Looking for a condo in Maui

May 2nd, 2003, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Looking for a condo in Maui

Can anyone recommend a nice condo appropriate for children (ages 2,4) and several adults preferably in the Kanapalii area or Wailea area?
May 2nd, 2003, 07:52 PM

Kaanapali Alii is at the top of the list. Start there, if its in your $$$ range---book it.
May 3rd, 2003, 06:16 PM

Napili is just a few minutes up the road from Kannapali. Its very pretty and has a beautiful stretch of beach. There is the Napili Sunset and it is very nice, but unpretentious.
May 3rd, 2003, 08:15 PM

Linda - my favorite is Ka'anapali Ali'i. It's great!!! Another favorite is actually a townhouse community - Puamana - just on south edge of Lahaina. It has 3 pools, tennis courts, clubhouse, lots of space. Units are privately owned, so each is decorated differently, but I've not yet been disappointed. Only difference between this property & a condo, is that you don't have daily maid service. Most units have a washer & dryer.
May 5th, 2003, 09:28 AM

The major drawback of Puamana is that it is nowhere near a decent beach !!
May 5th, 2003, 10:15 AM

My husband and I are traveling w/his parents. Since we're also going on a 7 day cruse, we opted for a condo for cost considerations. We wanted to find something moderately priced. We were steered towards the Kaanapali Shores (an Aston property). It received a 4 golden apple rating in the Apples vacations brochure we picked up. While we're not traveling through an Apples package for this vacation, past experience on Apple vacations allows us to feel secure about the golden apple rating. When I looked at some condos in Wailea, they were either far too expensive. The ones in our price range did not sound too appealing. During our research, we concluded lodging in Wailea is more expensive. At the Kaanapali Shores, we booked a 2 br, 2 ba garden view condo for $284/nt w/the 4th nt free for the week of 5/18. They have ocenview units, too, but of course those cost more. Good luck.
May 5th, 2003, 10:58 AM

Just a note to previous poster hej. The Aston Kaanaplai Shores is not really on the beach known as Kaanapali, stretching between the Sheraton/Black Rock on the North and the Hyatt on the south. It is actually located north of black rock. This is not a bad thing unless you are imagining yourself in the area between the Hyatt and Black Rock.
May 5th, 2003, 12:24 PM

Last year, we stayed at the Outrigger Royal Kahana just north of Kaanapali. The property was great, the views spectacular and we paid $200/nt for a 2bedroom oceanfront condo. I'd recommend it to anyone.
May 5th, 2003, 12:35 PM

The beach in front of the Kaanapali Shores is very poor.
May 5th, 2003, 12:52 PM

www.vrbo.com (vacation rentals by owners)
May 5th, 2003, 01:30 PM

The Whaler is a good location and great beach if Alli is not for you. A few yrs ago, the Entertainment book had some condos in it, always worth a check. For adventure do the bike down in AM, Road to Hana, or helicopter ride.Enjoy a convertible!!!!
May 5th, 2003, 06:48 PM

About Kaanapali Shores -
The beach is not POOR. It is a very fine beach, not as wide as some others, but very nice. The Aston at Kaanapali is a really nice place to stay. We were there last year, this year, and will be going back next year.
The grounds are beautiful. There is an excellent restaurant right on the grounds - The Beach Club. It has reasonably priced meals. We thought the meals were VERY good - breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
The rooms are great and very comfortable, very nicely decorated. We had a terrific ocean view room.
May 5th, 2003, 07:29 PM

The beach in front of the Kaanapali Shores is not only narrow, it is almsot non existent at high tide, when the water comes right up to the sea wall. You can't walk north on the beach because it ends at the north end of the Kaanapali Shores property. There is no beach in fron of the next property to the north. And you can't swim on the beach in front of the Kaanapali Shores because of a large coral reef that is very close to shore. If you go a few properties south the beach is better but it is still far from one of the better beaches on Maui. If a great beach is a priority the Kaanapali Shores is not the place for you. View a picture of the Kaanapali Shores and its beach (complete with coral reef) at:

http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/mrkaanapalishores.html
May 6th, 2003, 05:00 PM

My recommendation would be Grand Champions Villas in Wailea. Great spot, great units, very reasonable prices if rented directly thru owner and not thru a management company. Check out www.ownerdirect.com for rentals.

Search this Thread