Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for first New England vacation!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 06:41 PM
Pam

My husband and I are flying into Providence, RI. Renting a car and looking forward to a road trip. Would like to take in the coast of Maine, get over into Vermont and possibly New Hampshire and ultimately fly out of Providence. Have about 5-6 days to drive. Please help!!!! I welcome your suggestions.
P.S. We are leaving 10/01/02. Please answer quickly!!

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 08:47 PM
Kevin

Type in "fall foliage" or similar and you'll find many suggestions in the archives.
The most popular destinations are:
Kennebunkport, Portsmouth and Ogunquit in Maine.
Woodstock, Middlebury, Burlington, Montpelier and Manchester in VT.
Kancamagus Highway (White Mountains) in NH.

The better hotels and inns book up months in advance of foliage season.
You'll have to scrounge for vacancies.

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 02:22 AM
Donna F

Portsmouth is on the NH coast right next to Maine. You can get some good trip routes at Yankee Magazine's website www.newengland.com. New England is small but you can easily spend all your time in Maine. Include Portland on the list and drive as far north as Camden. If you're going to make a quick trip thru NH, the Kancamangus will be fine but you'll miss Lake Winnipesaukee. If you get to VT, drive south on your return trip to RI. Western Massachusetts is very pretty and the extra couple of hours will be worth the circuituous return to Providence. If you look at the map, Rt 95 north from Providence is all pretty industrial when you go thru eastern Mass. It will be quickest way north but not very pretty until you get closer to NH.

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 04:50 AM
Collette

If you belong to AAA check with them about routes. Lots of prety towns all along the way. Camden Maine is very picturesque, with ocean and NE flavor. Save a day to enjoy Providence too.. walk around the riverwalk, go to Federal Hill ( Italian section with great eats)

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 05:46 AM
nina

Do you have hotel or inn reservations? I would get on that immediately, if not. It's leaf peaking season and most places are booked solid. As soon as you have a route mapped out, start calling. Good luck!

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 07:39 AM
tmn

I just returned (yesterday)from a "road trip" in which we flew into PVD, however, we chose the Southern NE route, which included Newport RI, (gorgeous - great place to visit, lots to do) and Cape Cod (stayed in Nantucket and Marthas Vineyard) - we drove all along the cape to Provincetown and back. There was VERY LITTLE color in the trees! We have also driven the Main/Vermont/New Hampshire route as well - all very nice - I would definately pin-point some destinations rather than just driving - I agree with the other posters that you best get your reservations and itin established TODAY! Good Luck - have a great time!

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 05:33 PM
Melissa

hi Pam-
Just curious, are you ble to change your flight plans at all? You say you are flying into Providence, yet you want to tour mostly Northern New England. Could you fly into Manchester, NH instead?
If not and you truly want to explore the north- I say go north to Vermont first and wind your way over to Maine.
Woodstock Vt is nice, take the Rte that brings you through Sugar Hill/Franconia Notch and either stay in Fran.Notch proceed down the Kancamangus and stay in Barlett or N.Conway area. You would then be able to visit Maine-I like Portland (great city) and Kennebunk/Ogunquit is not too far.

Although, I like the idea of Newport/Cape Cod/ Nantucket, yet I am partial because I live on Cape Cod.

No matter where you go, even New Hampshire/Maine, the leaves have not really turned color yet (starting, but not nearly full leaf peeping season). Everything on Cape Cod is still green.
I echo the sentiments of the other posters and agree that you need your reservations quickly, and you should pinpoint the destinations you wish to see.