Search

Looking for Cars Optional Cities

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2003, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for Cars Optional Cities

Hi Everyone,

I live in a large southwestern metro area where cars are an absolute necessity for getting around. I'm sick of the traffic, with its delays, road rage incidents, and sheer frustration but it is a daily part of my life.

Nevertheless, I love big cities and their energy. On my vacation, I would like to visit a mid to large-sized city which has a mild to warm weather climate year round. I'm hoping to avoid the traffic hassles that I experience every other day of my life and would like to find a city which also does not require a car to get around; a place where there is good public transportation or lots to do within walking distance of most hotels or some other characteristic which makes cars optional and not an absolute necessity for getting around.

Any advice or insights will be greatly appreciated!

Jack_ie
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 05:23 PM

Your weather requirement knocks out NY and DC. Leaves only San Francisco.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 05:30 PM

How about New Orleans? No car needed and the weather is (usually) pretty darn warm here!
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 07:30 PM

I guess I don't get why your desired city has to have good weather year round. Doesn't it just depend on when you are taking your vacation? I agree that San Francisco is one of the few that really seems to match your description. New Orlean might be another -- don't think I've ever used my car once I was there, and you hardly even need public transportation.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 10:17 PM

Another vote for San Francisco.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 09:32 AM

Places where a car are not needed: NYC, DC, Chicago, Toronto, Seattle, San Francisco, New Orleans and Key West. Since you are limiting yourself, the first four get too cold and the last two too hot, Seattle too rainy and San Francisco too foggy. San Diego has maybe the best weather of any major city in the country, but several of it's best attractions are in the outlying areas. I agree with Patrick in not understanding how the weather matters if you are not visiting in that season. Explanation?
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 10:43 AM

Portland is also supposed to be a place where cars are unnecessary.

I just don't know if anyone would find Portland compelling.

Old Feb 14th, 2003, 10:56 AM

Now that I read this post again in the daytime, maybe I understand the reference to year round good weather. Although you are talking about taking your vacation there, you are really looking for a place to move to permanently????
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for all your help. Your insights will be invaluable as I plan my vacation.

Yes Patrick and Don512, you are correct that there is something more to my search than for a place to vacation and yes, Patrick, it is because I 'm looking for a place to live not just vacation.

I would be living in San Francisco or perhaps San Diego already, were it not for the incredibly high cost of living there.

New Orleans is a place of great interest to me and I have been doing lots of research, knowing in the end, that I'll just have to pay a visit in order to really make up my mind about it once and for all.

In the meantime, I'm trying to give myself as many alternatives as possible. I've noticed thus far that most of the replies mention the same places that I would expect and the ones that are most desirable in my estimation; not having actually visited any of these places yet.

I noticed that no one mentioned the Miami area, so I'm guessing that cars are a necessity there. Key West would be fabulous, if only there were jobs there.

Anyway, thanks again for all your help!

Jack_ie