Rental Car return to FRA

Search

Rental Car return to FRA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rental Car return to FRA

We have an early morning flight and will be needing to return a rental car to Avis. I understand that this is somewhat tricky at FRA. Any tips would be appreciated.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 11:29 AM

Just return it the day before. I hope your experience is better than mine was when I returned my car to Europe car, on June 8th and got locked inside Gare du Nord.

Good luck!
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

We cannot turn the car in the night before since we will be in St Goar which is about 75 minutes away.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 04:30 AM
ira

ttt
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 11:28 AM

The only thing tricky about our return of the rental car at Frankfurt Airport two weeks ago is that there are no signs telling you what to do as you enter the airport. I kept looking for the sign (or symbol) for rental cars as I entered the airport, but never saw it. I finally asked at the on-site gas station.

You can return any rental car at either Terminal 1 or Terminal 2. Just follow the signs to either terminal and, eventually, you will the sign for rental car return. It may not be the easiest to get to, so drive slowly until you see the entrance for car returns. It will be in the underground parking garage, and each rental agency has a small area for returning the car. When you return, be 101% certain that the person checking out the car upon return is indeed an employee of the rental agency. Since the car rental office is nowhere near the place where you park, it is possible (and people have been able!) to pose as an employee, take your keys, and then drive off with your rental car! If you feel REALLY paranoid, just say you'll return the keys to the office.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 12:55 PM

Several years ago we had so much trouble trying to return a car at FRA that we finally had to get a cab and ask him to lead us there. It sounds very funny now, but at the moment it wasn't!
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 12:59 PM

Every year for the past 5 years our flights out of Lyon were so early that the rental offices were never open.

We arranged when we picked up the car to just leave it at the rental lot early in the morning of our return flight and drop the keys into the drop-off slot. We get the contract returned by mail.

We've never had a problem doing this.
We've always rented from Europcar.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 04:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I CAN IDENTIFY!!!
Their symbol for auto rental looks to me virtually the same as the symbol for parking lot.
We finally figured it out about 8 feet from where one should turn. Sorry, Frenchmen.
Once parked, then you head for the terminal. Once inside, hold up your Avis booklet/literature and look helpless. Palms up, shoulders shrugged, quizzical look on face. Someone will help. Worked for us.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 07:09 PM

Cancel everything in my post; I apparently misread your post. I took "FRA" as the abbreviation for the airport in Frankfurt, Germany; which, based on the other responses, is not where you are dropping your car off at.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Sorry for any confusion. I did mean the Frankfurt Airport. We did decide to turn the car in the night before and we're glad we did! We would never have made our flight in time if we had returned it in the morning.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 10:25 AM

Hi ragdoll,

If it isn't too much trouble, could you please elaborate on the trouble with turning in a rental car at Frankfurt Airport? I was planning to return ours the morning of our flight. Any tips?
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Hi Texas,
The car rental return at Frankfurt is just confusing. We followed what we thought were the right signs only to find ourselves pulling into an employee parking lot. We had to circle around and try again. We got it the second time. Once you return your car in the garage, you need to find your way to the car rental return desk in the airport to officially check out. If you have plenty of time, do it the day your depart. We had an 8:00 AM flight and didn't want to be messing around at 6:00 AM so we dropped the car the next before and stayed at the nearby Steigenberger.
Good luck!
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 11:43 AM

Hi ragdoll,

Thanks for the info. Our flight departs at 11am the next day and I'm not sure we'll be able to return the car the night before. I guess I'll just plan on being at the airport by no later than 8am... expecting that it may take an hour to get the car turned in