Lowenstein-Long House, Memphis

Old Mar 25th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lowenstein-Long House, Memphis

Hi everyone.

I'm planning a trip to Memphis for dissertation research sometime in May, and having a hard time finding affordable (less than $100/night) and comfortable accomodations. (I'm guessing that's because of Memphis in May--which seems odd because as a native Memphian I don't remember that being that much of a tourist draw, except for the barbecue festival.)

Anyway, I've seen the Lowenstein-Long House in Victorian Village as an option on a few sites (I didn't even know it offered lodging--I always thought it was just a museum), but I can't tell what kind of lodging it offers--some sites describe it as a bed and breakfast, others describe it as a youth hostel. Can anyone offer enlightenment? Personal experiences and other suggestions would also be most welcome.

Thanks!
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 11:02 AM

I don't know anything about the Lowenstein-Long House but go to Memphis frequently for weekend trips and always use priceline.com to get a room. I've gotten great rates in the East Memphis area several times, staying at the Doubletree or Hilton. In the past, I've also gotten good rates in the Germantown area and downtown Memphis but haven't tried either location lately. When I say great rates, I mean somewhere between $50-60, usually. Memphis in May seems to be a really big deal now and it usually is hard to get a decent hotel rate during that particular time.

If you're interested in trying priceline and don't know a lot about it, you should check out biddingfortravel.com and betterbidding.com. Both sites offer information and help on using priceline and you'll be able to see what the recent hotels and bids have been for Memphis. Good luck!
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Lee4. This is very helpful. $50-60 would be great. Have you been able to get a similar rate in May? How far in advance do you usually bid?

I'm glad to hear you've been happy with the hotels you got through Priceline--I've used it a couple of times and considered going that route, but so many of the hotels in the area have bad ratings and reviews that I was leery.

I've used bidding advice from biddingfortravel successfully in the past, but haven't tried betterbidding--I'll check it out.

Anyone have other suggestions?
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 04:18 PM

Hi again
I just asked my husband about getting these rates in May. (My birthday is the first of May, so that's why we often go to Memphis during that time of the year.) He remembers that we have avoided the weekend of "Memphis in May" b/c of the crowds and the hotel costs. I don't recall our ever being there while Memphis in May was going on, but we have gotten the priceline rates many other weekends in May. We usually bid 2 to 3 weeks in advance of going.

I should add that the East Memphis Hilton is where we've won lots of bids at lately (probably 3 or 4 times over the past year). It used to be an Adams Mark and then was the Memphis Park Vista (it's a very tall round hotel off of 240/Poplar). Since Hilton took over, it's been remodeled and is really nice. We've been so thrilled to keep winning bids there and hope our luck continues the next time we go back!
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Original Poster

Ah--I remember the old Adam's Mark! It was quite chi-chi for a while. I'll probably be spending a lot of time at the Main Library, so a hotel on Poplar would be very welcome. Thanks so much!
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 09:42 AM

Glad to help. I know there are some other hotels along Poplar that would probably have decent rates--like Hampton Inns, chains like that. I'm not sure of prices for those b/c we've used priceline for so long now. It might be worth checking into, but I still think you can get a great deal using priceline. Since you're from Memphis, I assume you know you'll need a car to get around. Keep us posted on where you stay!