Reload this Page >

Best thing to do in San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 10:35 PM
Bill

Hey, I live here - but I thought those who have visited along with those who live here might post their favorite thing to do in "the City". (Note to visitors, locals NEVER call it San Fran or Frisco)

Here's one of my favorite San Francisco walks: Start at the corner of Buena Vista Avenue East & Duboce. Enter Buena Vista Park (the oldest park in San Francisco) - head up the stairs and stay to the paved trail on the right that takes you above the tennis courts. In the late afternoon you'll pass tennis players and dog walkers. You'll also see some spectacular views of downtown. There are many ways throught the park, but I like to stick to the one with the relatively easy grade (avoid the really steep paths and never give up a hill).

After winding a bit you'll feel as if you've left the entire city behind, surrounded by pines and eucalyptus. Believe it or not, you're only a few yards from Haight Street on your right. Check out the California poppies blooming near the path. Take a closer look at the marble that lines the path in spots. The marble is actually reclaimed from headstones that once resided in the old Lone Mountain cemetery. If you look closely you can still make out some inscriptions. (Creepy, but a cool fact)

Keep your eyes on the horizon for some excellent views of distant church domes and steeples. Ahead on the path you'll see a wide deck with a railing. From here you'll be able to see Golden Gate Park in the distance, along with the top half of the Golden Gate Bridge, and on a clear day, the ocean in the distance.

If you're in the mood, follow the trail up to the summit of the park. Not in the mood for uphill? Head out to find the sidewalk and follow Buena Vista Avenue West back around to where you began. Check out the unique architecture of the houses.

Look near Frederick Street on Buena Vista West and you'll find the house where Jack London lived (look for the plaque).

For a longer walk, head down Upper Terrace. Take a right on Ashbury Terrace for a great mix of classic and modern architecture! Go left on Piedmont and left again on Ashbury (of the famous Haight-Ashbury intersection). Left again on 17th and left again on meandering Roosevelt Way. It's a good walk, but downhill most of the way. Take one final left at Park Hill and you'll wind up back at Buena Vista Park. Follow the rim around to the right and you'll end up where you began.

Let me know if you take the walk - and if you enjoy it. Share your favorite thing to do too!

(Note to non-drivers, there is a Muni railstop at Duboce Park (Duboce & Noe) but it's quite a hike uphill to the park entrance.)

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 07:25 AM
xxx

Bill,

Things getting slow at the SF Chamber of Commerce?

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 07:40 AM
abc

Get out of that city as fast as you can.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 08:03 AM
Andy

Great post, Bill! I'll file it for my next trip to the city. I love exploring the city's neighborhoods but haven't been to Buena Vista yet. Thanks for the time it took to jot down your thoughts.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 08:24 AM
Melissa

Bill, thank you for this suggestion! I love walking thru cities to explore different parts (while getting some exercise) and this sounds great! Not to mention, San Francisco is one of my favorite cities.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 09:12 AM
lizbeth

Bill, after 40+ years of living here, my list of "favorites" is way long, but one of my favorite bus routes is the #66 Quintara. Little dinky community-service run which only goes downtown during the commute peaks. Its core route from 9th & Judah to 30th & Vicente goes over Golden Gate Heights, and the view towards the headlands and out to sea is spectacular. If I was with a visitor we'd probably get off the bus at Lawton &16th Ave or so, climb up the hill which is now Golden Gate Heights Park, then walk back down to Irving St. for coffee or lunch.

Another bus route, the #33 Ashbury, has always impressed me for the sheer variety of the neighborhoods it passes through. From the edge of the Presidio, down Arguello in the Richmond, along GG Park's eastern side, through the upper and lower Haight, over Corbett to the Castro, to the Mission - whew, that's a snapshot of the City on one ride.

Here's something that I witnessed yesterday that is an example of why I love my city so:

On the N-Judah in the early evening, shortly after the commute rush. Our driver is an African American guy in his 30's or so. He calls out the stops, especially the transfer points. As we make the turn towards Judah & 9th Ave., he calls out the stop with its connections first in English, then in Cantonese, then in Mandarin! It was just one of those S.F. moments that made me smile...

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 11:59 AM
Andy

Bill & lizbeth -

Thanks for the local insight! I will be in San Francisco later in the year and am always looking for things to do that are off the beaten path. It's great to get a local's perspecive. Anybody can pick up a travel guide book and head to Fisherman's Wharf, but it takes a bit of inside information to see the things which make up the heart and soul of a city.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 12:03 PM
d

Classy, x. Classy.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 12:42 PM
youdidsaybest

how about buying a meal for one of the homeless!

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 05:33 PM
kam

I'm not that great a walker, but I love to browse on Union Street in Cow Hollow, walk the GG Bridge, see the murals in the Mission District and visit the Saturday Farmer's Market. We live in/near a fantastic city and I think we are as passionate about it as New Yorkers, there are just fewer of us in the "little city". I don't live "in" SF but my son does. We live in Palo Alto, but never fail to leave the city without a smile on our faces.