Mexican Restaurants in San Antonio

Apr 11th, 2005, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Mexican Restaurants in San Antonio

We're driving through San Antonio and would like to stop for dinner. As a Texas native, I cry over the lack of good Mexican restaurants here in Minnesota and I can't wait to return to TX for some Mexican food and ribs!

I lived in SA from 93 - 97 and have been to Tomatillo's, La Fogata, Mi Tierra, Pappasito's, Rio Rio, and Alamo Cafe. Looks like those places are still around. Any new ones worth checking out? Or, are the ones listed above improved/declined? Does not need to be on the Riverwalk...been there, done that. Let me know your recommendations!

Thanks!
Jane
Apr 11th, 2005, 06:45 AM

We liked Aldaco's when we went.
Apr 11th, 2005, 07:09 AM

Glad to see Mi Tierra on a native texan's list! We were there a few years ago and really enjoyed our dinner, the strolling singers and dd loved the handmade tiaras.
Apr 14th, 2005, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Any other recommendations?
Apr 14th, 2005, 02:01 PM

As you are driving west on I-10, Las Palapas is just past the Camp Bullis Road exit. They stay open really late and the food is great!

Besides that, Tomatillo's is one of my favorites.
Apr 14th, 2005, 06:20 PM

I don't see Los Barrios on your list. There are two now but I like the original one on Blanco (inside Loop 410) the best. Great food and the best homemade corn tortillas (you have to order them - they aren't served with meals like the flour tortillas are).
Apr 15th, 2005, 02:56 PM

There is always Taco Cabana for their homemade flour tortillas. Yum.
Apr 15th, 2005, 05:23 PM
tmh

Pico de Gallo's is very good - took over as my favorite from Mia Tierra. Owned by the same family/group but far less touristy. It's just west of Mi Tierra under 35. It's across from a college but can't recall which one. Nice parking lot so no problem like at Mi Tierra's either.
Apr 18th, 2005, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies! I'll look into all of these. Just 2 more weeks--- my mouth is already watering!

Wsoxrebel- Taco Cabana was one of our favorites. We'd do the late night drive thru to get those tortillas and queso--- ahh, college days!

Jane
Apr 18th, 2005, 06:41 AM

Have to admit that we treat Taco Cabana as something of a reliable standby, a place to drive through when time is short, but it's "McMexican" for sure - not as bad as Taco Bell, but not a top flight dining experience, either.
Other places that are reliably great - La Fonda on Main (but not the other locations with the same name), Paloma Blanca on Broadway, Rosario's on South Alamo. Picante Grill on Broadway across from the Witte is a family run place that serves great, authentic mexican food, too.
May 1st, 2005, 04:49 AM

If I were driving through town and could only eat at one Mexican restaurant, I would eat at Rosario's (mentioned above). However, scratch that if it's 7pm or later on a Friday or Saturday night. There is usually at least a two hour wait and they don't take reservations.
May 5th, 2005, 10:49 AM

We loved La Fonda on Main - away from the bustle of town. A great patio with all the big oak trees and very good margaritas. Our hosts at our B&B recommended it and we loved it!

Search this Thread