Where to stay in MAUI??

Old Feb 7th, 2004, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay in MAUI??

Headed to Maui at the end of March. Will be on a cruise beginning Sunday. Want to arrive in Hawaii on Wed. afternoon prior for 3 days of rest before the cruise. Looking for a place that is maybe a bit off the beaten path - no huge high rise hotels. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 03:21 PM

I always stay at the Maui Kai on the beach just above Kaanapali. I stay in unit #402 but from talking to other guests, it sounds like all the units are nice. 402 is a studio but they also have 1 and 2 bedroom units. They are all ocean front. You can't see another building and you have to lean way out to even see another lanai from yours.

It is a condo so you have a full fridge, oven, microwave, blender, toaster, coffee maker and all the pots, pans and dishes you could need. There are 10 floors with maybe 8 units each. They have a pool and next door the Embassy Suites has a few resturaunts.

You could camp in a lounge chair on the Lanai with a view of the sea, Molokai and Lanai and just veg for the whole 3 days.
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 03:23 PM

Heavenly Hana Hotel. No highrises there at all. It's way off the beaten path!
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 03:25 PM
gyppielou

Hana for total seclusion, Aloha Pualani in kihie for something different and more intimate that a highrise hotel. Good luck

Old Feb 7th, 2004, 03:27 PM

Aston Papekea. Beautiful grounds. They are a condo property. Located in Kaanapali area. Papakea is located right on the ocean.We had a 1 bedroom oceanview room. Room has living room, full kitchen & dining area. Nice size lanai with table and chairs. We loved this property and would definietly stay thee again. They even have barbecue grills onsite for guests.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone who responded!
Final question - a bit bratty of me - but I'll try - do you have email addresses for any of these places? Just a question! Thanks again for your help! Regards - DL
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 07:14 AM

The only one I'm familiar with is www.mauikai.com

www.maui-hotels.com is another website with access to lots of resorts and condos.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 09:03 AM

LahainaLuna:

Can I impose and ask how you booked your Maui Kai condo? Is #402 in the rental pool or did you rent directly from the owner?

I am in the planning stages (very early) for Christmas 2004 and I have my eye on the Maui Kai. A studio would be all that we need. Would love to hear your more detailed thoughts on #402 and the Maui Kai itself. I've e-mailed an owner who has a studio on the 10th floor but I haven't heard back from them yet. Somehow I think the 4th floor would be nicer.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 09:08 AM

Go to awaketowaves.com for more info on the MauiKai. Most units have a minimum stay of one week during the Xmas holiday. All the info and rates, if you want to rent directly from an owner, is on this website. We always rent Unit #601 directly from the Maui Kai. Its a one bedroom corner unit.
I like having windows on 3 sides of the unit.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 10:45 AM

Cargogilligan:

Thanks so much for the information. Our intention is to rent a unit for 14 nights.

I will check out the website you mention ASAP.

For a studio I am hoping to get a rate something like US$130 to US$140 a night. Being Canadian the conversion kills us.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 11:25 AM

Maui Kai is 8 or 9 floors, between The Mahana & Embassy so not sure if that qualifies as off beaten track or "non huge", certainly it's quieter than Kaanapali Beach. There's a lot of small low-rise places up in that area, most are reasonably priced and a lot without a/c which won't matter in March IMHO. We've stayed twice at Noelani & liked it, great location for whale watching too. You can see aerial photos at:
http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/mauaerials.html

Good hunting.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 01:27 PM

Check out the Napili area, it is very nice with some reasonable condos. Here's a couple of links I would recommend.
http://www.mauibeachfront.com/napili/bay4.html
http://www.honokeana-cove.com/
Napili beach is one of the nicest on the island, and is not crowded. The Napili condos are beach front and are in the price range you are looking for. Also, one the top spots for breakfast is located at the Napili Shores complex, The Gazebo. We stayed at Napili Bay resort and loved it.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 02:51 PM

I personally think Grand Champions Villas in Wailea is great. The complex consists of mostly 2 story buildings with 6 - 10 units per building - a few building are 3 story. The grounds are beautifully maintained. The pools (2) are never crowded and the one bedroom units are spacious! Wailea is the perfect area to just relax and enjoy the surroundings! Check out www.mauihawaiicondo.com!
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 06:54 PM

Carbogilligan: I agree the corner unit is nice. Especially if you are a family, but since it is just the 2 of us, the studio works great. Although I have had stayed there with 3 friends before.

Boxer: I book directly from the owners. They are a very nice couple and the first time I stayed there they sent me some great information with tips on what to bring, where to shop, etc. Feel free to e-mail me and I'll send you what I know and I'll check with the owners and see if they have any digital photos they can send to you.

I can be reached at hermesthecat then the @ sign and hotmail.com. I know that looks weird but I'm trying to avoid the spider programs that search these message boards for e-mail addresses to send spam to.

Old Feb 18th, 2004, 08:50 PM

Boxer: are your initials RO? I just want to be sure I responded to you.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 06:14 AM

Makena Surf condos in Makena. Quiet and comfortable. Hotel Hana Maui.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 07:40 AM

Lahainaluna:

Hi. My initials? The initials of my first and middle name are J.D. if that is what you mean. I did actually e-mail you from my home thanking you for your information. I don't know if you got it though.

I have now booked 13 nights at the Maui Kai. A studio unit on the 10th floor that has been newly remodelled - of course it won't be "as new" when we get there 10 months from now! 10 months!! What a long time to wait.

I'm very pleased with the rate we received from the owner $125 per night with every 5th night free. With the savings I'm thinking we rent a convertible for our vehicle during our stay. I know ... wear a hat!!

Have you had a Sunday brunch during your stays on Maui? If you have, which hotel do you like the best for brunch? Hyatt, Grand Wailea ... etc. I'm big on a lazy, champagne brunch at least one of the Sundays of our stay.

Thanks for any input you have.