Fairmont San Francisco-

Mar 14th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Fairmont San Francisco-

OK, last question before our trip. We've already gotten so many ideas from the board for things to do with kids, etc. but are down to this: We are Fairmont frequent quests and were going to stay first two nights at Argonaut at Fisherman's Wharf and last two nights at Fairmont for variety for the kids. The Fairmont has now opened up for the whole time. How is this location as a central base for touring? I'm specifically wondering how close it is to walk to shops at union square and whether there is stuff around the hotel to do or if we should skip fairmont altogether and stay whole trip at Argonaut or whole trip in Union Square. Thanks so much for any insights!
Mar 14th, 2005, 07:37 PM

The Fairmont is one of the elegant "grand dame" San Francisco hotels. It is right on Union Square and couldn't be more convenient for shopping. I haven't stayed there (since I live in SF) but would think you would enjoy it. Fisherman's Wharf, however, probably has more "kid friendly" activities.
Mar 14th, 2005, 09:10 PM

Actually, the Fairmont is on Nob Hill. I think Kathryn is thinking of the St. Francis? You don't say how old your kids are but my impression is it might be a bit stuffy for kids. It's on the Cable Car line, but not really that walkable to anything much.
Mar 14th, 2005, 09:47 PM

Oh, my goodness Grasshopper you are quite right. Yes, I was thinking of the St. Francis. Oops!
Mar 14th, 2005, 09:51 PM

It's an easy mistake, Kathryn. They are both elegant "grand dames".
Mar 14th, 2005, 11:04 PM

Hi kendallg, the Fairmont is one of the elegant hotels of SF. But as it was pointed out it is not at Union Square. From Union Square you walk up Powell St. several blocks (steep hills) to California, turn left and it is about one block over on California. Across from the hotel is the Grace Cathedral.

You have children. I would say, as beautiful as the Fairmont Hotel is there is not a lot on NobHill to interest the little ones. But it is not a long ways from Union Square.

My personal preference is to stay in the Union Square area. However I do not like the St. Francis Hotel or the Sir Francis Drake Hotel, both at Union Square.

If you do not mind spending a bit of money on taxis the Fairmont Hotel would be a lovely place to stay. I say taxis if your children are young. Walking back from Union Square to the Fairmont Hotel might be to much for them. If they are say 12 years or older that should not be a problem.

What ever you decide, have a wonderful visit. And welcome to SF!
Mar 15th, 2005, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great input. My kids are 5 and 8. We have until tonight to change our minds and I'm beginning to wonder if we should switch to Union Square (but where?) or the Argonaut at Fisherman's Wharf. I've read bad reviews on trip advisor about the westin st. francis so want to stay away from there. Stayed years at sir francis drake and remember small rooms but that's not a deal killer. Would welcome any other thoughts....
Mar 15th, 2005, 08:55 AM

I would stay at the Fairmont. I used to spend a lot of time there years ago..Ernie and Sallie Heckscher were my parents best friends and Ernie was the orchestra leader there in those days. The old days of dinner and dancing..gee, I just realized that I'm older that dirt!!!!..anyway, I think its good for kids now and then to see things that are elegant and refined...some call it stuffy. On my first trip to Hawaii..I was 18 at the time...we stayed for 6 weeks at the Royal Hawaiian, and I had a blast. The Fairmont is on the cable car line so it's pretty easy to get to Union Square etc. but you of course know what works best for you.
Apr 21st, 2005, 12:38 PM

so where did you end up staying? I am having the same dilemma, Argonaut vs. someplace fancy.
Apr 21st, 2005, 12:49 PM

Usually travels with children are FOR children. There is the Tonga room restaurant opened for dinners only (rainstorm... but Rainforest is more fun for kids) and a playground a block away. Everything else requires to climb a hill - is your 5-year-old ready for this?

Fishemens' area is better for children of this age. Union Square would be my 2nd choice.
Apr 21st, 2005, 12:50 PM

Ooopsss... I didn't look at the date
Apr 23rd, 2005, 08:13 PM

Actually, thank you. I am planning a trip to SF end of June with three boys, so your reply was of interest. I think we'll just go ahead and book the Argonaut and if we want, we'll visit the Fairmont. I've been there a long time ago, pre husband and kids.