Search

car in Maui?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2010, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car in Maui?

Do I REALLY have to rent a car while vacationing in Maui? My husband and I are celebrating our 20th anniversary and just want to lay on the beach and relax! We are from the midwest and want to soak in the sun!!! We are staying at the Royal Lahaina. Can we get by with no car?
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 07:58 AM

IMHO,, No. There is just so much to do and see and enjoy on Maui (other than taking in the sun) that you will need a car for. The airport is quite a distance from that area and will be quite costly to get to the hotel, so also consider that factor. The Royal Lahaina is a little remote and not in heart of Kaanapali and NOT within close walking distance to shops and restaurants. There are car rental deals to be found. Search the usual places and also a couple sites I have seen recommended here are: http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/rates.shtml and http://www.carrentalinhawaii.com/
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 09:17 AM

Although I agree with hpeabody in general, if you really don't want to rent a car and plan to just stay at the hotel for relaxation and meals, give it a try. You can always rent a car later, or if you want to tour around for a day, rent one for a day. Check out with the hotel or on the internet how to get from the airport to the hotel (about an hour drive) or what the approximate cab cost would be. Maui is my husband's favorite vacation destination - lovely place.
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I forgot to mention that we have arranged transportation to and from the airport already. I guess we could rent a car for a day if we wanted once we got there and decided what we want to do.
Anyone have any experience staying at the Royal Lahaina? The cost was a big factor for us in choosing it.
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 11:13 AM

There is a Lahaina/Kaanapali shuttle, combine that tours where you are picked up at your hotel you can manage.
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 12:46 PM

Why would you want to fly all the way to Maui and just lay on a beach? There is so much to see and do on Maui! I have been there twice and my kids absolutely love it there. Take some time and explore the island a couple days. buy the book " Maui Revealed" and this will open your exploration to many more avenues that are hidden gems! Take some short drives to other beaches, and enjoy the scenery, ocean life, aand take some great photos. I hope you enjoy your beach, but do take the time to see the island.
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

I see your point RangerRick about lying on the beach. But, my hubby is a farmer and works 18 hour days/365 a year. We don't get to spend much time together with four kids at home. So, for us the idea of doing "nothing" (ALONE) is a vacation. I know, it sounds crazy...but, to us it is paradise. I do have the "Maui Revealed" book and we do plan on doing some exploring. We are especially excited about snorkeling.
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 01:19 PM

Of course you don't REALLY NEED a car, but I would consider one. A person used to working 18 hours a day with plenty of manual labor may not have an easy time settling down to do nothing. With a car you can explore for just a few hours a day and still have plenty of down time at the hotel. I would try priceline for part or all of your trip. See what deals you can get for a rental by your hotel for half your stay? Our first time we actually went to a movie the first day to decompress