Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Movies, Shows etc that get you pumped up about traveling to a place. Favorites, anyone?

Search

Movies, Shows etc that get you pumped up about traveling to a place. Favorites, anyone?

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since everyone was discussing this on DaVinci, why not share? Before we went to Mendocino, we rented Summer of 42 which was filmed there. But hey, this is Europe. So one of my favorite things is the Tour de France and some of the awesome sights along the way. I usually tape it then go back and mark places that I loved. The photography is unreal. Not to mention bikers' buns.
"On Her Majesty's Secret Service" for that Schilthorn view...next..??
Old May 20th, 2006, 11:36 AM

Saw the movie "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants", which had some GREAT shots of Santorini.

Hubby & I have been talking about going on a cruise of the Greek Islands (he has been to Crete and loved it).

We've already planned our major vacation for next year, so it looks like Greece is where we will be going the following year.
Old May 20th, 2006, 12:24 PM

I saw the movie "A Walk in the Clouds" when I was 16 and wanted to go to the Napa valley so much...and did 8 years later with my husband.
Old May 20th, 2006, 12:50 PM

Chocolat, Paris
Old May 20th, 2006, 01:28 PM

Under the Tuscan Sun.
Old May 20th, 2006, 01:37 PM

Paris: Le Divorce
Amelie
Boston: Fever Pitch
Old May 20th, 2006, 01:38 PM

Because of Under the Tuscan Sun, Tuscany is now at the top of my to-go list.

I think the Lord of the Rings opened everyone's eyes to the beauty of New Zealand. But, I'll have to save that trip for when my daughter is a bit older.
Old May 20th, 2006, 02:39 PM
trippinkpj

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil: Savannah, GA. And South Pacific, Kauai.

Old May 20th, 2006, 06:20 PM

The opening scene of Midnight was filmed including filming of the courtyard of my little "private" getaway in Savannah. I shrieked when I saw "my" courtyard. The owners have pretty much stopped renting out the self-catering apartment - but still let me and my pups visit.

I love Summer Lovers for Greece - although the movie is awful and adore Shirley Valentine for Greece (movie and location).

Forget Paris is not that great a movie - but wonderful for Paris scenes.

For years I watched any NYC movie I could before I visited Manhattan. I still love movies based in New York. I find myself looking as much as the sets and locations as I do the movie. I was intrigued my the apartment in Hannah and My Sisters - and learned years later that Woody Allan coerced Mia to film the movie in her actual home. Very weird - but so is he.

Tuscan Sun will be the reason I celebrate a milestone birthday there this fall
Old May 21st, 2006, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Saw Brokeback Mountain last night and the Wyoming scenery was gorgeous.
Old May 21st, 2006, 07:28 AM
trippinkpj

I think BrokebackMountain was actually filmed in Canada, "standing in" for Wyoming.
Anyway, I thought of another one: Top Gun for San Diego on the waterfront. And at the Kansas City BBQ there.

Old May 21st, 2006, 07:43 AM
P_M

LLindaC, were you at my house last night and we didn't see you? We also watched Brokeback Mountain on pay per view.

But my all-time fave travel movie is French Kiss.
Old May 21st, 2006, 08:22 AM

Prague-The Bourne Identity
Old May 21st, 2006, 08:34 AM

I know this is off topic...but PM reminded me of this...

Arrrgh! We were watching Brokeback Mountain on pay-per-view while vacationing in Florida, but there was a power-surge. So the movie was cut off just at the part when Ennis was in Jack's childhood room. What happened?
Old May 21st, 2006, 09:18 AM

I didn't see the movie, but read the story. The scene in childhood room is so touching and sad, I think you should honestly see it or read it for yourself. You don't want to be told. Trust me. Very moving.
Old May 21st, 2006, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Well, I'll be darned! It was filmed in Canada, lol, but Wyoming is getting a lot of tourism dollars because of it! I DO love the Canadian Rockies- my husband's been both places and said he thought it looked just like Wyoming. Remember Foul Play and the great chase scene through San Francisco? That was good.
Old May 21st, 2006, 12:26 PM
trippinkpj

Yes, Foul Play had great chase scenes in SF. So did What's Up Doc, which was a similar comedy released before FP.

Old May 21st, 2006, 12:27 PM
trippinkpj

I have another: You've Got Mail, in NYC.

Old May 21st, 2006, 12:32 PM

Y Tu Mama Tambien has had me desperate to go to secret Mexican beaches for years. I'm finally going this fall!
Old May 21st, 2006, 12:36 PM
P_M

Warning: If you don't want to know how Brokeback Mountain ends, do not read the following:

stw, while Ennis was in Jack's childhood room, he found the shirt Jack was wearing during the first summer when they met. Remember the scene where they got into a fight, and Jack wiped his bloody nose with the sleeve of his denim shirt? Apparently Jack kept that shirt all those years and never washed off the blood. Ennis took the shirt, went down to the kitchen where Jack's parents were, and Jack's mom put the shirt in a bag for Ennis to take home. It would appear the parents knew the nature of the relationship and invited Ennis to come again for another visit.

Ennis then went home and his oldest daugher came over to announce that she was engaged and to ask him to be at the wedding. He had a job lined up, but soon decided to give up the job he had pending in order to be at the wedding. After the daugher left, Ennis took Jack's shirt out of the closet, gave it a hug, and hung it up again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -