Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Miami and the Keys in December - peak or off peak?

Old Jul 25th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Hi, we are thinking of flying from London to Miami in early to mid December and visiting Miami and driving down to Key West. We would have about 8 days (total).

Is this a very busy time of year, should we start booking accommodation now or is it quiet before Christmas?

Also, I think the weather should be warm but not hot. Is it likely to be shorts weather or jeans and a warm top?

Thanks for any help!
Kay
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Neopolitan

Generally speaking it is pretty quiet until about a week before Christmas. You should also be able to get good rates at hotels or resorts, which usually raise rates around the 15th of December if not just starting Christmas week.

The weather? Really hard to predict. It should be pleasant, but evenings can be cool. You'll need to prepare for nearly anything but snow or frost! Hopefully, you'll be able to wear shorts, but you'd better bring some long trousers and a sweater or windbreaker in case.

Old Jul 25th, 2006, 12:17 PM

Neo is correct, genereally the 15th things start going up. We have had some of our best weather & trips over Thanksgiving (end of November) & are returning to Key West this year as well. That time of year (when I have visited), it is typically 75-80 degrees F. all the time.
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 12:25 PM
GoTravel

Actually, the second weekend in December is Art Basel in Miami which is a huge citywide convention/art show. Hotel prices will be very expensive and room availability will be tight.

Art Basel is December 7-10th.

Old Jul 25th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help. I'll try and avoid Miami during those dates.

Anyone know any good websites to book accommodation or is it best to go direct to the hotel?

Kay
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 12:34 PM

From a South Florida resident for over 40 years, you should be fine for not crowded hotels, etc. until about the 20th of December. Some motels raise rates around the 15th --- others a few days later.

As for weather, it is usually very nice, but an early winter cold front can come through starting in mid-December (that means a high of 60 or 65 --- low of about 45, which is freezing for us). When it is cold, it usually lasts only two days. Normally in mid and late December, though, it is still in the low 80's for daytime highs. Evenings can get down to 70 or maybe a bit below.

Finally, the Keys are great. You'll love them! However, I'll bet after a few hours in Miami you will head about 25 miles up the coast to Fort Lauderdale and stay there instead.
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Neopolitan

Interestingly enough, I just entered December 10 at random and checked. I had to go back 10 years (1996) to find a low in Key West below 71 and a high below 78 for that date. In 1996 it was 57 to 71. Still sounds pretty good compared to London right?

PS. Hope you can convert the F to C.

Old Jul 25th, 2006, 01:05 PM

www.fla-keys.com, www.keywest.com, www.bestonkeywest.com, www.key-west.com.
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 11:56 PM
Original Poster

It sounds like you wouldn't recommend staying in Miami? If we do, would 2 nights be enough to get a a feel for the place and would we need a car in Miami - I wouldn't want to book 3 nights then feel we've had enough. We are not into bars or nightclubs, like cafes and people watching and browsing around the shops (on a budget). My husband is keen to see the Art Deco architecture.

London and the UK is actually in the middle of a heatwave. It's been hot and humid for weeks now. We are Australians, living in the UK now and are quite surprised by the warm weather. Not that we're complaining, it's lovely!

Thanks for all the advice.
Kay
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 05:43 AM

I'm not crazy about Miami, but I'm not 23 & buff anymore either. There are lots of people, there is a lot of 'bling', nothing is cheap, & it is huge if you are into the bars & nightclubs. Maybe just spend a day walking around S. Beach coming or going ? (I am referring primarily to South Beach, BTW.)
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 11:33 AM

I spent two nights in South Beach and felt like it was just enough. I would go back -- it was fun -- but it's definitely something you can "do" in a weekend.

Maybe tack the Miami nights onto the END of your trip? That way you don't have to do the three-hour drive from Key West immediately before your flight.
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 12:04 PM

Three -hour drive if you are extremely lucky. I 'd allow myself much more time than that, particularly on a weekend.
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 12:09 PM
Neopolitan

Hmmm. I noticed that KayF has been talking about a rental apartment in London over Christmas. Perhaps their travel plans have changed?

Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 04:46 PM

Hmmm. Well I was about to give my normal glowing report of Key West, but no need to waste it on someone who's decided against going there
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 03:49 AM

I don't think Miami is just nightclubs. You could say that about all cities if that were the case. When I first went to Miami I was really impressed. The beautiful water, cruise ships, gorgeous art deco designs in South Beach. Why would anyone be intimidated by 23 yr olds in bikinis? Guess I'm very secure with myself and I haven't let myself go bodywise.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Hi all, we are still going to Miami and the Keys but are planning on late Jan/early Feb. We can't go in December any more due to my husband's work commitments.

I hope there are no big events on where accommodation will be booked out. Does anyone know?

I'm still not sure whether to stay in Miami or Fort Lauderdale or somewhere like Hollywood. Miami doesn't really sound like our scene, the only thing we are keen to see is the Art Deco architecture. We are not into bars or nightclubs but do like walking, cafes, people watching and browsing the shops.

What do you all think?
Kay