Maui, South Kihei condo advice

Old Aug 20th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maui, South Kihei condo advice

Hi, we would like to stay at Hale Pau Hana, but the rates are a little steep for us. On VRBO, there is a unit in the low rise section on the second floor #28. I'm a little nervous because it didn't get a good review a couple of years ago, but has been updated. Also we are looking at #11 in the low rise at a deeper discount through Condominium Rentals Hawaii. It looks updated on the website, but price seems "too low." Can anyone advise on either of the 2 units? Thanks ahead of time.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 11:07 AM

I have stayed at Hale Pau Hana in the past, but neither of these specific units. I would lean towards Condominium Rentals Hawaii, though. Do they only have the one unit at HPH? If so, and it is the one shown in their slideshow, it looks quite nice. I have rented from private owners, but generally have better luck with small on-island agencies. They would have more flexibility in responding to problems, and even moving you elsewhere if something is just not satisfactory. I love the large grass lawn and beachfront access at HPH. I do think the rates are very high, though, from the HPH website, and there don't seem to be any "specials". I just booked a Maui condo for October (elsewhere) and found many discount and free night offers out there.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 12:05 PM

I happen to own number 27 at Hale Pau Hana. I've stuck my head in the door of 28 a few times and I know the owner.
You can take a look inside at halepauhana.com. We are proud of our beachfront location, with dining and shopping across the street.
28 is an end unit and therefore has an additional view window.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Logan Dog and Barbara, Logandog, in your opinion was unit 28 nice? Barbara, they have one more unit in the high rise. Both are about the same price. Unit 28 is on the 2nd floor and unit 11 is on the main level. Can you offer me any more advice? Much appreciated! Marlene
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 07:25 PM

We had a ground floor unit in the high rise building, mostly because I like having two bathrooms. There are pros and cons to ground floor. I like having the lawn as an extension of my lanai, and I enjoy a stroll to the pool or beach without taking stairs or elevator. Many people worry about security on the ground floor. For me, the biggest drawback is that I can't sit out on the lanai in my nightgown to have my morning coffee. The other unit we rented was 2nd floor in the low rise building. Actually, our son and his wife stayed in that unit. They loved it. It was their anniversary. We gave them a bit of privacy by staying with the grandkids at the neighboring complex, Kamaole Nalu.
Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Barbara, for responding. For reasons you mentioned a second floor choice might be the best. Pretty much you have to keep the condo closed up when you leave and at night because of security reasons. There goes the airflow. LoganDog can you give me some updated info on the unit. Thanks!
Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 09:23 AM

I haven't toured 28 so I really can't offer an opinion,based on the link I posted it looks ok.
I think that the main attraction of Hale Pau Hana is the oceanfront location. Views are better from the second floor but having the lawn off your lanai is very nice.
We leave or lanai door open at night but lock the screen. We close the door sometimes while watching TV because the surf makes it difficult to hear.
Snorkeling is very good at both ends of the ends of the beach.There are lots of close dining choices including a Da Kitchen across the street.
Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again, LD and Barbara, for your help in choosing the condo for our trip. We will take Unit 28 on second floor. I think it will match us and then we should have not have any worries about privacy and security which might be a problem on the ground floor lanai. We appreciate your help!

Marlene
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 10:11 AM

Marlene-
Have you taken your trip to Maui yet? My husband and I are considering this unit - #28 for our next trip. Please let me know. Thanks, Kristen