Reload this Page >

The Winds Resort, Ocean Isle

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2002, 05:06 AM
jenna

Has anyone stayed at the Winds Oceanfront Inn and Suites in Ocean Isle, NC? Please tell all if you have. Thanks!

Old May 1st, 2002, 05:17 AM
nina

Jenna I haven't stayed there, but last year when we were in the area we made the effort to check it out since it looked so nice on the website. I'm glad we did. All I can say is the photo's on the website are VERY flattering. It is in a very populated, residential neighborhood and not particularly nice.

The units are almost on top of the road, very little property, and the pool is quite small. The beach is nice enough, but it just wasn't as nice as I was expecting.

Old May 1st, 2002, 09:19 AM
chuck

jenna,

it's amazing how two people can look at the same place and get a totally different picture.

My wife & I stayed there about 5 years ago (so factor in the possibility of some changes). I loved it; my wife liked it.

It is a somewhat rustic, funky little hotel. If they are advertising it as 4-star on the website, then that would be wrong. But it has an unusually large & nice deck & natural area on the ocean side.

I am not sure what to make about nina's comment that it is in a very populated residential area. My impression is that it blends into a beach community that is mostly cottages and a few low-rise condos. And in comparison to where I live (North Myrtle Beach), I would hesitate to call any spot on Ocean Isle very populated.

Ocean Isle is not a place where you're going to find anything close to world-class luxury. But the beach is very nice (in most places, and with actual sand-dunes). It's pristine enough that sea turtles still come onto the beach to lay eggs.

It is simply a low-key, middle-class beach that is relatively unspoiled and where you can sample what a typical (for NC anyway) beach vacation used to be 20 years ago.

I definitely agree with nina that if you're looking for a resort, look elsewhere. I don't mean to sound defensive, but I guess I am a little defensive about the mom & pop style hotels that I so fondly remember from beach vacations as a kid.

Old May 1st, 2002, 09:26 AM
nina

Chuck I think you summed it up accurately, and there wasn't anything necessarily wrong with it. It's just that it isn't at all what I imagined it would be from the website. I like low key too, but I think I objected to the houses all seemingly on top of one another in the area and the total absence of any charm or architectural detail.

When we rent a beach house in Nantucket, which we do every year, they are small casual and very low key, but they aren't on top of one another and just have more, well, more charm. I think that's what I was expecting and was disappointed when it was different.

Old May 1st, 2002, 09:28 AM
jenna

Thank you both for responding. So then, where is the best place to stay other than Wrightsville Beach with three children for a week. I need to be close to Wilmington. thanks

Old May 1st, 2002, 09:39 AM
nina

It's still probably the best place to stay in that area. I just wouldn't choose it as a destination, but if you're there anyway, it's a great beach and the kids will love it.

Old May 1st, 2002, 05:05 PM

to the top

Old May 2nd, 2002, 06:21 AM
chuck

nina,

interesting thoughts about architecture. I've never been to Nantucket, so I can only imagine. But you're definitely correct that architecture has generally not been a concern for beach accomodations on the NC/SC coast. One execption to that rule might be Pawley's Island, a good 20 miles or so south of MB. We drove around there a few months ago and were impressed by the fact that some thought went into the design and construction of some of the beautiful houses there.

jenna,

personally I prefer Ocean Isle over Wrightsville Beach (not to knock Wrightsville, it's fine). You could also consider:

Bald Head Island (reachable only be a short boat ride)--supposed to be upscale. I haven't visited it since it was developed (my visits were by boat as a kid when it was still uninhabited).

Carolina Beach
Kure Beach
Sunset Beach (probably the best in the area, but mostly houses & cottages)
Or possibly go north to Topsail.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 07:04 AM
nina

Thanks Chuck. We'll be down that way in August and have never visited Pawley's Isle. I will definitely make it a point to go there this year.

I also have a brochure for Bald Head Island and it looks beautiful. The architecture is actually similar to that of Nantucket. I'd like to rent a house there someday if I can tear my husband away from Nantucket one year!

Old May 2nd, 2002, 02:09 PM
jenna

Thanks, Chuck

I am always concerned though when a place is described as upscale. I grew up near the Jersey Shore and some of our beach communities are considered "upscale" but that translates into "segregated". I know the Jersey shore is no comparison to the beaches of the south. I am also now wondering how we will be received there.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 06:31 PM

Old May 7th, 2002, 05:24 AM
chuck

jenna,

I appreciate your apprehensiveness. I did not grow up in an *upscale* community, so there are places where I have felt uncomfortable. However, I doubt whether any of the places I mentioned in my previous post would cause you concern, for several reasons.

First, these are mostly tourist/resort areas. The majority of the popluation in the rental season are visitors--and particularly, visitors from all over. Also, tourism is the lifeblood of these areas--very few locals are going to do anything to spoil your vacation.

Second, southerners are trained (some more successfully than others) to at least be courteous. And I think you'll find that the places I mentioned are generally hospitable.

Third, the South Carolina coast is becoming more complicated and integrated due to the influx of folks from other parts of the country, particularly the Northeast. Obviously, that creates some clash-of-culture friction. But I think the overall effect has been a broadening of horizons and increased acceptance of differences.

Now don't get me wrong--I'm not saying these areas are some multi-cultural utpopia. But the changes are happening.

Short answer to your question (after I've made you wade through all this!)--I think you will feel welcome. Come on down!

Old May 7th, 2002, 02:36 PM
jenna

Chuck,

Thanks! If anyone asks, I'll tell them I was invited by Chuck.

Jenna

Old May 8th, 2002, 10:00 AM
chuck

jenna,

that should get you in all the wrong--I mean best places.

Have fun!