Ocean City , Md.

Old May 9th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Ocean City , Md.

Planning a week long summer vacation to OC this summer and need recommendations as to where we can stay with the oceanfront outside our front door. Ground floor that is. Is there such a place??
Celebrating 32 nd anniversary! Thanks for any and all help.
Old May 10th, 2009, 07:28 AM

I'm not sure such a place exists. Try contacting the OC Visitor's Center--they should be able to help you out.

Ocean City is about beachfront high-rises. The area at the lower (boardwalk) end has some more mom-and-pop motels, but they're back from the beach.
Old May 10th, 2009, 11:28 AM

There are plenty of places like that in OC. Mostly they are older condos, low to mid-rise, which are right on the beach, and have units on the ground floor and up. Their numbers have gone down in the past few years due to a high volume of redevelopment, but they are certainly still available. The only way to find them is by contacting a realtor in Ocean City that rents vacation condos, or by looking on websites like VRBP. From about 33rd street to the south, they would be on the boardwalk, not directly on the beach, but that is just as good really.
Old May 10th, 2009, 02:40 PM

Though you say you want to stay in Ocean City, Maryland, I would definitly suggest Fenwick Island, Delaware or Bethany Beach, Delaware because it sounds like you may find more of what you are looking for there. Fenwick Island begins right at the end of Ocean City (around 144th Street I believe). You will be able to find pretty affordable condos/homes around there that are beachfront, as well as in Bethany Beach (which is about a ten minute drive from Ocean City).

If your heart is set on Ocean City, I would suggest looking in the higher streets (above 130th) if you are looking for a ground floor water view. These streets tend to be much more laid back (not as laid back as Fenwick and Bethany, however), with less crowded beaches compared to the Boardwalk areas, but are still just a short drive/public bus ride away to the excitement of Ocean City. Nothing is too far, regardless of where you are staying but if you're looking for a relaxing beach week, the Boardwalk area isn't really the place I'd suggest (it continues to be populated throughout most of the night- with a lot of noise and people everywhere).

Hope this helps, enjoy your 32nd anniversary!
Old May 29th, 2009, 06:04 PM

Good info, everyone. I may be attending a wedding in OC later this year, so this is good to know.