close to the ferryboat pier, and the man who runs it let us go off by ourselves on a ride along the beach because we have our own horses and are experienced riders. We had a great time.
The restaurants on Anguilla and St. Martin/St. Maarten are widely regarded to be some of the best in the Caribbean.
The diving/snorkeling was juse OK - not one of the top dests. for that pasttime.
For a relaxing luxury honeymoon, you can't do much better than Cap Juluca.
Congratulations!

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 04:56 AM
Paul

Neither St. Barts nor Anguilla can compare with Hawaii's stunning beauty. Go to Hawaii!!(my personal favorites are Kauai and the Big Island)If for whatever reason you do choose the Carib instead, St-Barth and Anguilla both have gorgeous beaches and good dining, but as a honeymoon location St-Barth beats Anguilla - it is a much prettier island with its hilly terrain and variety, has European/French flair, and offers shopping that is nonexistent on Anguilla. Hotels like Le Toiny or Isle de France are outstanding honeymoon locations.

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 05:01 AM
lucy

We absolutely loved Anguilla and St Barts, stayed at CJ and Le Toiny. We found Altamar to be fantastic! Fab food, service and definitely no attitude!

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 01:30 PM
Sue

Nancy, you said it well. Tim, it appears that you are the one who is spouting at the mouth, as usual, when it comes to Anguilla. You are talking a load of rubbish! To say that the Ritz on St Thomas is a nicer hotel than Cap is an abomination!! What planet are you from?? To begin with, have you even stayed at the Ritz on St Thomas? The FACT remains that Travel and Leisure magazine in its ratings for 2003 rated Cap Juluca among the top 5 resorts in the Caribbean yet again, next to Peter Island, Little Dix, Four Seasons Nevis and Biras Creek. It is well known that Anguilla has fast become a hot destination for honeymooners and those looking to "get away from it all" despite its arid and dry (far from "dismal") terrain because far from what you say, it boasts among the best beaches in the Caribbean, it has some excellent restuants, it is peaceful, not at all commercialized, it has true Caribbean flavour and culture and it affords a great honeymoon, especially after all the stress of a wedding. And I am speaking from personal experience because it is where I chose to spend my honeymoon last year and I have absolutely no regrets on our choice.
Bob, you have to simply ignore Tim's posts because it is obvious that he has'nt a clue as to what he is talking about and his posts are nothing short of misleading in relation to his comments about Anguilla.

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 09:35 PM
Nancy

Bob, Definitely listen to Sharona. She gives the best descriptions of all 3 islands. However, I disagree with Peter
and must defend Altamer. IMO, the service, food and ambience were excellent. Yes it is expensive, but definitely worth it. We actually went back for breakfast which was also excellent. Good luck in your choices.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 01:08 AM
Tim

Run off the Caribbean board, Nancy? By WHOM, might I ask? I DON'T think so! Go there right now and look for the title, "From Tim to Nancy."

And Sue, I will reiterate once again that the Ritz property is FAR MORE beautiful, elegant and classy, with its true Mediterranean architecture, than cheap looking Cap can ever hope to be, despite the Ritz' smaller beach! And it doesn't matter WHAT the rankings are by these magazines because they are READER'S polls, tallied from people just like YOU who have no taste whatsoever! And besides, Peter Island, Little Dix and Biras are all DUMPS compared to the Ritz as well, and, while the Four Seasons has a wonderful interior, the exterior resembles an old barn!! Also, it's too bad that you WASTED your honeymoon at a place like Cap! I just can't imagine any newly married, loving couple even feeling remotely romnatic drivng around that God-Awful place!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -