mauna lani vs. hapuna prince

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2018, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello, I am taking a big family trip this summer... and am feeling stumped about hotels.. Mauna Lani is closer to Kona.. so less of a drive from airport, and appears to have magical grounds.. but... are the rooms run down? .... Hapuna, farther from airport, recently completed remodel, 100 less per night... but maybe less lovely... Any input? Thank you!
Old Apr 11th, 2018, 06:28 AM

I enjoyed the Hapuna Beach before it was remodeled so can only imagine it now. The BEACH is the best on the island and it is right outside your door. Cannot say anything about the Mauni lani as I have only visited it but not stayed there. $100.00 a night is a good savings and one can do a lot with that!
Old Apr 11th, 2018, 10:28 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
We have stayed at the Mauna Lani, several years ago. I wouldn't think the rooms are rundown, as it was a spectacularly well-kept hotel and grounds.
In that same time-frame (before it was remodeled), we snorkeled at the Hapuna Prince beach. We did not stay at the hotel.
The Mauna Lani is more elegant and private. There is good snorkeling there, in a cove a short walk from the hotel building. Beautiful swimming beach, and nice walking paths along the water.
The Hapuna beach is great, but does get a fair amount of tourist traffic, since it is open to the public (until it fills up).
So, I'd say it's a matter of the $100/day, which is a fair amount of money.
Do either of them charge extra for parking?
Or hidden resort fees?
Do the dining options look good at each one?
Old Apr 11th, 2018, 10:28 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE=MoBro;16710838]We have stayed at the Mauna Lani, several years ago. I wouldn't think the rooms are rundown, as it was a spectacularly well-kept hotel and grounds.
In that same time-frame (before it was remodeled), we snorkeled at the Hapuna Prince beach. We did not stay at the hotel.
The Mauna Lani is more elegant and private. There is good snorkeling there, in a cove a short walk from the hotel building. Beautiful swimming beach, and nice walking paths along the water.
The Hapuna beach is great, but does get a fair amount of tourist traffic, since it is open to the public (until it fills up).
So, I'd say it's a matter of the $100/day, which is a fair amount of money.
Do either of them charge extra for parking?
Or hidden resort fees?
Do the dining options look good at each one?
Old Apr 11th, 2018, 11:16 AM

We stayed at the Hapuna Beach Prince a few years ago and loved it. The beach is fantastic. Have not been since the remodel, but I imagine it's even better now.
Old Apr 18th, 2018, 08:54 AM

I have stayed at neither but agree with Shar's comment above: Hapuna Beach is one of the best on Big Island. We swim there as often as possible. Niece and nephew visited from Ohio last year and it was their favorite - and we went to every kind of beach they could imagine. It's a bit of drive from Kailua-Kona, as OP noted. If going to town matters.
Old Apr 18th, 2018, 10:02 AM

Loved staying at the Hapuna Beach and can just imagine how nice it must be after a remodel. We had a room on the ground floor facing the beach and could sit under the trees enjoying the view and walk directly to the pool and ocean from the lanai.

it is a bit of a drive but wasn’t an issue at all for us.