Meeting place in Phoenix airport?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all. Who likes puzzles? I'm meeting some family at the Phoenix airport, planning on caravaning up to Sedona. We're flying Southwest and the other party is flying Northwest. From looking at an airport map it looks like we arrive in different terminals. We are both renting cars: we're going with Dollar and the others are using National. Our flights are scheduled to arrive within about five minutes of each other. Where would the best meeting place be?
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 03:53 AM
Original Poster

Can anyone help me? Pretty please?
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 04:52 AM

What about the car rental stands at the terminal? Are there different ones at the different terminals?
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 06:13 AM
ceg

Car rentals are all off site in Phoenix, I would suggest that you choose to meet near one of the car rental places. It would be easier if you were renting from the same car rental then you could easily meet at the rental agency. Have you consider that?
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 06:19 AM

But there are rental counters in the baggage claim area. I just flew Southwest into Sky Harbor & checked in for our car in the baggage claim. The actual CAR is offsite, we had to take a shuttle, but there are rental car counters in the airport.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, cassidy, but from what I understand, we arrive at different terminals.

Is there a logical place to meet that's between the two terminals, or at the end of one or the other?
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

I just did a search here and found the railroad park, on the way out of Phoenix. Would it just make more sense to meet there, after we both have our rental cars?
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 10:26 AM

The area around the airport is not very nice, nor is it conducive for meeting someone. I'd suggest that you both get your cars and drive towards your destination (sedona). You will take I-17 North. About 4-6 miles north of the airport is Northern Avenue, where you should get off, and go east about 4 blocks. At 1820 W. Northern Avenue is a Starbucks. You could meet there. Have cellphones. Enjoy your trip.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 10:42 AM

We just did this with people coming from Boston, Atlanta and New york. Fortunately all in Terminal 3.
My recommendation is to rendezvous in either terminal in baggage claim (the car rentals are right there.)
We had cell phones and this made the rendezvous easier. You can get from one terminal to another by a shuttle. (a little too far to walk carry luggage.)
Southwest is the big carrier so that terminal may be best.
The other alternative would be at the car rental place but one of you would have to drive to the other. They are away from the airport but close to each other.
Good luck. Sedona is amazing. Do Pink Jeeps tour, eat at Pizza Picazzo and Red Planet Diner.
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 06:52 PM

if it was me I'd coordinate between the two car rental businesses. Either they are right next to each other or a few miles apart.
With a cell phone it should not be a problem. I have no idea what the train park comment is all about and I would forget looking for a starbucks 10-15 miles from the airport! Staying close to the aiport will help coordinate any problems that may arise.
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 05:14 PM

i wasn't trying to be rude regarding the "train park comment"...i didn't realize you posted it yourself (as opposed to someone familiar with the area)!
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. We're leaving tomorrow, and we're going to meet at that Starbucks that jkgourmet recommended. It's not convenient for either of us to change car rental agencies so it seems logical to meet away from the airport confusion. We're looking forward to Sedona!
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

We're back and meeting at the Starbucks worked really well. My parents had to wait f-o-r-e-v-e-r to get their luggage, so my DH had time to get his hair cut next door.

Sedona was beautiful. I'm really not a desert person but boy, the kids (3 and 5) sure had fun.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 04:46 PM
emd

Jocelyn P, I am in dire need of a Sedona fix. Please, tell us what you did there, how were the wildflowers (supposed to be awesome thi syr due to heavy rains- I was there in late Feb and it was all just soaked). Did you hike at all w/the little ones, what? Shop? Eat? Just dazzled by the ourdoor beauty? Where did you stay? Please, please.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

LOL, emd! I've enjoyed reading your posts about Sedona.

We stayed with my parents who have a timeshare at Los Abrigados Resort. They were able to reserve the Celebrity House, which is an 1800 sq ft house with a large front patio, very private backyard with koi pond and marvelous pool. We had a great view of the red rocks from the pool and would laze around, watching the colors change as the day progressed. The house was plenty big for the 6 of us.

We did a lot of lounging and letting Grandma hide Easter eggs for the grandkids. We did take the kids on a jeep tour (Red Rock Jeep Co's Soldier Pass) which scared the daylights out of me but the kids loved. We also went up to the Rainbow Trout Farm recommended on the Fodors destinations guide, a few miles north of Sedona on 89-A. The kids had a blast "fishing" and it provided us with a couple of great dinners. We ate most of our meals at the house, although we had a pleasant lunch at the Secret Garden Cafe in Tlaquepaque. The only hiking we did was around the resort. I was nervous about taking the kids too far. A couple of time during the jeep tour we were able to get out to stretch our legs, and the little ones had a ball running around and jumping off the rocks.

The drive from Phx to Sedona was spectular with the wildflowers. I've done that drive (well, Phx to Flagstaff) a few times before but never this time of year so I don't know what the standard is, but we were definitely impressed with the color display.

We really did enjoy ourselves and my daughter keeps talking about how she misses Sedona. Awwwww....
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 04:25 AM
emd

Thank you very much, Jocelyn. It sounds great, and really takes me there just to read it. Los Abrigados must be a nice place to timeshare. How did you restrain yourself from shopping since it is right there at Tlaquepaque? On my trip in Feb. I was pretty good til the last day, after hiking Broken Arrow on Sunday morning early, I thought I'd drop by Tlaq. on way out to the airport. Haha. I ended up in the handwoven goods store and my favorite unique jewelry shop there. And I missed the plane and ended up staying overnight in Phoenix due to it. Not the worst outcome.
Do they always get this same week at the timeshare? If you ever get a chance to go to Los Abrigados in Dec. (early, before the crowds get bigger), take the kids to see the Red Rock light display. Your kids would love Slide Rock in the summer. The fishing sounds fun- we almost went there one time, but we were staying at Junipine further up the canyon and basically just had to drop a line w/a pieces of corn on it into the water and the big trout would come. As your kids get older, the horsebackriding at Trailhorse Adventures is great, out by Red Rock State Park. They have easy and safe little ranger led hikes (good for kiddies) at that state park.
I am renting a place somewhere in the area in Dec. for a wk. Somewhere w/hiking right out the front door.