Need walkable city destination...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for a four day (sun-thur) trip in late January. Was decided on Boston for its many historic sites and restaurants, but after reading about weather that time of year not sure we want to risk running into a snow storm. Second option was San Diego, but I don't yet know much about what SD has to offer and I'm not certain it's walkable/doesn't require a rental car. Third option is Charleston, SC because of its history, French Quarter, and warm temps.

Any thoughts on these three (or any others)?
Old Nov 26th, 2010, 03:18 PM

San Francisco won't be hot but it's very walkable.
Old Nov 26th, 2010, 03:18 PM

Have not found San diego to be walkable - far too spread out and you need a car for many paces. In CA, SF is very walkable.
Old Nov 26th, 2010, 03:39 PM

While the weather in San Francisco isn't the best in winter, if you are prepared for it and dress accordingly, it is a great city to visit. Very walkable and lots to see and do.

We are headed there mid Jan for a week, it is our 4th time to visit SF during winter.

Click my name for trip reports.
Old Nov 26th, 2010, 03:59 PM

San Francisco, Portland, and Seattle are three walkable cities on the West Coast--San Diego isn't.

I would go with Charleston or New Orleans. Of the two, New Orleans is a little warmer and a little wetter.

In January, San Francisco is about ten degrees warmer than Seattle or Portland.

HTTY
Old Nov 26th, 2010, 04:29 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Bits of San Diego are walkable but you really would need a car.

SF, Seattle, NO (I know they aren't on your list but htty did mention them) or Charleston are all great choices for a non-car-centric holiday.

Even Charleston though, you'd probably want a car to get outside the city. The city is entirely walkable -- but for 5 days you'd likely want to see some of the outlying sites/plantations.

5 days in SF will just about scratch the surface
Old Nov 27th, 2010, 04:05 AM

I live outside Charleston and I agree with the above. The Historic District is easy to navigate without a car, and there's lots to see. But you may want to see Middleton, Magnolia and Drayton Hall plantations, and for that you'll need a car. It may be chilly here in January. and if the wind comes off the water it can be cold, so prepare for that. Have fun.
Old Nov 27th, 2010, 04:58 AM

I have always dubbed Charleston our most European city in terms of its walkability and historicity and cuisine. You really can't go wrong. But I also agree with wanting to have access to a car for the plantations although there are tours that will do that for you. But you also might want to drive up to Georgetown and see a lovely Revolutionary War era town, walk the waterfront and have a delightful meal.
Old Nov 27th, 2010, 05:34 AM

What about New Orleans? The downtown area is very walkable and you can use the streetcar for getting uptown. Lots of history. You can probably day a daytrip to see plantations.
Old Nov 27th, 2010, 06:34 AM

In terms of warmer-in-the-USA & walkable/not-requiring-a-rental-car destinations: New Orleans, Key West, Miami (focused on downtown/South Beach), San Antonio and Charleston came to mind. Certainly, for all, a car would allow you to explore further afield and for San Antonio and Miami, picking a central base such as the Riverwalk or South Beach would be necessary to keep amenities close. However in my experience (I've been to all but Charleston without a car), one can have a perfectly enjoyable vacation exploring on foot or by public transit (or by bike especially in Key West!), as long as you accept that you won't "see everything" in the region.
Old Nov 27th, 2010, 08:42 AM

Agree with Daniel 100%. Feel ashamed I didn't think of Miami. In terms of what each place has "to offer" go up to the top of this page to destinations and find the cities with guides.
Old Nov 27th, 2010, 02:15 PM

Why do so few people make posts like this one without offering a clue about from where the trip will originate??

With some folks, we can take the time to click their name and get a context clue, but not in this case.

With just four days, location is a vital piece of information considering it could take a whole day to reach various spots.

That said, the weather in Seattle or Vancouver, Canada is generally likely to be chilly and/or wet, BUT both are very walkable locations (made so by WATER surrounding them).

The weather in January could go either way, but the lowest official temp in Seattle over the past 20 years has been 14, and EVERY SINGLE DAY last January reached at least 45 degrees. (admittedly that was remarkably mild for January)

(on just ONE day in January AND February, 2010 combined did it get down to freezing in Seattle) - again, that weather cannot be anticipated.

Vancouver is just an awesome city, and you can even take a city bus a few miles outside of town, to the bottom of a mountain, and then take a Gondola up 3000 feet to a ski area.

IF you were in the central U.S. or in a place from which you could get to either Seattle or Vancouver conveniently, either one would make for a fine carless quick getaway.

(both have light rail lines that go directly from their respective airports to downtown)

We need more understanding as to where the original poster will begin his trip.
Old Nov 27th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks so much for all the responses. Thinking more about Charleston based on feedback, but also will look into Seattle. Would like to save San Fran for another time since it's on my spouse's list of long-awaited destinations and I'm sure we'll want to spend more time there than the few days we have.

NorthwestMale, for what it's worth, our nearest airport is Dallas-Fort Worth.

Our plan is to use some rewards miles. The farthest destination they'll take us is San Juan, which I wouldn't mind, but I've read gov travel warnings of Dengue Fever.

Thanks again everyone. Appreciate your help.
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 04:11 AM

In this day and age of air flight, AND because the OP listed both west coast and east coast states as a possibility from THEIR point of view, origin is interesting but not really key.
Vancouver could be a REAL possibility for a great time.
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 05:49 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
My wife and I are going to Washington DC over Christmas, one of the reasons, besides that we've never been there as adults, is that it is quite walkable. There are an enormous amount of activities to chose from, whatever your city interest.

We visited Charleston for a week a few years ago and agree with that suggestion.

I lived in the Bay Area for a couple of years in the early '70's and always liked the quote, wrongly attributed to Mark Twain that "the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco". I worked right on Fisherman's Wharf and do remember being bundled up on many a July day. You could luck out in January, but of course don't count on it. Normal max temperature difference between January and July is less than you might guess:
http://ggweather.com/sf/temp1.html

Have fun.
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 06:36 AM

I have often considered our nation's capital VERY underrated as a destination. There is an absolutely incredible amount to see, do, experience, and admire. Walkable? Maybe!! Not nearly as centralized as some of the other places discussed. Or if "centralized", BIG buildings and spaces to cover!! Just a thought.
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 07:31 AM

What about Savannah?
What about St. Augustine?
What about Victoria, B.C.?

Old Nov 28th, 2010, 08:01 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Gretchen, Good point about what constitutes "walkable". One person's stroll is anothers forced march. My wife and I enjoy hiking, so our view of walkable may be skewed!
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 08:28 AM

suewoo wrote re Charleston SC: "The Historic District is easy to navigate without a car, and there's lots to see. But you may want to see Middleton, Magnolia and Drayton Hall plantations, and for that you'll need a car."

You actually don't need a car to visit the three plantations listed above. When I was in this city back a couple years ago, Charleston Chauffeur Company offered a $20 car service between the Visitors Center and these three plantations -- two was the norm and three was a possibility as a special arrangement. Was able to see all three in a full day's worth of sightseeing this way. Am hoping that's still the case, as there's no other way to get to these without a car. See this report:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...hout-a-car.cfm

A few of the city's outlying attractions might more accurately fit that need-a-car description, such as Boone Hall Plantation and Cypress Gardens.

Savannah, San Francisco, Boston, New Orleans, Washington DC, and Vancouver are in my experience all very much walkable cities with good public transportation to help things along as needed.
Old Nov 29th, 2010, 08:02 AM

Emjoyed Charleston w/o a car. Walked all over and booked tours for plantations.

I agree with the above posting -- Savannah, Boston, San Francisco and Washington DC -- walkable cities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -