San Antonio-Riverwalk confusion!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2004, 12:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are coming from California to San Antonio and will spend about 3 days there. After San Antonio we'll be spending about 4 days in Austin (attending my niece's wedding and being tourists!).
We have never been to San Antonio before and I am just beginning my research.
I am trying to figure out where we want to stay. I keep hearing "Riverwalk". It sounds like there are lots of restaurants (but everyone says "don't eat there") but I have not heard of anything else to see on the Riverwalk. Its been confusing to me.
So, why do I want to stay on the Riverwalk if you "don't eat at any of the restaurants there-they are all too touristy."
The Emily Morgan sounds like a very nice hotel but the Drury seems to have more but is more expensive (it has a buffet breakfast and evening beverages). I think it is closer to the Riverwalk too.
Any information about the Riverwalk would be appreciated. And the hotels as well.
Thank you for your time!
Shadow
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 03:31 AM

Riverwalk is a lot of fun. There are stores, restaurants and hotels. It is near the Alamo. There is a small mall that enters into it. You should enjoy your visit there. It is an older (1930s) development that is actually below street level. I wouldn't stay anywhere else in San Antonio. Have fun.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 04:40 AM

The Riverwalk IS San Antonio. If you stay anywhere else, you will just end up driving down to the Riverwalk area to shop and sightsee.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 05:30 AM

I agree with the other posters--stay at the Riverwalk! Take the little cruise down the river--you'll learn interesting history and get to see the whole riverwalk area. And don't listen too much to the people who say not to eat on the Riverwalk. Sure, the restaurants are a little crowded and "touristy", but you're tourists, right? I always eat down there. You just have to choose the right restaurants. Boudro's is great, and I also enjoy Landry's. I would, however, venture out a couple of times for meals. Try Mi Tierra for lunch one day.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 05:34 AM

There have been a few good restaurant additions to the Riverwalk in the past few years. Boudros is one. I'd ask the concierge for info on good restaurants on the Riverwalk as well. I agree with Mi Tierra for breakfast. The Riverwalk is fun & pretty. Take a little boat ride too.

Have fun in Austin...Where are you staying and when are you visiting?
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 06:27 AM

I'll agree that the restaurants on the Riverwalk are touristy, but there are several that are also pretty good food, too. The Riverwalk also has some shops and bars, too. It's great fun at night, and the tours during the day are nice, too. I love Rudy's BBQ and there is a Riverwalk location.

Most of the big hotels in the area, including Emily Morgan and Drury, are within a block from the Riverwalk. Some of them actually sit right on the Riverwalk. We like to stay at the Wyndham St. Anthony which is a block off. If you get one that faces the Riverwalk and has a balcony, it can sometimes be noisy at night.

If you have access to a car while you're in San Antonio, do the "Mission Trail" of the 4 Spanish missions just South of downtown. These, and the Alamo, were what put San Antonio on the map. They are now run by the National Park Service, and there's a great visitors' center at Mission San Jose.

Personally, I find that there's more to do in San Antonio than in Austin, but that could be just me.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 06:50 AM
Kal

Alohaaa,
I describe SA's Riverwalk to my friends as New Orleans' "Bourbon St with a river thru it".
No "go cups" tho. :-<

Didn't have a bad meal there even at "touristy" restaurants.

Ditto the boat tour, especially if you can go on a night that has nice weather.

We've stayed at the Emily Morgan and The Menger.
Liked the Menger better but the room at The Emily was up on the 9th floor or so and overlooked The Alamo.

Both hotels are haunted!
They are about a block from The RivWalk but away from any loud crowds.

It's on my "must return list".
We have Austin on our "to do list" so let us know how you did in Austin.
Kal
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 07:16 AM

The Riverwalk - or Paseo del Rio - originally began as a WPA flood control project to channel the San Antonio River as it winds through downtown. It was developed as a tourist attraction with the addition of shops, restaurants and hotels over the years. There is lush foliage and interesting architecture all along, making for a nice stroll. Of course, the portion where there is a concentration of shops does get crowded. For most tourists, it symbolizes San Antonio because it is right in the middle of downtown and features prominently in touristic advertising. There are some good restuarants on the River - Boudro's probably being the best - and even the more touristy places don't serve truly bad food, just mediocre.
There is also life outside the Riverwalk. If you like art, the McNay museum is an excellent place, the SA Museum of Art is a showcase for the Rockefeller collection of precolumbian art, and the Southtown area (few blocks form downtown) has some cool galleries. As Christie mentioned, the mission trail is also cool.
So, whether staying right on the Riverwalk or just a few blocks away you should be fine. There is also a trolley that runs through downtown, providing easy access to the Mexican Market (El Mercado) area with little shops and the much recommended Mi Tierra restaurant.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 07:29 AM

We used to go the SA as kids years ago. They used to have a Mexican dance show at night, the Ballet Folklorico I am thinking. It was wonderful. You would sit on one side of the river and watch the show on the other side.

