Lovejoy Tearoom in San Francisco

Old Aug 5th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lovejoy Tearoom in San Francisco

Has anyone been to Lovejoy's Tea Room at 1351 Church Street in San Francisco? It looks delightful, very British, but just wondering if it's worth the trip across town. We're staying near Union Square, and according to the Muni website, it takes almost an hour to get there by bus.

Sandy
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 01:19 PM
SAB

I know nothing about the tea room but no way should it take an hour--it's in Noe Valley and easily reachable by the J street car. You might want to combine going with a visit to the Mission Delores which is close to the J line or a visit to Noe Valley itself to see a more typical SF neighborhood.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 02:03 PM

You can take the F Line also. The cost is $1.25 (35cents for seniors 65 or older, ID required). If you want a transfer ask for it when you first board. Think the transfer is good for 90 minutes. Have exact toll out.

The F Line is the old restored electric street cars that were brought to SF from all over the world. That would be a fun way to get to Church St.

I am not familar with Lovejoy's either as I don't drink tea. Have a wonderful visit in SF.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 02:08 PM

LoveItaly, no driver ever asks for ID. Don't take it personally, it's not how you look

And the drivers must give the transfers, it's a new rule "proof of payment" since January. They don't tear off the edge of the transfer, so no more 3-trips rule.

I gotta get you on those MUNI buses
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 02:50 PM
SAB

Nice thought LI but the F Line only goes to Market and Castro--it does not go all the way the way to 24th and it does not run on Church.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 05:10 PM

Never had tea at Lovejoy's, but I've walked, jogged, driven, been driven, Muni-Metroed, by it several thousand times - really. Was there about 3 hours ago. Used to live on Jersey St - just a few blocks away.

Yes - the J-Church will get you there in less than 20 mins, once you are on the metro. Going there, sit on the left side of the car with your back to the direction you will be traveling. That way you will get a wonderful view of downtown as the car passes the southwest corner of Mission Dolores park.

Get off on 24th St and walk down the main shopping corridor of the Noe Valley. When you get off the bus, cross 24th st. & turn right. Head west on the south side of the street towards Twin Peaks, and walk as far as Douglass St. When you hit Castro St (2 streets before Douglass) turn left & walk south to Jersey St, cross over to the other side of the street & return to 24th St. When you get to Douglass, cross over to the north side of 24th, & walk back towards Church. One block after Douglass, cross Diamond St & walk north in the first block past Bacco Restaurant & then return to 24th. Continue past Castro, and peer into the window of the Twin Peaks Realty - where you will find displays in the window put there by the only Republican who lives in the Noe Valley - you will know it when you get there. Continue on to Church.

You will pass over 20 cafes & restaurants on this route, two ice cream stores, and many unique boutiques.

Cross Church St and turn right (south) & in a few blocks you will see Lovejoys on a corner. Every time I've passed this place at tea time it has been jammed

After tea, continue walking south on Church St. If you have a pet at home, stop to pick him/her up a treat from SF at the pet store. At 27th st, cross over Church Street & continue walking south on the west side Church. Peer in Eric's Chinese restaurant and then walk another block to Duncan & check out the menu at my favorite Italin restaurant in SF - Incanto. It's a little different than most Italian restaurants. Continue walking south on Church. We're having dinner tomorrow at Yanni's - a Greek restaurant between Day & 30th St. When you get to 30th st, cross Church and pick up the J-Church in front of XOs cafe - which is my favorite place to get a coffee. If you need to use the restroom, the one inside XOs is very clean & convenient - and you can "check out" XO.

You have just made the "cook's tour" of the Noe Valley. Many people and a few magazines have declared it the best neighborhood in San Francisco.

Consider taking the J-Church for dinner at Incanto one evening (excellent wine selection), or any other enticing restaurant you passed - infinatly more interesting than walking around the Wharf or eating there - this is the real San Francisco.

Off the soap box now.

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 08:52 PM

Hi Stu, I love Fishermens Wharf as much as you do! As in NOT. I always like reading your post. One of these days I am going to post a question just for you if I may.

Faina darlin, yes you will teach me how to use Muni! I insist. And oh btw, a good friend of mine called from Milan today and I told him how I had to cancel SF for tomorrow. We both have orders, take the Milano street car (F Line) while we are together. LOL. Now about that BULL wine or whatever it is called. Where do we get that for heavens sakes? Can't you just see me lugging several bottles of it back on the ferry?

Thanks SAB, didn't know where on Church the tea room was so stupid suggestion on my part. I try to be more accurate usually.

Old Aug 6th, 2005, 06:52 AM

Actually y'all - while the J-line will get you there quickest; the F-line with a transfer to J at Church would definitely be more scenic.

Both lines meet at Church and Market.

Here's a link to a map with only the streetcars:
http://transit.511.org/providers/map...3200345630.pdf
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 09:26 AM
SAB

F-line with a transfer to J at Church would definitely be more scenic.

Particularly if you like looking at freeway construction, the homeless, discount camera shops and boarded up stores!!! Whilst it may be fun to ride, the F on Market from Powell to Octavia is not particularly scenic IMHO. From Powell to the Wharf is a different story.
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 09:44 AM

I live in Noe Valley but haven't been to Lovejoys tearoom though have been meaning to. It looks very cute! I do agree however that Noe valley is definitely worth visiting for its neighborhood charm. Great victorian architecture, sunny climate, quaint boutiques, diverse restaurants & bars.......My favorite restaurant is Le Zinc, a French bistro which is great at anytime of day. They serve lunch on weekdays, brunch at the weekend and dinner everynight. Enjoy your visit!
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone who gave me such helpful answers about how to get to Lovejoy's Tea Room.

Sandy