Maui Question

Old May 7th, 2008, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maui Question

We have decided to visit Maui on our next trip to Paradise. We will be spending the first week there and then moving to our time share in Waikiki for the second week. On our first visit to Maui, we stayed upcountry in Makawao. We have been looking at the VRBO rentals in Kahana and there are some nice looking choices. We have never been further up the west coast of Maui than Lahaina. Any thoughts on Kahana?
Old May 7th, 2008, 08:34 AM

When we were in Maui a couple of years ago, staying VRBO just south of Lahina, we toured the whole island and thought Kahana would have been the best overall location for us. Nice beaches, lots of trees, low-rise condos, not too busy. Wailea was beautiful, but a bit too high end, Kihei was a bit to busy/noisy and Kaanapali was a highrise packed-in tourist hell.
Old May 7th, 2008, 09:06 AM

We stayed in Kahana on our first visit to Maui many s ago. It was great for whale watching in the winter months, affordable, quiet, safe, however we thought the beaches were on the small side and suggest you consider just north of Kahana, namely the Napili Bay area.
Old May 7th, 2008, 11:06 AM

I'd stay in Kahana if you found nice accomodations. It isn't as hot and dry as Lahaina. It can get rainy in the winter months.
Old May 7th, 2008, 03:01 PM

Kahana and north are my favorite areas of Maui for vacationing. Especially as you're heading to Waikiki, you'll have enough crowds. Kahana is fine if you don't mind driving to a beach. We did it and it was ok. That being said, it's so much nicer to be able to walk to a really great beach. I second the opinion for Napili. There are plenty of rental options there, and the beach is fantastic.
Old May 7th, 2008, 08:07 PM

Kahana is really nice but Napili is the best and has rentals to suit every budget. We've just come back from spending 12 days there.
Old May 7th, 2008, 08:27 PM

Another nod for Kahana, Napili is also nice, but I have not stayed in Napili.

The Kahana condo I used to use went vacation time share a few years ago and is too hard to arrange now. This Sept I will be staying just up the road towards Kaanapali and Lahaina at the Resort Quest Mahana. (Lots of VRBO rentals there)

Regarding west Maui ... I love love love driving on a beauiful afternoon in the west Maui mountains. Also check out Fletcher State Beach and of course Kapalua.

Old May 7th, 2008, 10:14 PM

Don't know your budget but we've stayed twice at Maui Kai (between Mahana and Embassy). This is a Studio unit (with a/c) and we rented directly from the owner: www.paradiseinmaui.com

Mahana is good too (has a/c), we've also happily stayed (very recently) at Polynesian Shores (no a/c).
www.polynesianshores.com

You can get a feel for the lay of the land at:
http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/mauwestmap.html
Click on property of interest.

Good hunting