Maui - I've booked for Dec. 5-18/04

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2004, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've booked us (husband and I) a studio condo unit at The Maui Kai for 13 nights Dec. 5-18, 2004. Now begins the anticipation. We've never been to Maui so I'm quite excited. I've had a couple of people tell me it will be very windy. Have any of you who have stayed at The Maui Kai found its position on Kaanapali to be extremely windy? Not that it matters much now ... as we're going and that's that!

I'd love to hear from you if you have stayed at The Maui Kai. I am very pleased with the studio unit I have booked. The interior has just been remodelled and the view (10th fl.) looks fabulous. How is the pool area? Does it get the sun most of the day? Any favourite restaurants nearby? We will have a car of course so can travel.

As our stay will be the two weeks prior to the major Christmas rush, do you think it will be slightly less crowded viz a viz restaurant reservations, etc.?

Thanks in advance for any advice or recommendations.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 12:17 PM

We stayed at the Maui Kai August 2003 and are returning this August. It can be windy at the Maui Kai. But the trade winds are everywhere! I have written about our stay at the Maui Kai. You can do a search to read my report in August 2003. To answer your specific questions, the pool area is small but nice. It only gets sun until late afternoon but its still enjoyable thru the evening. The views from the Maui Kai are awesome.
There are great restaurants with 10 minutes both north and south. One of our favorite beaches was Napili Bay, a short drive north of the Maui Kai. Shopping is convenient, within walking distance. You'll have a great time. Enjoy!
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Carbogilligan:

Thanks for your reply. I did go back and read your review. Most everything I have read on the Maui Kai has been positive. Although somewhere someone wrote that they thought it looked like a dump from the beach as they walked by. Screens hanging from doors, etc. I find that hard to believe. The people I am renting our unit (10th fl.) from have just remodelled and I have seen the pictures and it looks lovely. I suppose the person who saw hanging screens was looking at the ground floor level. Anyway, I am much looking forward to 13 days on Maui in December. BTW our rate was very good ... $125 a night inclusive of taxes PLUS every 5th night free. Can't beat that I don't think.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 11:10 AM

Boxer....I read that post about the hanging screens and I didn't see any in our recent visit. We really loved the MAuiKai and its location so much that we convinced our relatives to vacation with us this coming August. And they are flying from NJ! If anything changes about the place after our visit this summer, I'll be sure to let you know!
Carole
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 07:50 PM

If you have searched, you probably saw my posts as well.

I too read about the hanging screens and do not agree either. I have always found it very tidy. When looking up at the lanais from the beach side the all look different depending on each owner's taste so it looks like it has character and has personality instead of identical cookie cutter lanais like the hotels.

Depending on the time of year, mostly summer months, it can be windy but the wind comes up in the afternoon. It is calm in the morning and as the day progresses you will see white caps form far out and move closer as the day goes on. I always go in the summer and this has been the pattern. I was there once where it was so windy that if you lay on the beach in the late afternoon your body can cause sand drifts. I think if you layed there long enough you would be covered but that was just the one time. We affectionatly refer to them as the "gentle trades". Your lanai is always protected from this though and if you are out by the pool the breeze is welcome.

I agree, the pool is nice and they have a rec room down there with ping pong table and a kitchen with a full sized fridge to keep any snacks or drinks you would like to keep cold. Ther is also a swapping library so bring a couple of boks you have read and pick up a couple of new ones.

You will love it. I will be there 7/18-7/29/04 and I can't wait. Have fun.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Hi Lahainaluna, I'm bouncing all over the place here. I just responded to you on another thread as well. Oh well. Thank you for your information ... it all adds up to making me feel like I've made a good choice. Believe me, I have plenty of paperback books to bring to the lending library!! What a good idea.

I can already taste my Corona's that I will have cooling in the fridge by the pool!!

I'm not worried about the wind ... I was just reiterating what some friends had mentioned to me. If its too windy, we'll just go to another beach ... no biggie. Although I read that in December the tradewinds are about half-strength so how bad could that be?? Some wind is better that no wind in a tropical climate in my book!!