Help! We are going to Maui

Old May 9th, 2003, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! We are going to Maui

Me and 4 of my friends are all going to Maui from July 14-22, We are all between 20 and 21. I am trying to plan this trip, but I'm trying to figure out really cheap places to stay (camping??), little grass huts, something? We are also trying to figure a way to get around (are age keeps us from renting a car) Could anyone please help us? Thanks Alot!
Old May 9th, 2003, 07:45 PM

If you go to www.lonelyplanet.com, the thorntree discussion board has lots of suggestions for budget travel.
Search the United States site by entering "maui".
Many reports there suggest that camping can be risky as the local transient population can be rough.
Those who have done this suggest considering the condo rentals or cheap local hotels off the beaches.
There are several specific suggestions.
Old May 9th, 2003, 08:42 PM

If you're in the Lahaina / Kaanapali area there are shuttle buses between them. Otherwise you'll need a car.. can you not get one, maybe paying extra ?
Regarding accommodations, it's hard to say not knowing budgets etc, one hotel in Lahaina offering budget rates is Aston/Ohana Maui Islander, also the Lahaina Shores. Try vrbo.com for condos which will be your best bet I think.
I can't offer any suggestions about south Maui - Kihei, but I bet there's lots of places down there too. Good luck !
Old May 9th, 2003, 09:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can go dirt cheap in Kihei, a short walk from the beach. No grass huts, but comfy and maybe an ocean view.
There are regular shuttles to the airport and you can walk to food and fun in town.
Old May 9th, 2003, 09:46 PM

Well, since there are 4 of you try renting a condo....www.vrbo.com...but then again since you're pretty young it might be a challenge. The Kihei (pronounced Key-hey) area would be great. There are 3 main beaches there. We liked Kamaole #1. We stayed at the Maui Coast Hotel (pretty cheap and very nice). There was a live band every night at the pool. Maui really lacks for nightlife unless you go to Lahania.
Old May 10th, 2003, 07:22 AM

What time of year were you at Maui Coast Hotel with nightly bands? I wonder if that's just a 'high season' bonus?
Old May 10th, 2003, 07:36 AM

The cheapest place to stay on Maui is Banana Bungalow (a hostel). Their web site is:

http://www.mauihostel.com/

Banana Bungalow is in the town of Wailuku and it is not near the beaches and tourist attractions. However it is cheap - $17.50 per night per person or $50 per night for three people.
Old May 10th, 2003, 08:51 AM

If any of you are 21 you can rent a car from Budget with a $25 a day surcharge.
I think a car is necessary on Maui.

If you can't get a car I'd think about Waikiki instead.