Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Looking for Condo in Rehobeth, Dewey or Ocean City

Looking for Condo in Rehobeth, Dewey or Ocean City

Oct 1st, 2007, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Looking for Condo in Rehobeth, Dewey or Ocean City

I am going to start looking for a one bedroom condo in any of the these three beach destinations. I have never been to Dewey Beach or Rehobeth, but I have been to Ocean City, MD.

We usually do not take vacations like this. But, with a new baby, DH does not want to fly. And, a condo with a swimming pool on the beach might fit the bill.

Could anyone tell me the difference between these three destinations. We are looking for a nice beach in an area with nice restaurants and shopping. I have been to Ocean City, MD, and it seems to be a little too hectic. I'd also appreciate recommendations for rental agencies in those three areas.
Oct 1st, 2007, 08:51 AM

I vote for Rehoboth. Dewey Beach is a big party town for the under 35 crowd. Although during the week it is a lot quieter and is very close to Rehoboth. Rehoboth has better dining and shopping than the other two. Both are less hectic than Ocean City. However, with some much construction, Rehoboth is getting more crowded every day. Consider Fenwick Island, also. Nice family beach.

Oct 1st, 2007, 09:45 AM

Ocean City is much bigger than the other two, much noisier and very crowded in the summer. Bethany and Rehoboth are smaller and quieter. Rehoboth has the reputation of being upper crust. It also has Grotto's Pizza and Nicolo's Pizza. Dewey has a sizeable gay community on its north end.
Oct 1st, 2007, 10:21 AM

The gay beach is not in Dewey it is in Rehoboth and it is called "Poodle beach". Bethany is nice but Rehoboth has better shopping and restaurants.
Oct 1st, 2007, 10:27 AM

def. agree with fenwick island. it's right there, and might be just what you are looking for!
Oct 1st, 2007, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Can anyone suggest a rental agency, hotel or condo that I might rent?
Oct 1st, 2007, 12:36 PM

For which beach? How much do you want to spend and what time of year are you going?
Oct 1st, 2007, 01:13 PM

When we were in your shoes (young baby, didn't want to fly), we did the exact same thing. We rented a condo in Bethany Beach at Sea Colony. I think we used ResortQuest, but multiple realtors/management companies will rep different units and houses there. We got a lovely 2 bedroom condo in a highrise overlooking the ocean and pool. The pool was great for our toddler and it was very convenient to be oceanfront. As others have said, Bethany is a little quieter (more family-oriented), but it is a short ride to any of the restaurants in either Rehoboth or Ocean City.

Search this Thread