Search

Luxury beachfront hotel in the Hamptons

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2009, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Luxury beachfront hotel in the Hamptons

Hello,

We will be visiting Long Island from Europe in late June - early July, and we are looking to spend a week in the Hamptons. I know from previous visits that most (if not all?) properties in the Hamptons (incl Montauk, Sag Harbor, etc) are historic B&B's or low-key/end motels ... so I was wondering if anybody knows of (and can actually recommend) a FULL SERVICE HOTEL property that's contemporary/refurbished, on the beach, with pool, etc (along the lines of perhaps South Beach, if such thing ever existed in the Hamptons). Price is really not an issue, as long as the property is worth it.

Many thanks for the input!
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 07:09 AM

The only place I can think of that's right on the beach is Gurney's. They're a full service hotel/spa on the beach a little west of the town of Montauk. Most hotels in the Hamptons are off the beach as it is mostly residential.

They remodeled Gurney's a few years ago, haven't been there personally since, but it was always one of the best places to stay.
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 08:07 AM

Gurney's calls itself an Inn - but bills itself as a resort, spa and conference center. I'm not aware of anyplace else on the Hamptons directly on the beach - except for some condo colonies (not luxury and not hotel services) in Amangansett.
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 06:31 PM

As a local resident I can tell you that there are no ocean front hotels like those you would find in FL. The Hamptons are protected by very strict laws regarding building tall buildings and because of out watershed you would not find a pool in the wetlands. Most “fancy” people strive for privacy out east so they usually rent a home (Estate/ Compound) with very tall shrubs down long private drives so there is no need for full service high rise hotels. The American Hotel in Sag Harbor is a full service hotel (yet small) where many celebrities stay while in town. Gurney’s in Montauk is also very secluded with private beach villas available but it is a spa and Montauk is a very sleepy fishing town filled with colorful local characters, wonderful for quiet relaxing, not a Miami beach scene at all.
Old May 1st, 2009, 05:22 AM

Just confirming what Gail says. The only thing close to what you want (but I don't recommend it) is the Westhampton Bath & Tennis Club. http://www.bathandtennis.com/

There are some beautiful inns in East Hampton that have lovely rooms and grounds, but they're not on the water. Baker House and 1770 House are in the village (so a bike ride to the beach) and East Hampton Point is up on the bay at a marina.

Several of the motels in Montauk on the water have been refurbished and turned into condos that you might be able to rent.

emcash stayed at East Hampton Point last summer and liked it very much. Here's her report. http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...rip-report.cfm

I think Baker House is just lovely. It's like staying at a wealthy friend's estate. http://www.bakerhouse1650.com/index2.htm