Mahalo Maui -- March 2006 Trip Report

Old Mar 19th, 2006, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mahalo Maui -- March 2006 Trip Report

We just returned from a wonderful week in Maui. This was our first trip to Hawaii, and our first foray into tropical adventures – we are diehard European travelers, so this was a very different vacation for us.

Our trip was from March 10 - March 17, and we split our time between South Kihei (4 nights) and the North Shore (3 nights).

While I will post more general observations/notes later, I thought I would focus on THE BEST parts of our trip first.

Best Travel Guide: Maui Revealed

Best Airfare Deal: Delta – roundtrip from Washington DC to Maui for $475 including taxes. Thank you, system glitch!

Best Lodging: The Cliff’s Edge, specifically the Bali Cottage. Sheer cliff, sheer paradise. www.cliffsedge.com

Best Coffee: Maui Coffee Roasters

Best Breakfast: Sunday brunch at Maui Prince Hotel (Prince Court). Approximately $45 per person – bottomless champagne and huge spread of tasty delights.

Best Lunch: Mama’s Fish House. Get the opakapaka if they have it available. We had it upcountry style and it was superb.

Best Dinner: Tied between Spago’s at the Four Seasons and the grilled ono we made on our deck at the Cliffs Edge.

Top 3 Road to Hana: Banana Bread (Halfway to Hana House), Nahiku Village Park, and Waianapanapa Park.

Best Snorkeling: Beach at Napili Bay hotel. Excellent entry for beginners and plentiful reef system. (Note: Did not get to snorkel in La Perouse Bay due to bad weather – I think that would have been the best.)
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 11:09 AM
trippinkpj

Thank-you for sharing. The Cliff's Edge looks fantastic!

Old Mar 19th, 2006, 12:43 PM

Oh, that cottage (and VIEW) looks lovely! Can't wait to read your full trip report...
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

LODGING

Kihei Surfside, #604
We booked this 1 bedroom/1.5 bath unit through Maui Vacation Rentals based on the website below. We were overall pleased with the condo and its location and would recommend it to folks searching for similar lodging. We stayed here 4 nights.

http://www.maui-vacation-rentals.com...ies/ks604.html

**Pros**
Excellent view
• Short (2 minute) walk to Keawakapu Beach
• Top floor unit; relatively quiet
• Walk to dining at Five Palms and Sarento’s on the Beach
• Excellent proximity to dining and shopping in Wailea
• Nicely stocked kitchen with dishwasher
• Comfy balcony furniture (new since website picture); balconies have privacy walls
• Golf course-like lawn for croquet, putting, and lounging
• Pool

**Cons**
• Towels smelled like mildew
• Bathroom was a little dirty upon arrival (albeit I am a clean freak)
• No air conditioning; not very good air movement through unit (and you have to leave windows/doors closed when you leave)
• Bedroom located on front of building overlooking parking lot; some noise in the a.m. (but if your bedroom is located on back side of building, you may experience lawn mowing noise)
• Plain interior with too much furniture (there was a papasan chair in the middle of the living room – very odd)

Kihei Surfside, #614
Okay, so we didn’t technically stay in this unit, but my parents did for one week. They roughed it in Maalaea area for one week) then moved to this more spacious, fancier condo unit. This was a 2BR/2BA unit that was gorgeous.

http://www.maui-vacation-rentals.com...ies/ks614.html

**Pros**
• Same short walk to beach and restaurants
• BEAUTIFULLY decorated – granite everywhere (every counter and sink, plus tiles in floor)
• Washer/Dryer (huge plus)
• Giant balcony
• Very spacious

**Cons**
• Bedroom overlooking lawn; some lawn noise
• A bit expensive for only 2 people (they were spoiling themselves)
• Not as good of a view as unit #604 – not full view of ocean; partial view of road (plus road noise)
• No air conditioning

The Cliff’s Edge
Wow. Talk about saving the best for last. We moved here our last 3 nights. The North Shore of Maui was what I wanted the rest of Maui to look like – lush, green, and jaw-dropping views. We booked the Bali Cottage at the Cliff’s Edge based on reviews at TripAdvisor.

www.thecliffsedge.com

**Pros**
• HUGE. Normally website pictures make units look bigger. Not so in the case of the Bali Cottage. It was huge in person – probably near 900 square feet.
• Gigantic private deck with table/chairs, loungers, hot tub, outdoor shower, grill, and waterfall
• Gorgeous interior design and accessories – I could live here
• Lucy the mutt
• The View
• Close to Paia and Haiku – good eats at Paia Fish Market, The General Store, Mama’s, and other local spots
• The View
• Excellent for early starts on Road to Hana
• The View
• Ultra private; ultra romantic
• The View

