Notices

Maui Experts - Please Advice needed

Old Apr 25th, 2003, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maui Experts - Please Advice needed

I have been researching all day (I am still in my PJ's) I have read and researched now the questions:

I have decided on based mostly what I have read here on 4S Wailea Ocean View Prime with Bed and Breakfast package. I decided on this resort because I think it is the smaller, more intimate of the Maui resorts. We decided to cancel our Anguilla/Cap Juluca vacation for this one since we were just there last year. We like the smaller, quieter luxury hotels so I hope I am making the right choice. Is this a good choice or am I missing something? I first looked at the Grand Wailea, but changed my mind after I read many posts regarding the Disney/Vegas atmosphere. Also about a car - we will be renting a jeep, but should we get it at the airport and drive to the resort or can we have one delivered to us the next day? And is $3000.00 enough spending money for lunches, excursions and dinners? What is the ave cost for dinner? We will be going November 9-17 2003. Thank you for any input you can give me - its our first time to Maui and I could use a little help.
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 12:58 PM

Recently returned from honeymoon at the 4S. We loved it and it definitely qualifies as a "smaller, quieter luxury hotel". You won't be disappointed.

With regards to how much everything costs, it completely depends on what you're looking for and what you're willing to spend. You could spend $25 on dinner or you can spend $125 (or more). If you want to eat nice, Maui is very expensive.

As far as activities and excursions, they could cost nothing or next to nothing such as the Road to Hana, trip up to Haleakala, hiking, snorkeling, relaxing on beach, etc.

But other activities cost money such as snorkeling tours, helicopter tours, bike trips, whalewatching trips, etc.
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much Doug, I have been going crazy with reading everything. Would you mind giving me a short trip report? Also do you recommend renting a car at the airport or can we use a transfer to the 4S and have a rental car delivered to us there?
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 04:44 PM

First of all, if you haven't already, get the book Maui Revealed or another guide. Good choice in 4S for Nov honeymoon. Soap box moment: there's not too much to complain about re the top tier hotels in Maui but some people rant when spending that kind of money so bear that in mind as you peruse this forum. Instead of spending all 8 or 9 nights at the 4S, you might want to consider 1 or 2 nights around Hana if you want to take your time exploring the lush side of Maui. Lackluster town but convenient to all the wonderful spots in that area.

To answer some of your questions: renting a car at the airport is very simple and so is the drive. Depending on the weather, I would recommend a convertible over a jeep just because there are not many rough spots on Maui where a 4x4 helps.

As to spending money, I think you have a very generous amount in mind. Here's my answer to a previously submitted question:

$300 a day seems fairly high but it may be appropriate or even low if you're striving for the "dream" vacation. If you go to Maui primarily to see all the wonderful sights, relax at the beaches and add a bit of snorkeling, all you would need is a rental car and some beach/snorkel gear which should total approx. $50 per day. Then you could have some fabulous dinners at places like Mama's, Gerard's, Nick's, etc. averaging $120 without alcohol.

But if you want to spring for paid excursions of which there's a hundred of, such as a helicopter ride, golf, kayaking, Haleakala bike ride, Molokini or Lanai snorkel trip, then you're looking at $85 per person or more for each activity.

My advice is to gleen from this forum and guidebooks like Maui Revealed to determine which activities are a "must do" for you and break it up by siteseeing one day and paid excursion the next. That way, you'd come close to averaging $300 a day or less. Have fun planning!
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 07:31 PM

SandyFeet:
If you've never been to Hawaii, but are familiar with Cap Juluca, here is the brass tacks comparo:
Relative to the FS Maui, CJ is much quieter and more exclusive feeling, but less luxurious. The beaches on Maui (in fact, true of ALL the beaches in Hawaii) can't hold a candle to Maunday's Bay, so be prepared for this.
Of course Anguilla is a pretty homely looking island, and most of Maui is beautifully lush with the beautiful Mt Haleakala in the center. The area around the FS isn't quite as lush as other parts of the island because it's the driest part of the island--but that means great weather. Not hot/hot like Anguilla. Pleasantly warm with breezes most of the time.
Food: MUCH less expensive on Maui than Anguilla, with much greater variety and range of prices--including fast food of course. Proprtionally there are more good restaurants on Anguilla, but overall, Maui is still superior for variety and value.
Plenty more to see and do on Maui than Anguilla.
CJ is a magical place because it's so peaceful, serene and beautiful. And Anguilla is so safe, with such friendly people.
Maui is (surprise) much more like the continental US. That has its pros and cons.
Maui is a great vacation destination.
The FS is the best resort on the island for adults who appreciate well run hotels. But there are things about Cap Juluca which are unmatched in all of Hawaii.
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 08:13 PM

