condo,timeshare or house rental in maui

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2005, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be traveling to Maui next July. A total of 6 people (4 adults 2 children). We thought it would be more economical to rent a condo, timeshare or house. However, I have never gone there, therefore by looking on the internet for these rentals can be a bit overwelming. Our needs would consist of a property with 2-3 brs, a pool (if a house), on the beach, an area with something going on. Our pricerange would be between $300-$400 per night. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 10:27 AM

Condos would probably be much cheaper than a house. I recommend the Hale Kamaole, the Maui Kamole, or the Kamaole Sands, all of which are in a row; they have reasonable rates and are right across from the very nice Kamaole Beach Park (I, II, and III), close to but not in Kihei (great restaurant selection, several supermarkets, lots of rental shops, etc.), and very close to all the fabulous south Maui beaches. All have 2 bdrm/2bth available (I think 3 also); Hale Kamaole has several 2 bdrm/2 bt that have an additional loft area with bed/dresser, etc.; my kids like that option)and is a low-rise, 2 pools, tennis courts, nice views (our favorite); nextdoor is a larger complex, the Kamaole Sands, which has beautiful landscaping, pools, hot tubs. A little pricier but very nice is on the other side of Hale Kamaole, the Maui Kamaole. I think these places are the best value and the best location on Maui. The rental rates for a 2 bdrm/2bt in all these places can be done for $150, often less, sometimes more, depending on season. You can find many available through the owners at VRBO.com, or through the many websites of companies that rent these properties. Kihei is 15-20 minutes from the airport, and is a good location for touring the whole island.
For your price range, if you really must spend the money, I'd go for the Makena Surf, a few miles south past Wailea; gorgeous, almost private beach, very nice place. Wailea also has several upscale condos, some closer to the beach (some on) than others. Just a little more research should get you situated nicely!
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 11:54 AM

Joadan,
Check out Puamana - it's a townhome community just on the southern edge of Lahaina. There are 3 pools & tennis courts on property. It's close enough, so that you can walk to shops, restaurants, activities, etc in Lahaina if you don't want to deal with finding parking - it's just far enough away so that you can go back to peace & quiet at the end of your day. The only negative thing I can say, is that the beach isn't great for swimming. You can check out some units thru private owners on www.vrbo.com - I've used them several times & never had a problem. Or you can go to the Whalers Realty site & click on "vacation rentals" & see some of the units they offer. There is also a printable map of the area, so you can see which units are actually oceanfront or oceanview.
Good luck,
Dianne
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks this is all valuable information. Now we need to select a location. An area not as congested, but also with a little nite life and things to do
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 01:10 PM
bonniebroad

joadan, what do you mean by "a little nightlife?" The Kaanapali/Lahaina area has more nightlife than Wailea, for example. But the real nightlife, as I think of nightlife, is on Oahu. What entertainment are you looking for at night?