**Cons**
• None

I really trust Fodors and TripAdvisor for helping me choose lodging, and I took a chance with Cliff’s Edge since I couldn’t find much about it. I was so thrilled I took the gamble – staying at the Bali Cottage was the highlight of our trip and the most enjoyable/relaxing three nights on Maui. Nothing beat grilling Ono on our deck, drinking pina coladas, and whale searching from our loungers. Sheer paradise.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 04:04 PM

Hi. We are debating staying at the cliffsedge, but we have a friend who said that area doesn't have much to do and is very secluded. Any idea how far it is from Wailea if we wanted to do a day trip? It looks amazing, and I would love to stay there. Thanks!
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 07:37 PM

Twilo: We stayed in Huelo for 3 nights a couple years ago...not Cliff's Edge, but a beautiful property with very nice cottages in a garden setting with a lovely pool. The location is not for everyone; we didn't like being quite so isolated. We enjoy staying in non-touristy areas, such as Upcountry Maui, but this setting was just too inconvenient for us. It was fine the day we drove to Hana. Otherwise, it was a 35-40 minute drive into Paia, the nearest town, to go to a restaurant or shop. It was even farther to a swimmable beach. Although there was a pool, I missed the sand and sea. If you are looking for privacy, total peace, and quiet then you might love the area. Just be aware of your own preferences. On our list, there are very definite "cons" that would keep us from ever returning to Huelo for lodging.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 03:31 AM

Thanks so much for the response. I have a feeling it may be too isolated for our first trip to Hawaii. Thanks again!
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

I actually loved the location. It was a perfect complement to our first 4 nights in Wailea. I would highly recommend experiencing both areas.

The Cliff's Edge is 13.5 mile from the traffic light intersection in Paia.

Here's how we spend our 4 days/3 nights at Cliff's Edge:

Day 1 -- Check in after having lunch in Paia (Cafe Mambo) and picking up items to grill for dinner at Mana Foods
Day 2 -- Road to Hana; cocktails and appetizers at Mama's, dinner at the General Store
Day 3 -- Hit road early for breakfast at Maui Roasters (bagle and coffee) then drove to Kanaapali area for snorkeling. Lunch in Paia (Paia Fish Market), picked up items for dinner at home. Parents came to envy our place, so we had dinner and drinks on our deck.
Day 4 -- Leisurely champagne breakfast on our deck and packed. Lunch at Mama's. Goofed off before heading to airport.

We would return to the Cliffs Edge in a second...it was a destination in itself. Our goal for staying in that area was to enjoy jaw-dropping views and RELAX and we more than accomplished it.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

One more note regarding location. If you look at a map, the turnoff for Cliff's Edge is between mile markers 13 and 14 (right before Road to Hana gets really twisty). It's about 1.2 miles from the turnoff to the Cliff's Edge...it seems a little longer because you have to go slow.
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 03:34 PM

Thanks Beanweb24!!
We are trying to figure out splitting up our time between Wailea and Hana, but we may lose out on the great car rental deal. DId you rent one car fro your whole time in Maui? If so, mind sharing the price? THANKS AGAIN! We have cliffsedge on hold (Bali Cottage), and I really hope it works out and makes sense financially.
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 03:37 PM

Sorry, one more question!
What month did you go? Is it true that it wasn't as warm on that side of the island? In other words, did you get to take advantage of that stunning deck and BBQ? Thanks so much.
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Hi --

Our trip was 3/10-17, so very recent. Our convertible rental from Hertz the whole week was $335. I cannot imagine being on Maui without a car - I highly recommend you reserve one for the whole time!

The weather was regularly changing from overcast to sunny. But even when it was overcast, we used the deck every second we were there. The North Shore is definitely breezier and cooler than the south shore, so I was very happy that I had brought my track pants/jacket for lounging around at the Cliffs Edge.

Just remember that the Cliffs Edge is a destination...not the sort of place you want to leave 2 or 3 times a day due to the bumpy 1 mile road leading to it. But we were looking for romantic, quiet, and gorgeous, and we were amply rewarded.

Have fun!
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

One more note:

At Cliff's Edge, we saw the innkeeper at check-in and check-out, so it was a very self-service type of atmosphere. This also means that they do not serve breakfast, so be sure to get groceries before you head there to check-in. Mana Foods in Paia is great.

FYI...champagne mimosas complement the view fabulously.