Get the Jeep at the airport. It's easy to do. You won't get lost.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 02:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much..Believe it or not but the 4S Maui and CJ vacation are right around the same price including 1st class rt air. I love CJ for all the reasons stated but having just been there last year, I thought we should try something new. I have to say one thing, the roll out of your bed onto that beautiful beach at CJ is spectacular. I still have not given up my reservation.......its a hard thing to do!
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 05:30 AM

As far as renting a jeep , you will be riding a lot, seeing all the sites, and going to your activities,so a comfortable ride can be desired,and the places that a 4 wheel drive might be needed are probally a little dangerous to be driving in anyway.A stuck car waiting for a tow truck is not anyones idea of vacation.300 a day is plenty, you will be going on snorkle trips and sun set dinner cruises, that include your meals.
Road to hana convertable, it is a long trip so comfort is a must, but the trip is a wonderfull experience for most( bring 2-3 meals- very little food on the road). Get a activity booking agent ,i used activity warehouse-they have a 1-800 number and web site, and pick your activities. Have fun, maui is great, i am going back next year. nick
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

I have heard that at the Concierge Club level at the 4S ( which we booked) will plan all excursions for you - you just have to tell them what you want to do and they will take care of it for you. We will be getting a car/convertible - thanks for the non-jeep rental advice! We have always been Caribbean travellers - so this is a big step for us But as always, this forum is so honest and informative and everyone is so heplful. There is no better advice than the people that have experienced it!

Thanks for the info - it seems the more reading/research you do the more confused you get!
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 05:36 PM

Hi SandyFeet,
My husband and I are booked at both Hawaii Four Seasons in early 2004. Obviously, I agree with your choice of hotels! One thing you should make sure you understand, though....

I spoke to the people at the Four Seasons Maui about the type of room we booked - we ended up with Ocean View Prime which you mentioned in your earlier post. If in fact you have changed your reservation to a Concierge Level room, you should know that these are Ocean View only. If you think of the hotel as U-shaped with the ocean at the top of the U, the concierge rooms are at the bottom curve of the U facing the pool and ocean (Ocean View) and the Ocean View Prime rooms are at the two top peaks of the U closest to the water along with many of the resort's suites. These rooms do not look over the pool as others do. So you will unfortunately have to choose between the concierge level and the better view. We opted for the better view since the main concierge downstairs will be able to book our accomodations just as well as the one on the top floor.

Hope this helps with your decision.
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the info Ericka, as I questioned that myself. I decided to go with the Club Level, as I just became a TA almost a year ago. I told them at Classic Custom vacations (I booked our trip thru them) to note in the reservation that I am a TA - they don't have to know I don't have 10 years of experience under my belt this way I will not get screwed on the room view. My husband loves the special attention and the added club level. Since we always stay on a concierge level - he has become quite spoiled --- my fault LOL!

I was also thinking of adding a day, we are not going to another Island only Maui. Since we lose 2 full days travelling I would like to make it a 10 day vacation instead of 9, this way we will have 8 full days on Maui. Do you think it's necessary? How is the weather/winds in early to mid November? There is so much I don't know, I'm basing it on advice and research from this board. I also ordered books, which everyone has so nicely recommended, should be here tomorrow!

Thanks again for everyone's help
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 05:00 AM

Extra day in Maui
...necessary? no
...recommended? absolutely

We were there for 5 days and wished we had 5 more!

Also something to consider: since you have so much time on the island, might I suggest spending a nite in Hana. The Road to Hana is a beautiful journey with many wonderful stops along the way (as you'll read in Maui Revealed). You won't be able to do everything in a day, even if you leave at dawn (trust me, we tried). And what happens is that as you see the time passing, you start rushing through things and missing out.

Hana itself is nothing to scream about but staying a nite allows you to break the trip into two. First of all you won't have to wake up at 6 in the morning in your attempt to squeeze everything in. Leave at 9-10 o'clock and do the 1st half to Hana at a leisurely pace. Stay over and head out the next day and do the Seven Sacred Pools et al and the backside drive of Haleakala, getting back to Wailea in the late afternoon.

We didn't do this because we only had 5 days on the island but if we had as much time as you do, we definitely would have.