Notices

Has anyone traveled to New England?

Old May 20th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone traveled to New England?

I'm interested in driving thru all the states in New England. How many days would you recommend and what affordable places to stay at along the way?? What state was your favorite and why??
Old May 20th, 2006, 05:11 PM

About as long as it would take you to get from Sweden to Italy by train.
Old May 20th, 2006, 06:24 PM

To drive through all the New England states can be done in 2 days of solid (12/14 hour) driving in a sort of giant U. To actually see even major things would take from 2/3 weeks up - depending on your level of interest.

If you tell us when you plan on going, what your interests are/you want to see, people can give you specific info. (Beach resorts in the summer, skiing in the winter, leaf-peeping in the fall, big cities, mountains, ocean/lakes, history, culture, nature, hiking, antiquing - or a million other things.)
Old May 20th, 2006, 07:43 PM
roy

nytraveler hits it on the head. Your question as posted is far too general for any kind of meaningful reply.
Old May 21st, 2006, 03:34 AM

I bet you could do all the states in less than a day. Fly into Providence, take Rt 95 thru MA, NH and ME. Turn around and take Rt 4 to Concord, then head to Keene. Cross over to Brattleboro VT and then Rt 90 down to CT. Keene to CT is about an hour. Ct is my least favorite state. I think there is more to do and see in the Boston to Portland Maine region. We love the Maine seacoast but prefer the quieter mid-coast region (north of Portland). We love VT esp in the summer and fall. Burlington is a great city and nearby Shelburne Museum is wonderful. Some people take more than a day to see it. We live in NH and love the great views, hills and mountains. Portsmouth NH is a great city with wonderful restaurants. We usually spend a week exploring an area but once spent a nice week in VT, a few days in the Burlington area and then a few days further south. The affordable places are going to be Motel 6 but if you travel before the summer season starts, rates are much lower. You might also find some rates drop after labor day except in prime foliage areas. There are some wonderful unique places to visit but you'll miss them if you try to cover too much territory. In Maine I would drive at least as far north as Camden during the summer when the windjammers are sailing. I like to tour gardens, esp local garden club tours. My husband likes antique tractors. We both like lobster. There's some wineries in each state. I read recently about touring VT to visit local cheese makers. There are so many places in New England that have distinct personalities. And how can anyone choose a time of year? It's great most of the year.
Old May 21st, 2006, 12:44 PM

Don't go June 20 to September 6 if you want affordable.

September has great weather up there and you can stay half the price of summer time. And lobster prices are down then, too!