Maui tips, cheap and safe, just starting my planning

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2010, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My graduating senior son wants a trip to Hawaii for graduation. Parents and grandparents have decided to gift this for various reasons. He is somewhat sheltered (Nebraska) and has rarely been out of the state and I think it would be good for him to get out and experience some life without someone holding his hand. I do have family (by marriage) on the big island that could be called in an emergency.

Anyway, he has a friend (who unfortunately he cannot stay with) in Lahaina on Maui (I hope I spelled that right) so I am looking for cheap, safe lodging that would accept a 19 year old young man (he's not likely to destroy or party or anything). As long as its safe, has a bed, and a bathroom, that's about all it needs. I will be making the arrangements for travel and lodging.

Also, any general tips for planning a trip to Hawaii.

Thank you in advance.
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 07:18 AM

What a nice graduation gift! If he won't be needing a car while he's there (assuming his friend can pick him up from the airport and drive him around), you might look at the Pioneer Inn. It's located right on the beach on Front Street (the main tourist street) in Lahaina. For us (ahem) older folks it would be too noisy, but for a 19-yr-old out to experience Maui for the first time, it would probably be a lot of fun. It's actually a Best Western hotel, and is located right in the heart of the shopping, tourist area of Lahaina, right on the wharf. He'd have access to every kind of restaurant imaginable, plus ABC stores (which are like mini-Wal-Marts) on every block for buying necessities.

Here's a link to the hotel's website:

http://www.bestwesternhawaii.com/hot...n-pioneer-inn/
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 07:43 AM

He will not be able to rent a car or rent a hotel room at the age of 19. There are several hostels in Lahaina. That might be a reasonable option for him.

www.alternative-hawaii.com
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 11:11 AM

Placename: duh - I didn't even think of his age in connection with renting a car.

I didn't even consider a hostel.

geth: are you looking for an inexpensive hotel/motel, or a would a hostel be acceptable?
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 12:08 PM

Perhaps his friend could help him rent a room somewhere, if he can provide some recommendations from a local, even the folks on the Big Island. Look for studio apartments on www.vrbo.com. These are owner-rented places. You might do the first contact, and refer the owner to your son's friend for a recommendation, etc.
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies! I think a hostel will be acceptable. I've never stayed in one myself so never considered it. His friend will be doing the traveling there so he won't need a car. Frankly, I don't mind if he has to "rough it" a bit, as long as he's relatively safe.

For those who are HI experts, any tips or websites or anything that I can visit to do my own research?
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 12:34 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Trip Advisor has very active forums for the various islands and cities.
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 01:37 PM

Make sure you do due diligence on hostels; some of them are terrific for young people, can be very iffy crime-wise. There are rating sites. Lahaina's hostel looks ok! here's a booking/rating site
http://www.hostelworld.com/findabed....senCountry.USA
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

thanks so much for the link! I'd been searching for a hostel site but had not found that one.
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 04:05 PM

Here's a website I use for events on the Big Island, but it has sections for all islands.

http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/

And, although this is for the Big Island, I think it is excellent, and I've gotten so many good tips on free and cheap activities. (I picked up the tip on Fodor's)

http://bigislandonthecheap.com/
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 04:17 PM

I stayed at the Nona Lani Cottages in Kihei, and the owners also operate the Happy Valley Hale Hostel.

http://www.nonalanicottages.com/nlabout.htm

The picture I linked to shows the family who built the cottages, and still run them. It's a very sweet operation. The rooms are decorated with paintings by owner, and her daughter makes and sells leis.