Search

Condo's On Maui

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Condo's On Maui

I am planning a trip in May and found a couple of moderately priced condos that look nice on paper. Does anyone have feedback (good and bad) on any of these properties - both rooms and location? Could you recommend anything else?
1. Mana Kai
2. Mahina Surf
3. Kealia Resort
4. Punahoa Beach Apts.
5. Maui Coast Hotel
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 11:30 AM

I am sure that you will get some good info here, but you should check out the book "Maui Revealed" - it has great reviews of most condos on Maui. They mention a number of mid-priced complexes and give unbiased reviews with detailed info. We definitely take it along when we travel to Maui.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 12:37 PM

I have never stayed at any of these, but I can recommend that you scratch the Kealia Resort. It is in an area that is windy and sometimes has problems with seaweed, which can be fragrant. The Maui Coast is one of my favorite places for happy hour, and the pool seems modestly nice, but it is not on a beach.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Hi Gone2Maui,

Thanks for the info. I am really becoming overwhelmed with the choices, could you recommend any places? Since my post, I looked at the Valley Isle in Kahana. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 07:35 AM

My husband and I stayed for 2 weeks at the Maui Kai in north Kaanapali from Dec. 6-18, 2004. We found it to be perfect for us. Not at all glitzy - pool is small and behind the building but it was close to everything and our particular unit was perfect for two (#1003).

I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again and hope to sometime soon!!
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 07:56 AM

We did Kaanapali Villas in October. Would stay there again!!!
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 08:06 AM

We stayed at the Mana Kai in 1992 and walked through it in late 2003. It's south Kihei near Wailea border. A hybrid-part hotel, part condo. Hotel rooms are much better. Great beach for snorkeling, views, on Keawakapu. Dry weather year round. Next door neighbor, Kihei Surfside, is much better as condo. Great water views and expansive lawn.
Maui Coast is just north. Across street (busy) from good beach, on hill. Managed by Aston, a very good company. I thought there were pricey for the area, but lots of "resort" hotel amenities. Never heard of the others. We prefer the south Maui (Kihei/Wailea) area to the west-drier, smaller, crescent shaped beaches great for snorkeling, swimming (normally, though some rocks are toe hazards). Good variety of shopping and activities in Kihei, a real town, and toney offerings in Wailea, next door, a real well planned community.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 09:05 AM

I've never stayed at any iof these, so I would be hesitant to make any recommendations.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 09:17 AM

I agree with Lex1, Mana kai is beach front as is kihei surfside. Surfside looks a little nicer. The beach there is great,snorkeling, boogie boarding, relaxing on the otherside of Mana kai is the Hale Hui Kai they are all 2bed/2 bath I think , they have the best view of all prices around $200 a night. of the three I would stay there with ocean view. Also very nice is across the street Aston Maui Hill, it is much nicer than the other three, but not on the beach and limited ocean views. Very large condo's beautiful grounds. Don't like maui coast at all except for cocktails, Im not familiar with the others. I don't think you will go wrong with the ones I have mentioned. Aloha
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 09:49 AM

Here's a vote for Kihei Surfside. We stayed there for a week in 2003 and really enjoyed it. If you want a sandy beach you can walk next door and if you want good snorkeling you can go right in front of Surfside. All units have great views and there's a beautiful lawn and pool. Very reasonable prices, we booked through here: http://www.greathawaiivacations.com/...mls/MAI59C.HTM - also check out the photos.
Would not hesitate to stay there again.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 10:03 AM

Mea culpa: I was describing Maui Hill condos above in response to your query about Maui Coast. Maui Hill is run by Aston. Maui Coast is a hotel in Kihei, and, if I remember correctly, is near Cove Park. If so, I'd scratch it off list if good, safe swimming is important. Murky water in the Cove Park are and north. And, Kihei Surfside is oceanfront, but not beach front. Closest beach is next door at Mana Kai.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 10:16 AM

The Maui Coast is actually closest to Charley Young Beach, a great beach between Kam I and Cove Park. But it is not only on the mauka side of S. Kihei Rd, but there are homes and condos in front of it. You need to walk a ways down S. Kihei Rd and then down Ili`ili Rd to get to Charley Young. It is not a "short walk."

