Maui Kai or Lahaina Shores?

Feb 3rd, 2006, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Maui Kai or Lahaina Shores?

We are on a budget for our trip to Maui. I have been looking for condo rentals on www.VRBO.com and have narrowed my search down to two different properties - either Maui Kai condos or the Lahaina Shores. Does anyone have any experiences with either of these? Thanks for any opinions. I appreciate it.

Footsox
Feb 3rd, 2006, 11:42 AM

My family stayed at Lahaina Shores a couple years ago for a family reunion (we had 5 different rooms between us). It suited us very nicely. Nothing fancy but walking distance to Lahaina, and I really liked the pool and backyard area and small beach behind. Some rooms were decorated nicer than others since they are different owners.

That said, I've been contradicted in my good opinion before here on Fodor's with people who insisted it was a "dump".
Feb 3rd, 2006, 01:01 PM

We stayed at the Maui Kai this past Dec for a week. We liked it very much. Great location, and all rooms are oceanfront. We had a 1-BDR unit with a large kitchen. The furnishings were comfortable, nothing fancy. The lanai was nice, with room for a table and chairs. There is a nice pool and hot tub, and also an area with a couple of gas grills for cookouts. The pool building has free internet access. You're within a few minutes walk or drive to great snorkeling beaches. There are several restaurants nearby. Our favorite was
Okazuya Deli, in the Honokowai shopping center nearby. The deli has wonderful take-out; everything from burgers to delicious fish entrees.
Feb 3rd, 2006, 02:37 PM

In December 2004 my husband and I rented a studio unit at the Maui Kai tbrough VRBO. We were very happy with our unit (1003). I believe our rate was US$125 per night (inclusive of taxes). I felt we got a great deal. The Maui Kai is definitely not the Ritz but I liked it for that very reason.

I realize the units vary depending on the owner ... but ours was nice when we went in 2004 and I understand from the webpage it has been updated yet again.

If I go back to Maui I would very likely stay there again.
Feb 3rd, 2006, 06:16 PM

Lahaina Shores isn't exactly a dump but it is not even close to Maui Kai.
Feb 4th, 2006, 10:31 AM

Is Maui Kai walking distance to town in Lahaina? Or you would need a rental car?
Feb 4th, 2006, 07:51 PM

Maui Kai is four miles or so north of Lahaina - it's about a mile north of Kaanapali resort area, right next door to Embassy Resort if that helps.
We only needed a studio, rented from owner paradiseinmaui dot com and we're booked to return this year
Feb 5th, 2006, 06:41 AM

We stayed at Lahaina Shores and liked it very much. We had an ocean front room and it had stunning views. Plus it is walking distance to everything close in Lahaina. We paid like $99 a night. Which was great for our budget because we also got mauid there!
Feb 5th, 2006, 09:58 AM

thanks pspercy. Because I wouldn't have a rental car, the Lahaina Shores location works.

Previous trip while traveling in a family reunion group (9 people) it meant we could each go off and do their own thing, on foot, so gave us independence within the group.

Feb 5th, 2006, 01:48 PM

We did Maui Kai 1 BR #208 last July and can't say enough nice things about it! It is not 'new' but we asked for a newly reburbished room and it was perfect for us!

Belle