Looking for a new deciduous home

Jun 30th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Original Poster

Looking for a new deciduous home

I've been taking vacation after vacation looking for a place to homestead. And I'm looking for suggestions for my next one.

I grew up in a tiny California mountain town with a national forest in my backyard. So I am accustomed to small town living with super friendly (slightly crazy) people. But I cant stay there, turns out I'm horribly allergic to pine trees and many of my childhood illnesses magically cleared up when I left to go to college.

Since then I've been trying to think of a place to buy land and settle down. I'll visit a state and spend a few weeks driving all over it. But I haven't had luck so far. Hawaii taught me I'm not keen on islands. South Cali is too full of pollution and brown. North Cali is nice and green yes, but not enough trees. Texas has the trees but it's all flat and hot. Florida is too wet. Colorado is a lot less green than I expected. Alabama was too mean (I'm not saying everyone from Alabama is mean, I'm just not eager to repeat my experiences there). I'm thinking of visiting North Carolina or Oregon next. But at this rate I'm worried I'm going to have to visit all the states one at a time to find anything.

So any suggestions for my next vacation drive?

I need an area that has:
-Deciduous forest (fewer pines) all over some hills or mountains
-Within 30 minutes drive of a grocery
-within 1 hours drive of a town with a university

I would like an area that has:
-a winter (with snow) and a summer
-open-minded people (i hate getting the stinkeye if i go to church in pants...with Jamal)
-within 2-3 hours drive of a major city with a mall and airport.
-within a days drive of the ocean.

I hate:
-suburbs
-pollution
-meth-heads (because what else is there to do in a small mountain town)
-prolonged periods of extreme temperatures and/or humidity
Jun 30th, 2012, 09:41 PM

Portsmouth NH.
Jul 1st, 2012, 02:36 AM

Maine, lots of places, except the winters are long and the springs are short.
New Hampshire, ditto and no sales tax.
Vermont, not so much. Weird combination of people with trust funds and potential meth-head types not yet tipping the balance but worrisome.

But what can you do to earn a living? People in demand are doctors, nurses, welders, plumbers, electricians, machinists, mechanics of all kinds: diesel, auto, marine, small engine; mechanics, commercial fishermen. Not in demand: craftspeople who don't have a trust fund, astrologers, crystal therapists, snow plow operators (the locals have that all sewed up), B&B operators.

You should buy a Subaru or 4 wheel drive truck.
Jul 1st, 2012, 04:58 AM

What's the old saying? You can never go home again?
Jul 1st, 2012, 06:21 AM

What about central Pennsylvania, north of State College?
Jul 1st, 2012, 06:22 AM

As Oregon is famous for logging as an industry and the Douglas Fir, among other types of conifers, I would cross Oregon off your list.

And the no meth-head would eliminate about 90% of the small towns.
Jul 1st, 2012, 08:26 AM

I was going to recommend southern Vermont as just about exactly what you wanted, but I am woefully ignorant of meth-heads, their culture and geographic concentration.
Jul 1st, 2012, 09:53 AM

If you don;t want prolonged heat why do you keep looking at the south? (Any place south of DC the summers are hellish.)

I would suggest New England - but that may be too cold for you.

What's wrong with NY - state that is. Large, gorgeous, hot summers and cold winters - but we do have all four seasons - and you don't need to be near NYC. I mean there are a lot of places near Cornell - or other upstate schools.
Jul 1st, 2012, 11:48 AM

If you hate heat stay out of SC. Plus it's very piney.
Jul 1st, 2012, 11:54 AM

You do seem to be looking in "all the wrong" places!! As mentioned, central PA near State College or one of the many other college towns in western or Central PA. would fit. And New York state,with also many college towns and lots of forests....
Jul 1st, 2012, 01:12 PM

Also try Wisconsin/Minnesota,northern Michigan.
Jul 1st, 2012, 04:32 PM

Almost anywhere north of the Mason Dixon line. No fooling. I'm interested in people who take this seriously, and I am also.
and don't go up in eleveations.
Jul 1st, 2012, 04:55 PM

Several others have mentioned Central PA. For the best hospital/medical center choose Danville PA for Geisinger.
Are you also allergic to Juniper? There are a few good choices in eastern Oregon that would work.
Since the prevailing wind is from the west, the Oregon coast might work. Try taking a few vacations to cross some places off the list until you find a place that works for you.
I moved from central PA to central Oregon 7 years ago.
Jul 1st, 2012, 05:59 PM

Summit, oregon west of Philomath, not far from Corvallis & OSU.
Jul 1st, 2012, 10:03 PM

It is time to turn over a new leaf.