The beach itself is a great beach, although we tend to see a disproportionate number of older men in Speedos along this stretch. Not sure why, but it makes for an interesting day at the beach (poke my eyes out now).
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 10:30 AM

Another vote for the excellent Kihei Surfside. I have lots of details in my trip report from July 2003 here: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34436140

We got a one bedroom for $125/nt through CRH Maui. All the units have great views over the lush green lawn to the ocean and neighbor islands. There's a pool by the shoreline and speedy gas barbecues with some picnic tables for a sunset barbecue. A fantastic value and just steps (through the parking lot that the Surfside and the Mana Kai share) to wonderful Keawakapu Beach.

I would also recommend Maui Revealed. At the very least, go to their website to look at aerial photos of all the condos and hotels on the island here: http://wizardpub.com/maui/mauaerials.html The photos can tell you a lot about a property!

Let me know if you have specific questions about it!

love
roxy
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 01:09 PM

Can't speak from personal experience YET, but we are booked at the Mahina Surf starting next week for 10 days, on the recommendation of friends who have stayed there with other friends and family two years running. They absolutely love it.

Apparently you can see the whales migrating (at the appropriate times of year, obviously, which includes now) from the expansive lawn area, the pool is great, and there's a fantastic bbq area that anyone staying there can use to cook up their meal. The bbq area overlooks the beach (rocky, not sandy) and water and is apparently a great sunset spot and hang out spot for meeting others staying there.

Hope that helps; I am really looking forward to checking it out. I just love love love Maui...7 days and counting!!
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 06:39 PM

We stayed at Mana Kai 3 nights last July. There are pitures of our condo room, room 201 at worldisround.com Look for olesouthernbelle and 'Maui trip 7/05'

It was a superb view! We took many beautiful pictures from our lanai...including a Hawaiian wedding.

The condos are NOT airconditioned, although there are sliding glass doors that the wind pummels through when open. Even so, it was HOT at night in July.
The adjacent room was a 'hotel' room and it had A/C, but not the beautiful view. If the reservation had been longer than 3 nights, I would have had to leave!

I have not stayed at the Kihei Resort, but the grassy lawn 'bugged' me somehow...don't know exactly why. Maybe just alittle plain for what I was looking for (if not sand, then lush tropical surroundings).

Lord Balfor has recommended a condo that I observed and thought, although it was across the street from the beach, looked nice! Alas, the name escapes me!

Before Mana Kai, we stayed at Maui Kai (West Maui). And, like the previous poster, we were very satisfied with that condo and the people that ran it!

However, we snorkeled at the beach at Napili Shores and THAT area looked REALLY nice!

Belle
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 06:43 PM

OK, that was NOT my southern accent showing, it was the result of not previewing! The word should have been "pictures", of course!

Belle
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 07:00 PM

I believe Lord Balfor recommended Kamaole Sands!

Belle
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 07:16 PM

We have stayed at Kihei Surfside in 2003 and again last month. Check out this website - www.kiheisurfsideresort.com this should help you.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 10:22 PM

OldSouthernBelle -

Yes it was Kamaole Sands. The complex grounds were beautiful and the location terrific - though it WAS across the street from the beach (Kamaole 3 Beach). It seems a lot folks that have stayed at Kamaole Sands and some of the other nearby complexes in South Kihei tend to rate the other places higher - but I have no complaints at all. As I said, the grounds and location were great and the price was terrific ($99/night last May - through VRBO.COM). It seems that most people that rate Kamaole Sand low were folks who ended up in a unit that needed refurbishment. Fortunately the unit we stayed in has been recently re-done and subsequently was in great shape. Nice grounds, refurbished unit, good location, great price - we were happy ...and I would stay there again.

Ken
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 08:03 AM

Check out the nice condos at wee.aliiresorts.com. They represent units in many of the Kihei complexes that are in your price range. Lots of photos of each one on the website. They have high standards for their condos. Unlike renting through Castle or Outrigger, you know exactly which unit you are getting. I've reserved a lovely 2 bedroom at Kamaole Sands for my June trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -