Notices

Maui condo: Maui Sunset or Hale Hui Kai?

Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maui condo: Maui Sunset or Hale Hui Kai?

We're trying to decide which condo to stay in this January. Maui Sunset has AC and Hale Hui Kai does not but HHK has a beautiful sandy beach and I heard Maui Sunset's isn't so great. Any ideas? Prices are fairly similar. We have 3 teens who all love to swim in the ocean so wanted to be near a swimmable beach.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 03:36 PM

Sunset is great for views, but very rocky (a walk to the sandy beaches). don't forget to explore all the beaches down that part of the coast!
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 06:42 PM

I will be staying at Hale Hui Kai for the 4th time this February. The prime beachfront location is what keeps drawing me back. If you were going in summer or early fall I would definitely recommend A/C. I've never needed it in the Jan-April time frame, though. In my opinion, So. Kihei is far superior to No. Kihei. The beach is not swimmable at Maui Sunset so you would need to drive for ocean swimming. Another reasonably priced condo complex I like in So. Kihei is Kamaole Nalu. I'm lucky to have TWO trips to Maui in 2007, and will be staying at Kamaole Nalu in May. It is on Kam II beach, which is another perfect swimming beach. One advantage over Hale Hui Kai is that there are washer/dryers in each unit. Lanais are larger; kitchens are smaller. It is also right across the street from some nice shops and places to eat. You can view units at www.kamaolenalu.com
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 06:42 AM

We were just there in August, and Maui Sunset's beach is not swimmable. In fact, it was stinky as there is a lot of seaweed that gets washed up there and they just plow the beach, piling it up at one end. Luckily we couldn't smell it from our condo.

We really like Kihei Surfside, which is south Kihei. Great views of west Maui from each condo, you can snorkel in front of the property, but walk next door to a great swimmable beach. Kihei Surfside is the curved building in this photo, facing west Maui, then you can see in the upper right hand corner where you can reach the beach.
http://www.condoinmaui.com/images/condo2.jpg
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

The Kihei Surfside looks great but from what I've read, it looks like all units have a max of 4 and we have 5 people. Thanks for the responses. I will probably be going with Kamaole Nalu or Hale Hui Kai. When I listed priorities, I found the beach was the most important factor.
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 11:23 AM

fyi, 2BR/2B also, googled and here's one I found -
http://tinyurl.com/yzrfc7
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

cruisin_tiger:

It does say on that link there is a 4 person max. Is that not the case?
Old Nov 5th, 2006, 01:58 AM

The Kihei Surfside has 2 bedroom units that easily accomodate 5. Keawakapu Beach next door is great for swimming, snorkeling. In fact, lava outcroppings at Surfside afford fabulous snorkeling when waters are calm, though access can be problem. Don't believe it's air conditioned, but I doubt you'd need it. The sea breezes normally suffice to keep things cool.
Old Nov 5th, 2006, 03:58 AM

Keawakapu Beach is directly in front of Hale Hui Kai (a few short steps), but from Kihei Surfside you have to walk around the Mana Kai complex next door to access the beach. Surfside does have a large, lovely lawn area, though, and more units with direct ocean views.
Most units are 1 bedroom, but there are
some 2 bedroom units. As I recall, HHK does not have BBQ facilities...just in case that is a consideration. Kamaole Nalu has a couple of very nice gas BBQ's right by the ocean. Any of these complexes would be a great choice for your family, and all are pretty reasonably priced considering the prime oceanfront locations.