Mendocino CA in early April

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are in CA for six months taking care of our new grandson since his mother had to return to work in January (we're from Maine). Her vacation is coming up and we're considering a trip to Mendocino for a couple of days probably the Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday after Easter. We are in Larkspur now (Marin County) and have explored Napa and Sonoma. Can anyone suggest a nice place to stay (quiet) and not allowing pets? Any recommendations for restaurants?

Is there another destination we should consider...driving not flying. We've seen Big Sur and Carmel, etc.

Thanks!
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 05:54 PM

Have you been to Yosemite? April is generally prime waterfall season. Lodging can be tough to get, but you might luck into a cancellation - people make reservations a year in advance if they think they'll be able to go and then a lot of times end up having to cancel.
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

We haven't, and thought about it but were concerned whether it was too early in the season. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 06:07 PM

How many are going? Just you and your husband, or the whole family and the baby?
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 06:26 PM

Quiet shouldn't be a problem. Mendocino is a couples/adult-oriented village. Lodging is B & Bs and rentals e.g.
www.mendocinovacations.com.
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Our daughter, husband and baby will be away...just my husband and me for this trip.
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 07:50 PM

We used to go up to Mendocino every couple of years, but it's been a few years now since we've been there . We've stayed in several places; I'd say our overall favorite was the Joshua Grindle.
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 06:19 PM

If you go up to Mendocino on Hwy 1 (highly recommended), it will take you all day. So, get an early start. We've taken this drive in April several times and were lucky enough to see whales right off the coast. On your way back take Hwy 128 through the beautiful Anderson Valley to Hwy 101. This route should only take 3 to 4 hours from Mendocino to Larkspur unless you stop at some of the excellent vineyards for wine tasting.

If you can, go to Yosemite in May. The falls are awesome then and wildflowers are prolific in the Valley.
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. We've been advised that it's a little early for Yosemite (first week of April). From what I read, the Northern Coast will remind us of home (New England). We're anxious for a break though enjoying five days a week with our now 9-month old grandson!
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

We just got back from Mendocino and loved it! We stayed at the Joshua Grindle Inn which was beyond our expectations. We did stop at several wineries on our way back. Also loved the scenery in Elk.

Once again, thanks for all your suggestions.