Also there used to be a Mexican restaurant there called Casa Rio that was right on the river. Great Mexican food as I recall. Are these things still a part of the San Antonio culture? They were a little touristy, but so fun.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 04:55 PM
Gin

We are planning to stay at the Drury in Nov. I was hoping for a balcony overlooking the river. Will this be too noisy? or is it "far" enough from the main action/noise? Thanks for all the info, and now I know, we'll definitely be eating at Boudro's
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 06:39 PM

Highly recommend staying at the Menger - the antique hotel in SA...lots of character and old time charm. It is practically across the tsreet from the Riverwalk and the Alamo and also close to other downtown shopping and tour buses.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for letting me know more about San Antonio and the Riverwalk. Will try to get into Boudros for sure!
Should I plan one full day for the Riverwalk (we'll be there for 3 days)?
Also, am trying to decide to stay at the Menger or Hampton Inn. The HAampton Inn ncludes brakfast but is a little bit more and the Menger does not include brakfst. Are breakfast places close by on the Riverwalk?
Shadow
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 07:59 AM

We walked along Riverwalk every day while in San Antonio. Ate at Boudro's (great fresh guacamole dip made at your table, also try the prickly pear margarita, delicious) We also liked an Italian restaurant on Riverwalk but I can't remember its name.
Do be sure to take the boat tour down the center of Riverwalk. It was very entertaining and most informative. Riverwalk was the best part of San Antonio in our opinion. Really missed the festive atmosphere when we returned home. Have fun.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 08:06 AM

Do you need reservations at Boudro's or can you just show up and get a table?
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 02:35 PM

I'm not sure if it is necessary to make reservations, guess it depends on how busy it is, but I have found it to be convenient. (Just visited Charleston and saved myself an hour and a half wait because I had made reservations on line.) You can go to Boudros.com to make them and peruse their menu as well.
Also,I remembered the Italian place that we liked so much, it is Paesano's on Riverwalk. We ate there twice. Wish I could go back, Spring is a perfect time for enjoying all of San Antonio's outdoor dining. Enjoy.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 04:33 PM
Kal

Shadow, I'd pick the Menger any day over a Hampton.
When I stayed at the Menger, it had a pretty good breakfast buffet in it's great dining room. Can't recall how much it was but it wasn't that expensive.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 07:13 PM

What about a bed & breakfast? I've been told there are some really nice ones on or near the Riverwalk; I haven't had a chance to check them out (ended up staying with friends). Just type bed & breakfast + san antonio into google and you'll get some results.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 08:17 PM

Near the Riverwalk are La Villita, a restored village with lots of shops, and Market Square. Both have great things to buy. Rio Rio on the river has good Mexican food -- and lots of it. If you want to splurge, dine at Biga on the Banks (delicious, inventive food -- chef has has received numerous James Beard Foundation nominations) or La Reve (fabulous French food in a relaxed setting with several complimentary tasting courses brought througout the meal -- named best French restaurant in Texas by Gourmet magazine). Have a fabulous time!
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 11:04 AM

Just returned from San Antonio, we stayed at the Hilton Palicio del Rio and liked it very much. You can take the elevator right down to Riverwalk level. The hotel was nice and it was very clean. I think you have to walk Riverwalk just because it is such a big part of the city. My husband and I enjoyed the atmosphere especially the early part of the week when it wasn't very crowded. We sat out in front of the Hilton at night and enjoyed the evening and watched people walk by. We ate on the Riverwalk every night we were there and enjoyed the places we ate at though some were better than others. Even though I haven't been to the other hotels I would highly recommend the Hilton.
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 11:43 AM
dcespedes

Hi Shadow--I live in San Antonio and where you're planning to stay, The Drury, is off the main thoroughfares so it "should" be quiet. There are a lot of hotels along the river--there's also a Hyatt, Marriott, Wyndam, Mansion Del Rio. Re: food, I would also like to recommend Boudros--if you'll be here during the week reservations shouldn't be necessary but I would secure one for the weekend. Another great restaurant on the river is Rio Rio and for a special occasion check out Biga On The Banks--it is fabulous! The Riverwalk is beautiful--we've lived in San Antonio for 15 years and really enjoy living here. I hope this helps--enjoy a great trip!